PDA

View Full Version : Potty Training

kel1983
21-11-2011, 10:36 AM
I have a mindee who turned 2 last week. His mum decided on Friday that she would spend the weekend potty training him.

So this morning has turned up with no nappy on and has said he spent Sunday with no nappy on and was using the potty when he needed to go. She wants me to carry on letting him run around with no nappy on and only put nappy on at sleep time.

Surely 1 day doesnt to mean he is fully potty trained. What if I was going to take the children out.

Oh he has already had one accident on my sofa which I think scared him a little as he has been sitting on the pot for the last half hour :panic:

How have you guys coped with potty training. Is iit ok for him to run around with no pants on?

I reaally support parents in their decisions but they really dont think about how it will work when they are with me

appleblossom
21-11-2011, 11:20 AM
Due to H & S and Safeguarding I will not allow children to go unclothed in any way whilst potty training. Your LO is not potty trained. If he sits on the potty and doesn't do anything then wets afterwards he is not ready. Can he tell you when he needs to go? If not he is not trained. it is you and the parents who are trained.....to put him on the potty regularly.

IME it is rare for a child to be ready at just 2.

I currently care for 2 2.5 year old girls. 2 weeks ago Mum of one of them announced that LO was going pants/nappy free at home and the potty is left out and she uses it.
I had to tell Mum I can't leave potty out as there are two other LOs running around. The little girl did not tell me once in 3 days that she needed to go.
She arrived at mine in Pull ups each day and didn't ask for the potty/toilet once. I did ask regularly if she needed to go but she always said no. I changed the Pull ups regularly as I wuld her nappy.
I discovered after a week or so of this that Mum had been given some pull ups and decided to have a go. LO is now using nappies again in my setting and either pull ups or nothing at home. (very confusing for LO). Mum admits that there are lots of accidents.

I would say to Mum of your LO that you need nappies for him as he is not ready and say maybe try again in a few months.

rickysmiths
21-11-2011, 12:05 PM
I do not do potty training full stop!!!

It is the parents job to do. I recommend when we both decide the lo is ready for them to take at least a week, if not two off work and stay at home with lo and crack it.

I then continue to support but on the clear understanding that I will have NO bare bottoms, there is no way I can just leave a potty out for them to use when they feel like it, and I will not EVER tolerate my house being used as a toilet and if they are having more than the very odd accident they go back into nappies and we try again when they are ready. I am a moody whatsit and I won't have pull ups, I hate them. Nappy companies money spinner!!!

I would not even try on a child less than 2.5yrs as they are not usually ready before this. I go back to when my dd was this age and the goal set was that they should be dry between 2yr 9mth and 3yrs before they went to Playgroup because unless there was some medical reason they would not take them in nappies (there were no pull ups 15yrs ago!!). This actually I think is a very good guide.

I can not understand parents who go through all these traumas when they don't have to because when the lo is ready it will happen very quickly.

JCrakers
21-11-2011, 12:45 PM
Definitly a 'No' from me. Im fine with potty training as long as they wear pullups for the first few days. Then they can get used to the potty, the up and down pant and I use these whilst we go out to.

There is no way I will have a child weeing all over the floor and my furniture.

Usually, if they are ready (and a lot of children aren't) you can potty train a child in under a week. If they are not ready Its pointless as it will go on for weeks.

After the pullups for the first 2-3 days I then go on to pants but still wear pullups when we go out until I know thye re good at holding in case we cant get to a toilet in time.
:D
I have trained a lot of children

nipper
21-11-2011, 04:52 PM
Boys are never ready until they are at least three (although someone will no doubt come along and blast this theory out of the water).
I didn't even begin trying with my son until after his little sister was born at 2yrs 10 months. He was dry/ clean in about 6-8 weeks. The thought of two lots of nappies was tooo much.
Girls are much better, dd did it in half the time. Problem was ds would poo and then just sit in it, rather than tell me.

I would be happy to support potty training but having had a potty within close reach i.e. the corner of the room my son was in, this would just not be possible or acceptable whilst working as a childminder. As for the bit where he is running around commando, no way not happening.

Is this mum a first timer? Did she think he would achieve it all by himself overnight???

kel1983
21-11-2011, 06:01 PM
Thanks guys. Well I prompted him every so often to sit him on the pot and it seemed to work. We made a big thing of it when he had a wee on the pot.

As for the no pants I didnt like this at all. I found a pair of tracksuit bottoms in the spare clothes I have and put them on him (better than the jeans mum put on him). Wasnt a bad as I thought I was going to be.

This is a first time mum who thinks now he is 2 he should be out of nappys.

nipper
21-11-2011, 06:37 PM
All I used to do with my own son was make a mental note of when he had had a drink and then just leave his pants on the bottom half, then he could pull them down and up by himself. The important thing is not to make them sit for ages because it just gets upsetting for everyone. And if he does have an accident...just let it go.

kel1983
23-11-2011, 11:40 AM
Another update

Yesterday we had no wet pants at all. Still have to prompt to use the potty though but doing well. He still doenst relise he needs to pull his pants down so I need to do that for him. Yesterday I did allow him to have his pants on without his trousers.

Today he has track suit bottoms on. He has so far had no accidents. We have been up the town to the market and back to the park (about an hour and half) without going. I am so impressed. Fingers crossed for the rest of the day.

We are making a big thing of it when he does go on the potty. We all clap and cheer for him.

JCrakers
23-11-2011, 12:27 PM
Another update

Yesterday we had no wet pants at all. Still have to prompt to use the potty though but doing well. He still doenst relise he needs to pull his pants down so I need to do that for him. Yesterday I did allow him to have his pants on without his trousers.

Today he has track suit bottoms on. He has so far had no accidents. We have been up the town to the market and back to the park (about an hour and half) without going. I am so impressed. Fingers crossed for the rest of the day.

We are making a big thing of it when he does go on the potty. We all clap and cheer for him.

Sounds like its going well...