PDA

View Full Version : How many children does everyone look after?

RedDragon
16-05-2008, 03:20 PM
Don't know if it's been asked before, I have searched the forum but can't find a thread so hope no-one minds me starting one.

I know that we are only insured for a certain amount of children we mind (is it 10?).

I was just wondering how many everyone minds and if there is a limit to how many everyone thinks is too much.

One of the reasons I'm asking is because I'm always being approached by parents who need Childcare and there may be a day where, wait for it...........if I said yes to the latest parent I would be looking after 10! It would only be for 1.5 hours - I only look after before and after school (mainly after school) and they would all be school age.

There are not many childminders where I live so work is always available.

Would love to know what people think.

miffy
16-05-2008, 03:23 PM
NCMA insurance now covers you for 12 children.

The most I will have at any time is 9 age range from 1 to 11 years old - that is plenty for me

miffy xx

Banana
16-05-2008, 03:27 PM
I have 4 on my books, all part time, all under 5's.

I have a variation for wednesdays and thursdays to allow me 3 mindees plus my daughter.

That is enough for me. Even though they are part time, they all add up to full time hours and im full all week.

ANymore than that I would be mental I think :laughing:

x

berkschick
16-05-2008, 03:29 PM
I have 9 on my books but only ever have 3 minded ones here at a time as I have a variation for Thursday and Fridays. I do have 4 children of my own though so during the holidays I have 7 aged from 13 years to 5 months.

Blaze
16-05-2008, 03:30 PM
:D TBH I really think it depends on the kids involved...IYSWIM

scottie
16-05-2008, 03:35 PM
i look after 2 full time under 3 and 1 part time who is 5 and 2 part time who are 8 and 1 partime who is 11 that enough for me right now but i have in the past looked after 10 [only for a shot time ]

the way i look at it if you can cope with a large number then go for it

good luck:thumbsup:

crazybones
16-05-2008, 03:37 PM
During school hols I could have 9 (that is including my own 3). They are not my favorite days. I have done the school run for 2 weeks with 11 children - not good. Never again.

mrsbumbles
16-05-2008, 03:39 PM
I have 8 mindees ranging from 8mths to 9yrs :thumbsup:

sarah32
16-05-2008, 03:40 PM
I have 3 full timers under 3 years. Would love some after schools but dont get the enquiries.

RedDragon
16-05-2008, 03:46 PM
I'm very lucky to be honest in that the children I look after are all really well behaved, nice, friendly children.

In the past couple of years I can remember the times I have had to shout - once when they got manic in my living room and someone trod on my long curtains and the pole snapped (can you believe that 2 days later there was a brand new pole bought by a parent on my doorstep) and the other time has been when one of the children (now moved on as he went to big school) showed off his karate moves and accidently hit a child on the nose resulting in a nose bleed.

I know that Ofsted say you can have so many children (and have to include your own etc) but I never knew how many everyone else had.

I agree where you say if you can cope then fair enough and to be honest I can, but I just wanted to see what others thought. :thumbsup: :D

Splish Splosh
16-05-2008, 03:49 PM
I have 3 full timers ranging from 10 months to 4 years. I have 3 of my own children as well.

Kelly
16-05-2008, 04:08 PM
I agree where you say if you can cope then fair enough and to be honest I can, but I just wanted to see what others thought. :thumbsup: :D

I think if you can cope and the children are well behaved and get along you should go for it, you never know what's around the corner.

I have a variation to have 4 under 5 and one after schoolie, and two children of my own, I am not allowed any more 5-8 because of my variation.

