PDA

View Full Version : pregnant and knackered

BlondeMoment
21-11-2011, 11:54 AM
I really don't know if anyone can help me but if anyone has any pointers or experience it'd be much appreciated.

I'm 8 weeks pregnant with my first baby and feeling dreadful.
I'm soo tired and emotional and every night I just want to collapse. We're not telling anyone yet because it's my first pregnancy and anything could happen but I've got to make some changes.

How on earth am I supposed to carry on looking after 5 kids every day feeling like this? I work from 7.30am to 7pm.

Every night my husband comes home to me in tears because I'm done in. I'm in bed and asleep by half 9 every day. I know it's supposed to get better after the 12th week but that's a month away!

I'm really struggling :(

Mouse
21-11-2011, 12:18 PM
Oh, you poor thing. It is really tough in those first few weeks when the tiredness kicks in. I always think that unless you've experinced it, you can't truely realise what it's like.

Is there any way you could cut down on your working hours? That's a long day for anyone to do, even if they're not pregnant. If you can't do that, cut down the amount you do during the day. If the children are happy to play by themselves, don't feel guilty about sitting down with your feet up. You'll still be watching them & looking after them, but you don't need to on the floor playng with them all the time.

On a practical level, make sure you are eating regularly to keep your energy levels up and go to bed as soon as you can after the last mindee has left. Get your husband to bring you food & drinks up. Even if you lie & read rather than go to sleep straight away, you will be resting. It will pass and you won't have to do that forever, but it will help for now.

Mrs Pootle
21-11-2011, 12:30 PM
:clapping: congratulations.

Good advice already given. You need to look after youself and rest as much as you can so look for ways to take it easy. e.g. Instead of running round the park with mindees, could you sit on a bench and watch them?

It won't be for ever, hopefully the tiredness will pass as your pregnancy progresses, although it is likely to come back as you get nearer your due date.

JCrakers
21-11-2011, 12:40 PM
It is knackering...:( I used to be a nanny and worked right up to a week before I had both of mine but when I was expecting my second child I was only working part time.

Just try and slow down, dont do as much. Make sure you sit down and make sure you are eating properly as well.
I know its very hard in this job to put yourself first but you should. It will get better soon and then the end will be tiring as the baby get heavier to carry.

Can you just let the children play whilst having a sit down?
Look after yourself...its very important

snufflepuff
21-11-2011, 12:50 PM
I'm 7 weeks pregnant so know exactly how you feel! Although to be honest I don't feel as bad as I did during my first pregnancy.
I have been trying to rest as much as possible- the children have been doing alot of free play, lol! I've been going to bed really early too. And I spent Saturday doing hardly anything, I just sat on the sofa watching films while my OH took care of our son, and I felt so much better for it. 4
Hope you feel better soon xxx

flowerpots
21-11-2011, 01:18 PM
Congratulations hun:clapping: . Great advice given and it will get better.:)

The Juggler
21-11-2011, 01:57 PM
oh hun. the first 12 weeks are tough. i worked in an office with both of mine. I used to sit in the loo and cry I was so tired, used to come home, eat dinner and pass out and second time round, we had an interview room with sofas (I worked in HR) and I used to go in there and have a sleep :laughing: :laughing:

hopefully it will ease off after 12 weeks and you'll be ok then until you are tired, huge and puffing everywhere at 38 weeks!

kindredspirits
21-11-2011, 02:03 PM
I am at the huge tired and puffing everywhere stage! I have to say though I found the first 12 weeks the hardest by far, even now at nearly 36 weeks and feeling like the size of a whale, nothing compares to that first bought of tiredness, not to mention the fact that you have to retrain yourself to take it slow and easy. think what your body is doing, the amazing changes that are happening to that tiny bunch of cells and you will realise why it really takes it out of you so much.

do loads of free play - don't panic about not being too interactive. make sure you encourage the older LO's to tidy up after themselves before changing toys so you have to crawl around less.

BlondeMoment
21-11-2011, 08:03 PM
Thank you so much everyone for your sympathy and supportive advise.

I've been trying to take more of a supervisory role. To be honest sitting and playing with them isn't so much of a problem. What really does me in is the school runs and all the lugging toddlers in and out of the car. And of course cooking them all a meal in the evening :eek:

I live in a really small house so everything happens in the lounge. At dinner time I have to lug a table into the middle of the room and set it up to eat, then it all needs putting away again so I can hoover the carpet before the kids can play again. And all within a time limit so they're all fed by pick up times.

I just feel really miserable at the moment and like I can't cope. This job takes energy I just don't have at the moment.

If only we could take some maternity leave in the first 12 weeks :cool:

BlondeMoment
21-11-2011, 08:05 PM
oh hun. the first 12 weeks are tough. i worked in an office with both of mine. I used to sit in the loo and cry I was so tired, used to come home, eat dinner and pass out and second time round, we had an interview room with sofas (I worked in HR) and I used to go in there and have a sleep :laughing: :laughing:

hopefully it will ease off after 12 weeks and you'll be ok then until you are tired, huge and puffing everywhere at 38 weeks!

I think I'll need to start my maternity leave before that stage LOL :laughing:

BlondeMoment
21-11-2011, 08:06 PM
I'm 7 weeks pregnant so know exactly how you feel! Although to be honest I don't feel as bad as I did during my first pregnancy.
I have been trying to rest as much as possible- the children have been doing alot of free play, lol! I've been going to bed really early too. And I spent Saturday doing hardly anything, I just sat on the sofa watching films while my OH took care of our son, and I felt so much better for it. 4
Hope you feel better soon xxx

Congratulations! What's your due date?

miffy
21-11-2011, 08:24 PM
Congratulations :clapping: Sorry you're having a tough time atm but it will ease once you're over the first 3 months.

You need to see if there's anything you can do to make life easier for yourself - cut down your hours, stop giving meals, get help to do the school runs - even small changes might make a big difference to how you feel.

Take care of yourself

Miffy xx

rhea26
21-11-2011, 08:44 PM
Ah I know where your coming from, I'm 8 weeks pregnant with my 3rd, 1st time I had morning sickness for 20 weeks then with my 2nd I had sickness for 2 weeks, at the moment I feel shattered and have morning sickness, not nice when were at the park feeling like I'm going to be sick!
Hope you start feeling better soon and take it easy!

BlondeMoment
22-11-2011, 12:22 PM
Ah I know where your coming from, I'm 8 weeks pregnant with my 3rd, 1st time I had morning sickness for 20 weeks then with my 2nd I had sickness for 2 weeks, at the moment I feel shattered and have morning sickness, not nice when were at the park feeling like I'm going to be sick!
Hope you start feeling better soon and take it easy!

Congratulations! When is your due date?
I've been feeling a bit sick too. Not actually been sick but feel like I just got off a horrible theme park ride