PDA

View Full Version : Babysitting and childminding

retha
18-11-2011, 11:30 PM
One of my parents asked if I would be willing to babysit her 2 children (age 5 and 3 yrs) one Saturday evening while they go out to a Christmas event. I currently provide after school care for her 5yr old.

My question is, how do I deal with this with regards to paperwork? Is it seen as completely separate from the childminding I offer, or what am I required to do?

I obviously have insurance to cover the 5yr old I already care for but will this cover his 3yr old brother?

And with regards to income & expenses, do I put it through my accounts with my childminding things as normal?

Sorry for all the questions, just want to make sure I do things right. I was thinking if it all works out well I would like to offer this kind of service to my other parents as well in the future.

Pipsqueak
19-11-2011, 08:38 AM
Babysitting in the childs home is completely separate from your childminding.
However if you are NCMA member with insurance you are covered by this insurance providing you use the NCMA Babysitting Checklist paperwork.

The insurance that you carry for minding does not automatically carry over to babysitting though (refer to above)

Penny1959
20-11-2011, 06:47 AM
I agree with Pipsqeak - it is completely seperate

I babysit one of my mindees - in fact I often take her home and babysit straight from a day of childminding.

This means I sign her out of my childminding setting and then take her home to bed.

Mum can only claim on tax credits for the hours that I childmind the child not the hours that I babysit - even though I change the same - and in fact more for overnight babysitting.

Also the babysitting is not contracted like childminding - it is on a each time basis - so I can say yes or no to any requests for baby sitting.

Hope that helps a bit (oh and yes if you have NCMA insurance do use the babysitting checklist - silly not to really as at least then you have some insurance cover)

Penny :)

Chatterbox Childcare
20-11-2011, 08:31 AM
I didn't know about the cover of insurance thank you