PDA

View Full Version : are childminders loosing their identity

lou lou
17-11-2011, 08:42 PM
i feel quite strongly about this i think childminders are loosing their identity with everything we have to do, i am just a little fed up today after having a visit from my child development officer and saying my learning journals are not quite good enough need to elaborate on them a bit more, more bits of work that i need to do, i should risk assess my house everyday and tick it off, said i should be sharing information with the school dont know how i am susposed to do that because as soon as i pick them up from school they all come running up to me so my only interest is to stop them running off and getting into danger let alone speak to any teachers should this not be the job of the parents after all i only have them for two hours a day, she said i need to move away from plastic as ofsted dont like it she said i could do things like cover my table with cling film and just let them have some paint and do some mark making ok this is fine but it is still my home and i really dont want paint everywhere. Also need to get some construction things in my garden like bits of wood for them to build ok this is fine but it is at the end of the day it is a garden and do like it to look a bit like a garden. All this is fine but what happned to being a childminder and a home from home enviroment i had one parent visit said she wanted a child minder as she prefered it because it was home from home and nursery were to structured and did not want that, another parent is happy as long as their children are happy, all my parents are happy with what i do i love my job but all this paper work just gets me down i work very long hours sometimes 12 hour days with no break i am not a nursery where i get a lunch hour, or have a cleaner, or a cook, or paid holidays i am a childminder what it says in the title so why cant we be childminders.

Joda
17-11-2011, 08:45 PM
Well said - couldn't agree more!

Pipsqueak
17-11-2011, 08:50 PM
you'll only loose your identity IF you go along with crazy and daft suggestions by people who actually have no clue about childminding and only from a nursery viewpoint.

Ok the suggestions may be well meaning but challenge them and explain the childminders view.

A DO's word is NOT gospel, law or enshrined in the EYFS... its their interpretation of something and suggestion only. If you aren't confrontational then just nod sweetly to them, thank them for their interest and input and then file it away

mufftie
17-11-2011, 08:53 PM
Think your do is being a little over the top , my ofsted Inspector told me there's no need for too much paper work , just as long as I show that I Do different activities through photos etc she was more than happy , different people have different ideas so don't just take her advice and stress about it

~Grasshopper~
17-11-2011, 08:54 PM
i agree :D i just ignore my do, take all her bits of paper smile and say goodbye then carry on doing it my way.

xx

lou lou
17-11-2011, 09:04 PM
every time she comes i have more different types of paper that i should do to be honest it just does my head in i just want to childmind and enjoy the children without worry and stress of paper work and planning and working out next steps which i struggle with.

flowerpots
17-11-2011, 10:01 PM
i agree :D i just ignore my do, take all her bits of paper smile and say goodbye then carry on doing it my way.
xx

This is what i would do. :)

The Juggler
17-11-2011, 10:18 PM
next time she visits, smile sweetly and sing 'lalalala' in your head, nod and say 'bye' then carry on as normal ;)

snuffy123lulu
17-11-2011, 10:24 PM
I asked my DO if her visiting me was compulsory - she said it wasn't so I said no thanks then. I don't mind sensible suggestions but have heard some of the ridiculous expectations they have and much prefer to do my own thing and let ofsted judge me :)

Penny1959
17-11-2011, 11:18 PM
you'll only loose your identity IF you go along with crazy and daft suggestions by people who actually have no clue about childminding and only from a nursery viewpoint.

Ok the suggestions may be well meaning but challenge them and explain the childminders view.

A DO's word is NOT gospel, law or enshrined in the EYFS... its their interpretation of something and suggestion only. If you aren't confrontational then just nod sweetly to them, thank them for their interest and input and then file it away

Well said Pipsqueak - A DO (or what ever your person is called - we have IA now - Improvement advisors) can only visit if you agree to it and can only suggest - they can not make you do anything - ok they can say you can't have this or that funding or attend such and such training for free - but there areother ways of getting support and ideas (like on here) and there is training available through other organisations.