Kelly

sarah707
16-05-2008, 04:10 PM
I never have more than 3 at a time because of fitting them in the car in an emergency :D

RedDragon
16-05-2008, 04:14 PM
I don't have a car - just tired, aching feet.:yawning:

disney
16-05-2008, 04:17 PM
i have five on my books but they are all before & after school , just have one in the day all day & three in school hols :) x

haribo
16-05-2008, 04:45 PM
ive got a 10 month old, 2 year old am getting another 10 month old in sept, and three after school, there all term time only x

Pauline
16-05-2008, 04:47 PM
I think you are very brave! But you sound like you can cope and that is the main thing :thumbsup:

I have a minder friend who only does before and after school and has up to 10 children at a time, she is so exhausted sometimes ...... but she is nearly 60!! :eek:

We (hubby and myself work together) have 7 under 5's on the books, we prefer the little ones and only have 5 at any one time, but that is enough for us :) Two will become before and after schoolers in Sept though.

Good luck and enjoy! ;)

christine e
16-05-2008, 04:56 PM
Hi
I have twelve on my books mainly after school children. On one evening after school I have 9 but by the time we have walked home from school and had tea the first one is leaving. Out of the 9 six are 8 and over, two are 5-8 and I have one two year old so I can cope but I must admit I wouldn't want it every night, the other nights I have six or seven but I only have one or two that are under 5 so I don't find it too dificult

Christine

Alibali
16-05-2008, 04:59 PM
I have 3 full timers ranging from 10 months to 4 years. I have 3 of my own children as well.

same here, can't imagine having any more:(

Ali x

ajs
16-05-2008, 05:00 PM
there was a time not so long ago that i had 14 on my books but some of those were only after schoolies and then only one week a month but now i am down to 4 3 under 2 and 1 aged 6
in sept i sign another 2 1 4yrold and 1 6yr old then in january i start full time with another baby the brother of one of my under2s so by january i'll be up to 7 which is definately enough for me

oakie dokie
16-05-2008, 05:06 PM
i have 3 full timers on my books and 1 sibling at school. so 4 altogether and 1 parent expecting a baby so will have to apply for 4 but not till January. but only 1 in school hols because my parent s are teachers.:clapping:

hazelx

barbarella68
16-05-2008, 05:07 PM
Hi,
I think I am really lucky I look after 3 before and after school (all until 6)and a baby (7 months)8.30am until 12.30pm Monday to Friday.So 4 in all:)

marian
16-05-2008, 05:12 PM
I look after 4 girls from 1yr to 2 1/2 years.
1 full timer the rest part time over 5 days term time only.
Plus one 9yr old a few mornings for the school run.:)

RedDragon
16-05-2008, 05:13 PM
Hi
I have twelve on my books mainly after school children. On one evening after school I have 9 but by the time we have walked home from school and had tea the first one is leaving. Out of the 9 six are 8 and over, two are 5-8 and I have one two year old so I can cope but I must admit I wouldn't want it every night, the other nights I have six or seven but I only have one or two that are under 5 so I don't find it too difficult

Christine
Yes, the ones I have 2 don't even get through the door because older siblings are waiting by big school but of course these have to be counted in my numbers (not very cost effective for me but I have been looking after them a long time and couldn't get rid of them just because they were getting older and becoming more independant).

My routine is walk home slowly :D table either outdoors or indoors (depending on weather) and as the children are doing their homework I make toast, drinks and cut up fruit. After that another 2 are ready for home - 30 mins play and everyone bar 1 has gone. The last child is a darling and enjoys any activity I offer (colouring, building blocks, jigsaws, train track, sand pit etc etc). He is the only child that I have to cook for but it's usually something microwavable that his mum has prepared earlier.

The other thing is because of all the after school clubs available round here the chances of me taking all of the children home are quite small butof course I have to keep within my numbers just incase there is a day where no child go to after school.

Hope I'm not waffling too much.:blush:

Wendy Woo
16-05-2008, 05:19 PM
I ahve 2 two yr olds all week, My son 18mths and two 7yr old b4 and afta school. Thats plenty for me. Wouldnt have anywhere to put 12 kids!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Michelle M
16-05-2008, 06:35 PM
I have a variation for every day to look after 3 under 5's one is 7 months, 23 months, and 2.5 plus my own daughters 14 months and 7 years old. I have an after schooler on Mondays only and I have a 5 year old in the holidays only, thats plenty for me :)

charleyfarley
16-05-2008, 06:43 PM
In the past I've had 8 which I found way to many in the school holidays as couldn't use the car.

