PDA

View Full Version : I am thinkingof becoming a childminder

emmy-lou
16-05-2008, 12:51 PM
Hi all

I am hoping for a little advise and reasurance really.

I have decided to become a childminder due to financial issues more than anything, I have 3 children myself 8yrs, 3yrs and 1yr, my part-time flexible work whenever work has come to end and I can't honestly see myself doing anything other than evening/night work due to the family and my partners working hours, so childminding it is.

I have great admeration for childminders, while I was working and my eldest was at pre-school age a local childminder looked after him and she did a fantastic job, he has a learning delay and epilepsy, she went over and above her duty with him and if it wasnt for her I doubt he would have some of the skills he has now.

So I have phoned my local children's services and I am awaiting a return phone call, but I am a little confused as to what happens next??, I guess I go on a course?, then see the ofsted etc, we need to do a little bit to the house (well alot of work to do on the house still so I am guessing its going to be another at least 6 months before things really start happening for me, the house was a renovation project, the kitchen has just been installed but needs to be finished, we need doors in every room and carpet only upstairs etc, plus all the saftey bits, I am not worried about toys as we have lots anyway and you can always find bargins at car boots, ebay and freecycle)

So what can I expect?
Your help would be great as for the house and ofsted I am guessing as long as the house is safe, decor wise isnt much of an issue other than to parents?

I look forward to hearing from you

ajs
16-05-2008, 01:01 PM
no you're right about the decor and the carpets i had no carpets when i registered and all i had to do was make sure there were no obvious splinters or nails on the floor.

i assume the children's information service will point you in the right direction as far as what now.
so it may be worth giving them a ring to find out what you need to do next

good luck in your new proffession though

keep looking through the forum you'll find loads of tips on here

Pipsqueak
16-05-2008, 01:42 PM
CIS will get back to you about a pre reg childminders meeting where they will give you all the bumpf and info.

Here is the link for the National Standards (replaced in Sept by the EYFS but it will give you some good guidance for now and what we are still currently inspected on). http://www.surestart.gov.uk/_doc/P0002411.pdf

aj has given some good advice - have a good nosy round the forum there is tons of help and info.

Good luck

angeldelight
17-05-2008, 08:14 AM
Have a look around the forum also

Good luck

Angel xx