I am thinking about setting myself up as the forums DO :D - after all been one in the past - even have the T. shirt to prove it - and at least I only suggest things and I understand there is more than one right way to do most things

Penny :)

rickysmiths
18-11-2011, 12:00 AM
I have never had a DO or IO. If I have they have never bothered to make themselves know, never mind visit.

JCrakers
18-11-2011, 08:56 AM
Ive never had a DO, thank goodness because what I read about these people they haven't got a clue. :eek: :rolleyes:

I would not do the cling film thing...no way!
Maybe if they actually do a childminding job for a week they might rethink thier stupid ideas :D

Honestly, don't worry about any extra paperwork. A daily ticked RA is not essential, and don't make your journals too in depth as its just not needed. Don't waste your energy on extra paperwork, as long as you are following eyfs and linking to it and doing next steps that's fine :D

Pipsqueak
18-11-2011, 09:40 AM
Have to say in defence of DO's though... mine have been lovely... yes they have come up with some half cocked ideas..... but to be honest they aren't pushy and have been amazingly supportive in the main

the development worker/network co-ordinators that were NCMA (who have now gone because of 'funding cuts') were an absolute godsend..... knowledgable, friendly, helpful, supportive, proper on the ground grass roots understanding and support at your fingertips

Andrea08
18-11-2011, 10:26 AM
I must say my DO b4 she left was the best.. she gave me a pat on the back before she pulled me up on anything

but

this one is driving us all mad and i almost started smoking again because of her
she has no people skills and just throws negatives at us..

almost reduced me to tears last night until a cm phoned and picked me bk up

keep with the forum lots of gr8 ideas for home settings and do what makes you feel happy not the DO as a happy cm makes for happy mindees :laughing:

xx

nipper
18-11-2011, 10:37 AM
input and then file it away

in the big round filing cabinet!!!!
also known as the dustbin...well said Pip

Nurseries are being made to look more like schools all the time and I'm sorry I didn't give up teaching to become a childminder only to have to jump through all these hoops. I bet if you told your parents what the DO told you to do, they would laugh...I mean come on, cling film on your kitchen table?????

mama2three
18-11-2011, 01:30 PM
My network advisor is there if we need her but on the whole leaves us to get on with it. I have breathed a sigh of relief at not having some of the do's I have read about on here!

( the clingfilm on the table is lots of fun by the way - we manage it without ruining the house! And even less mess if you put a second layer of clingfilm over the top of the paint so they can squidge it and mix it without the painty fingers!)

Playmate
18-11-2011, 01:59 PM
Well said Pipsqueak - A DO (or what ever your person is called - we have IA now - Improvement advisors) can only visit if you agree to it and can only suggest - they can not make you do anything - ok they can say you can't have this or that funding or attend such and such training for free - but there areother ways of getting support and ideas (like on here) and there is training available through other organisations.

I am thinking about setting myself up as the forums DO :D - after all been one in the past - even have the T. shirt to prove it - and at least I only suggest things and I understand there is more than one right way to do most things

I'll be your deputy Penny :D

I think the problem is, if you get a DO or network co-ordinator who has not had Childminding experience. I had several years of CM experience before I worked as a DO and we were not allowed to visits indiviual's homes, only advise through groups or phone. That way if someone wanted to ignore advise or not get involved they could. although In the main I seemed fairly well accepted, although I'm sure I put a few backs up along the way ;) We no longer have any support in our county which I think is sad for those who need it :(

PixiePetal
18-11-2011, 02:00 PM
My CO was the one who reported me to SS on something a CM told her and got me into major issues - why did she not come a talk to me and support me?? :angry: not that I needed it but I wasn't given the chance to explain before big trouble came and hit me between the eyes

she has now moved on - with the cutbacks :) . I dd not go for the farewell drinks and now have nothing to do with most local CM as I know it was of them stirring trouble.

And I don't cling film my table and I have a lot of plastic - and natural material toys/equipment too!

