PDA

View Full Version : Eating together?

Nature'sKids!
17-11-2011, 08:56 AM
So we have a small (tiny) kitchen diner. Table seats 4 adults, 5 at a push. Could probably fit 5-6 children around it (we've got benches rather than chairs)
Anyway, I was just wondering whether it might be an idea to use the little children's Ikea table and chairs for meals too? This would mean that kids aged 3 and above could eat on the small table and would give more space for Littlies in boosters around the table? Does this make sense?
I probably won't even have that many kids but just wondering what others with little space do?

Mouse
17-11-2011, 09:13 AM
I have up to 4 little ones at a time (with a variation) and don't have school aged children, so that's the maximum I need to seat.

I have a small Ikea tables & chairs that the children sit at and lower chairs with trays for the younger children. It means they're all at the same level to eat. I have table cloths to put on the tables as they are used for crafts & play. When you're short of space the trick is to make multi-use of what you have got room for.

If you're thinking you'll have more children with the school aged ones, you need to consider whether or not it would be practical to provide an evening in meal. A cm friend of mine regularly has 14 or more children in the school holidays and they all have to eat sitting on the floor :(

Helen79
17-11-2011, 09:26 AM
You could maybe get a small folding camping table that you can fold and store away when you don't need it.

singingcactus
17-11-2011, 09:43 AM
Mine all eat at a low table. From 12 months they move into child size chairs. I like the independence this gives them. The chairs are designed for little legs so we don't have dangling legs with the added pressure on the backs of their knees caused by adult sized chairs. I like to get children out of baby chairs as soon possible, and onto appropriate seating. It means they can sit in their chairs themselves, and get down themselves without having to wait like a baby for the adult to lift them all the time.

Nature'sKids!
17-11-2011, 02:24 PM
You could maybe get a small folding camping table that you can fold and store away when you don't need it.

Oh I've already got a camping table! Never thought of that! Thanks :)