Now I only have 1 full timer

A before and after schooler

A holiday contract

Just gave notice last week to 2 mindees so did have more

I have another full timer starting Sept, so that will be plenty for me

Also have my own two children

Carol xx

gailee
16-05-2008, 06:54 PM
Hi at the moment i have 5 term time and 2 of my own (over 8 years)

1 @ 14 months old 3 full days (sometimes 5 days),
1 @10 months 7 hours a week,
twins (5 years old) after school(term time only) 5 days and another also after school 5 days finishing soon? also took on just school holidays he's nearly 5 years old and his 2 older sisters (over 8 years)3 hours a day! and i'm having 5 month old baby in September and her sibling after school 3 or 4 days a week?? and i'm never been this busy in 4 years of doing this job!! and i think i prefer under 5's than the older children???? ;)

mrsb
16-05-2008, 06:56 PM
I have 5 part timers plus my own 2 little monkeys:laughing:

manjay
16-05-2008, 07:03 PM
I have 7 part timers and my own 3. Friday is my busiest as I have 8 walking home. They are used to the rules now and are reasonably well behaved. I only have one 1 year old two days a week and the rest are after schoolies. I also have a new full timer starting in September.

amanda xx

Pudding Girl
16-05-2008, 07:51 PM
My registration only allows me to have 4 at any one time - and tbh I wouldn't be comfortable with more than that.

At the moment I have 2 on my books at 27hrs each and hopefully in a week or two, will have another 2 on my books, one at 20hrs and a wrap around - they won't clash too much either which is important to me.

Mags
16-05-2008, 08:17 PM
starting next week i have two full timers aged one and two and a half. did have part timer but today was her last day :(

don't think i would have more than three though because i like to get out and about in the car.

Amaranth
16-05-2008, 08:32 PM
We (me n hubby work together) have 22 kids on our books. The most we have in one go is 10 (due to our insurance limitations) We are quite lucky in the fact that quite a few of the kids don't come in the hols for various reasons so we are not too chaotic :laughing: Max we would have in one go during school hols is 8. That way we could still go out as we have 2 cars.

squiggle
16-05-2008, 08:38 PM
i have 6 on my books

1 x 11 month old 2 days
1 x 14month old 2 days
1 x 20 months old 3 days (sometimes 4)
3 x 5 year old 2 night school pick up

its enough for me

and my dd who is 2 and half

Jen x

Gherkin
16-05-2008, 10:24 PM
I have 7 on my books plus my own two children but the most I have in the house at any one time including my own children is 5. The house could not cope with much more. Mind you on June I could be up to 6. Age ranges 6m, 2, 3, 6, 8, 11.

Cammie Doodle
16-05-2008, 10:28 PM
I have 7 on my books (soon to be 8)

1x 9mths 3 days
1x 4yrs 2days
2x 2yrs 2 days
1x2yrs 1 day

1x 6yrs 1 day after school

1x 8yrs 4days after school

1x10 yrs 4 days after school

I used to have 10 on my books, but would not want that many again if I can help it .
My idea is to have 3 x mindees 3 days a week Tues Wed and Thurs, but when that happens who knows lol

Shirlwith3
17-05-2008, 06:17 AM
I have a 2 1/2yr old full time
3yr full time but on temp contract
It's really quiete round here at the mo
Shirl

littletreasures
17-05-2008, 07:21 AM
I have 4 on my books.
One full time
One before and after school
One 1 1/2 days a week
One 3 days a week.

I am losing both my part timers in July, but hoping to get 2 before and after school and a baby 2 days a week. Parents are both coming to see me next week.

littletreasures