Fraggle1
18-11-2011, 05:22 PM
My DO upset me so much that I cancelled my next appointment with her and won't be having anymore to be honest! I did however email her to let her know that Ofsted gave me a 'good' and said if I carry on as I am I'm on my way to outstanding! I cried after my DO came as she didn't have a nice word to say about anything!
xx

mandy moo
18-11-2011, 07:11 PM
I have never had a DO or IO. If I have they have never bothered to make themselves know, never mind visit.

Same as Ricky, did make a coupleof calls once asking for somebody to come visit me, never materialized into any thing :(

Playmate
18-11-2011, 07:20 PM
Same as Ricky, did make a coupleof calls once asking for somebody to come visit me, never materialized into any thing :(,

You wouldn't have got a home visit in Herts as it was not in their contract to do this. However I think in the last year before the contract ended they were working with inadequate and some satisifactory CM's individually. Herts DO's had quite large areas to cover and nowhere near enough hours to cover their LA's agreement. This is why I came back to being a CM, at least I'm working hours for nothing to benefit myself and nowone else. Once again comes down to our LA being stingy :rolleyes:

EmmaReed84
18-11-2011, 07:28 PM
Until this website I had never heard of a DO. I wondered what it was until today and this post.

The reason people childminders over nursery is because of the home, loving caring environment. Not because they run like a school!

I do activities with my kids, take pictures, make notes, but most importantly in my opinion I make them feel like part of my family.

Dragonfly
18-11-2011, 10:05 PM
I had one visit me once, didnt invite her back, total waste of time:laughing:

Tatjana
18-11-2011, 10:12 PM
My one used to be an Ofsted inspector:eek: so it was good to have her out in a way as she was ott with what needed to be done, (at the begining of being registered)....the Ofsted inspectors I have seen since have been way more laid back than she was :)

Haven't seen or heard from her since a few weeks after I was registered!

Beetlejuice
18-11-2011, 10:19 PM
I've done the cling film thing but on a smaller scale. Put blobs of paint on paper, then cover the paper in cling film and let them loose - far less messy and a good activity for my mindee who was afraid of mess.

I have a Network Co-ordinator which is the same thing but I've yet to really get to know her yet as she's new. Time will tell :D :cool:

lozzy23
18-11-2011, 10:30 PM
Have to say in defence of DO's though... mine have been lovely... yes they have come up with some half cocked ideas..... but to be honest they aren't pushy and have been amazingly supportive in the main

the development worker/network co-ordinators that were NCMA (who have now gone because of 'funding cuts') were an absolute godsend..... knowledgable, friendly, helpful, supportive, proper on the ground grass roots understanding and support at your fingertips

I agree Pip my NCMA Development Worker has been great, came to my house did not say anything negative, just sensible advice and pointed out things that she liked about my setting (in fact helped my confidence). Gave me an idea for my LJ's which I have implemented.

She attends the local groups, so you get to see her if you have any worries or need support. It also helps that she was a childminder herself. To me she's a goodun:thumbsup:

Penny1959
18-11-2011, 11:21 PM

I hope this is how I was seen both while working for NCMA and when working for LA, In fact I know I was because I was often told so - but if I did ever say anything stupid I was soon put in my place (just ask Carol M!)

Penny1959
18-11-2011, 11:27 PM
[QUOTE=Playmate;1012627]I'll be your deputy Penny :D

You are on Playmate - we would make a great time - plenty of childminding experience and experience as NCMA staff, a huge amount of common sense and realistic expectations.

Do we need to ask the boss?
What shall we call ourselves? (Personally don't like DO or IA or CDO)
Should we do home visits?

Wendybird
19-11-2011, 08:30 AM
In defense of DOs - mine has been great. In fact, she is always telling me I DON'T need to do things and helping me streamline. She was the first call I made when I got notice about my impending Ofsted inspection and advised me to phone and get it postponed (I'd only been working 4 weeks and not even registered 6 months!). All our DO's used to be childminders themselves though and are very down-to-earth IMO.

Twinkles
19-11-2011, 09:29 AM
I only ever see my DO in passing.

I think every other person on this site is a DO.

We have very many experienced and knowledgeable minders on here and we can glean information and support from hundreds of people not just one.