PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Presents and Taxable expenses?

FizzWizz
20-11-2011, 05:26 PM
Hello!

Have just had a bit of a mammoth xmas present shop for DS (2) and DD (4). My query is how many of their xmas pressies can I claim as expenses for my business?

Ultimately all toys are incorporated in my setting and can be used by all my mindees so does this mean I can claim them as expenses or would the HMRC frown on this?

What do those of you who have children the same age as mindees do?:panic:

miss mopple
20-11-2011, 05:35 PM
I would put a percentage through if they will be used for business as well I think. Personally I dont put mine through as I dont make my kids share their toys at all, but if they outgrow them I buy them from them out of expenses at second hand rates

Chatterbox Childcare
20-11-2011, 05:48 PM
I think that if you are buying them for your children then they are not a business expense but when they have outgrown them I would buy them off of them.

The ultimate answer will come from the HMRC so give them a call.

wendywu
20-11-2011, 09:15 PM
Oh you lot are so honest you will go to heaven.

I used to put all toys through my accounts when mine were little, cannot do it now though, do not think i would get away with Pandora and Uggs :laughing:

Pipsqueak
20-11-2011, 09:28 PM
Oh you lot are so honest you will go to heaven.

:

just what I was thinking..... sometimes there is honesty and then there is honesty:rolleyes:

Chatterbox Childcare
21-11-2011, 12:42 PM
hmmmmmmmmmmmmm you just don't know who is reading lol

craftygirl
29-11-2011, 02:13 PM
Really good question! Its awful but i'm actually buying presents that I know I can use for minding as well as I can't afford to buy both! I hadn't even thought about the expenses side of it. Did you ring HMRC? If so what was the answer?