PDA

View Full Version : WWYD - Unsafe to play out

gigglinggoblin
19-11-2011, 06:31 PM
I have 3 almost 3 year olds, I dont use my garden much because its really small and atm not suitable due to all the stuff in it. So we use the park or go somewhere else. Trouble is one of the kids has started running away, she is really fast and if I dont keep my eye on her she will be gone. There are no places that lock the kids in locally! If I am watching her like a hawk I cant keep my eye on the other two. 2 of them are only here during school hours and its only 1 day a week, would you just not bother going out? I have considered alternatives like going to see the ducks on baby reins but its not the same as running around. Wwyd?

sarah707
19-11-2011, 06:58 PM
When I have a runner I put them on reins and they stay on reins until they have gone past that phase.

Maybe you could meet up with another childminder at the park and help each other keep an eye on them all.

Also play lots of stop / start games to teach the lo to stop on demand.

Hth :D

cupcake22
19-11-2011, 07:05 PM
I always have mine on reigns when we are out. If they run off further than I would like when we are in the park I make them hold onto the pram while we are walking. Normally the threat of having to walk with the pram is enough to make then not run off.Works every time lol.

Cupcake22

blue bear
19-11-2011, 07:17 PM
Is there nit somewhere indoors where you could take them to run about? Soft play, big hall for toddlers, another childminders garden, other than that what about a retractable dog lead to attach to the runners harness until this phase passes

jane5
19-11-2011, 07:24 PM
I always take reins out with me when I have my runner who is nearly 4.

He is usually good with me but really bad with mum. I sat him down and explained why he needs to stay with me, because I care about him and I want to keep him safe and I offer stickers and small rewards each time he doesnt run away.

I dont think mum explained why he shouldnt run away, just said it was naughty because he really listened to what I was telling him about stranger danger.

I would put reins on her and walk to the swings with her and to the slide ect... and tell her you need to keep her safe because you care about her.

gigglinggoblin
19-11-2011, 07:29 PM
She is on reins if walking (love the retractable lead idea lol). The problem is if we go to the playground and she wants to use the equipment I cant hold them and have to stand over her the whole time. If I kept hold of them she couldnt use the equipment. Also the others stay within boundaries (there is a fence and I can see them all easily) so they can run off but if she is on reins I cant move around to get over to them if I need to, same if I am standing over her so I dont feel its safe to go - partly her running off but mostly being able to support all 3 of them to use the equipment. If there was another cm I would still be just with this child and it feels a bit mean to expect the other cm to do all the helping. Mindee is a good judge of when you are not paying 100% attention and will bolt when the opportunity arises! We can walk places but if I let the others run off I would feel mean not letting her go because she loves it! I dont think she is quite at the stage of understanding that she has to prove she wont run before I let her go so she would just be upset. But I also dont want the others to miss out. We do go places they can run around inside so they get plenty of exercise, its more that our outdoor play is seriously limited by this, it only started recently but I dont want to put them at risk. Do you think it is a problem to not have physical outdoor play other than walking just for this day?

Wendybird
19-11-2011, 07:51 PM
It is hard to say it is ok, as it doesn't follow guidelines. BUT, if they are walking outside on this day and having physical exercise in other places I would (personally) be ok with that. I would sort your garden out ASAP though as I doubt ofsted would think it was ok for any length of time.

mushpea
19-11-2011, 08:08 PM
i would let her off the reins at the park and the first time she runs off warn her that the next time she will have the reins back on and not be able to play and carry this out,, after 10mins of not playing let her off and try again untill she eventually understands that she cant just run off,, you could also give stickers when she does stay with you and give stickers to the others for not running off too so she can see that if shes good she gets somthing nice.
if its only one day and you are out walking anyway then they are getting fresh air and excersie so thats ok but its not ok not to take them to a park because one child cant behave as then the others are missing out aswell and its not fair if they do behave.

jane5
20-11-2011, 04:51 PM
She is on reins if walking (love the retractable lead idea lol). The problem is if we go to the playground and she wants to use the equipment I cant hold them and have to stand over her the whole time. If I kept hold of them she couldnt use the equipment. Also the others stay within boundaries (there is a fence and I can see them all easily) so they can run off but if she is on reins I cant move around to get over to them if I need to, same if I am standing over her so I dont feel its safe to go - partly her running off but mostly being able to support all 3 of them to use the equipment. If there was another cm I would still be just with this child and it feels a bit mean to expect the other cm to do all the helping. Mindee is a good judge of when you are not paying 100% attention and will bolt when the opportunity arises! We can walk places but if I let the others run off I would feel mean not letting her go because she loves it! I dont think she is quite at the stage of understanding that she has to prove she wont run before I let her go so she would just be upset. But I also dont want the others to miss out. We do go places they can run around inside so they get plenty of exercise, its more that our outdoor play is seriously limited by this, it only started recently but I dont want to put them at risk. Do you think it is a problem to not have physical outdoor play other than walking just for this day?

If she is judging when you are not paying 100% attention and then bolting she is able to understand that if she runs she will be punished. I would let the mindees that can be trusted walk freely but for this childs own safety she would be on reins even if she gets upset. Children must learn that there are consequences to their actions.

I have several part time children and there are some days that I would not take the mindees to the park on my own as they all need individual help and other days with different children that going to the park is ok. I would make your garden safe asap as this is going to be the safest option for you.