PDA

View Full Version : newbie- what to expect

cat lady at 38
20-11-2011, 11:25 AM
hi everybody.newbie to this just had ofsted pre-reg, she was lovely but asked so many questions going to be working with my daughters co minding so they helped me out with questions as im a bit rusty with eyfs, ofsted lost all my original paperwork but once submitted they completed 4 lots of paperwork crbs and evrything else within 11 DAYS!!!!!!!!!!! yes im gobsmaked, have small action on garden which should be completed by the time they send the letter, so will return that straight away and hopefully be up and running for january. evrything had been going so slow, i know why now (lost paperwork) but then evrthing has happedned so quick so really excited about new adventure, just wanted to ask 2 of us are in very secure good paid jobs, obviously not leaving untill contracts and deposits paid, i live in bromley kent, please tell me if business is slow here in this area, being in the middle of three town centres, catford bromley and lewisham i would expect business to be ok. especially as nursery at the end of the road has closed down, shame im not ready now, anyway a little idea of what to expect would be really helpfull to me many thanks for your comments in advance

The Juggler
22-11-2011, 02:06 PM
hi hon, sorry you've had no replies. i don't live in your area. it's quieter for work than normal but lots of parents looking for either 2 children part-time or full time with one child.

Not sure about bromley - sorry. good luck though:)

Carolh
22-11-2011, 03:24 PM
I am also in a very secure job and going to give it up for childminding so know what you mean, its quite scary - but at the end of the day you sometimes just have to take that risk ! I know I will much happier looking after children than sitting in an office every day !

PrincessFiona
22-11-2011, 07:44 PM
After all the excitment of being registered and giving in my notice at work I am now waiting patiently for those elusive mindees! Fingers crossed.

The Juggler
22-11-2011, 08:50 PM
if it helps I also gave up a full time job to CM. it was in 2004 though. I waited until I had one full time child and a siblign (min. I needed to earn). I did not hand in notice until parent had signed a contract and given me a non-refundable months fees deposit.

that way if parent then lets you down and doesn't start you have a months money same as you would if you were already minding and someone gave notice.

Do not give up your job without a months deposit and make it absolutely clear it is non-refundable :thumbsup:

Carolh
28-11-2011, 05:44 PM
Is it okay to ask for a months up front fee as a deposit - I would feel a bit embarassed asking, but I guess thats what I would need to do so I know that they are serious before I hand in my notice at work! Is it the norm to ask for a deposit - obviously I am very new to all this (and probably a bit green).