PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone got a light box?

Mouse
18-11-2011, 04:26 PM
If so, what do you use it for?

I have some different coloured perspex shapes that the children like to look though. I show them how they can put 2 different colours together to make a 3rd colour. It works best if we hold them up to the window & I thought they'd be perfect with a light box.

I then wondered what else I could use one for, but can't think of anything!

Penny1959
18-11-2011, 04:33 PM
Carol M and I have recently brought one between us (poor Carol has yet to have her turn :blush: but will be getting it to use next week)

Anyway I have the colour paddles, some sparly buttons in different shapes and colours - and best of all some wrappers from some sweets in different colours. (Mindess and NCMA chair had a great time playing with it today)

Next year (when mindees older I plan to look at leaves and other natural objects on it and use coloured material

Will be interested in other posts on this for more ideas

Penny :)

miffy
18-11-2011, 05:05 PM
No, but I would like one very much.

What size did you get Penny and how many mindees can comfortably use it at once?

Miffy xx

loocyloo
18-11-2011, 05:44 PM
DHs old company were throwing one out :eek: and so he asked if i could have it!

its about A3 size, thick & chunky!

we look at leaves on it, coloured perspex shapes, squidgy gel numbers, made stained glass windows and looked at them. also for a different 'base' to count and sort on, also finger tracing letters & patterns

to be honest, i don't use it that often, mainly because i can't think what to do with it!

but when we do have it the children love it!

i did google it ages ago, and got all odd thing, like putting teasets on it and pouring water etc ... ???

Penny1959
18-11-2011, 06:43 PM
Ours is a bit bigger than A3 size - we got it at NCMA conference for a bargain £55

Used on the coffee table with access on 3 sides it was just right for 4 mindees and 1 ncma chair - I couldn't play as not room for me. However it does depend on how mindees want to play because if they want to spread thingsout or experiment with put different colours on top of each other then 2 mindees would be better. (mine just put thingson and off at the moment - but they do love it.

And it is dribble proof and so far banging things on it proof!

Penny :)

uf353432
18-11-2011, 07:32 PM
I have one and have a few examples of what I have done.

colour mixing with coloured water. Use a acrylic tray and let the children mix various coloured water together using plastic clear cups or small glasses.

sliced agates

laminated leaves

mixture of transparent and opaque materials oiled beads skeleton leaves lollipop sticks etc. So children can make their own pictures.

a transparent tray with a thin layer of sand. when the children draw on the sand the light shines through.

and my most favourite activity is polymer water beads. they are little beads which when soaked in water absorb it all and they are a fab sensory experience with the light shining through them. I use transparent ones and use sheets of coloured transparency film to play with colour.

I do use coloured paddles and geometric shapes as well and sometimes add a mirror to shoe reflection and symmetry.

glitter is another cool resource to use on there as well.

Wendybird
18-11-2011, 07:54 PM
I have not invested in a 'proper' light table as of yet (want one though!). I have a clear underbed storage box that I put christmas lights in. I also use it as my indoor sensory bin, messy play, etc. We used it last week as a lightbox for a diwali activity - fingerpainting rangoli patterns on the plastic lid. Kids loved it and really easy to clean up. There is a blog called Play At Home Mom which has tons of ideas for the lightbox (and creative play in general). They have a facebook page too. I have serious playroom envy when I go on there!

Dragonfly
18-11-2011, 10:08 PM
That sounds good wendybird :thumbsup:

Pandypops
18-11-2011, 10:21 PM
Oh wow - that blog is brilliant. Great ideas!!