PDA

View Full Version : Pregnant Minders

EmmaReed84
16-11-2011, 07:32 PM
Not that I am pregnant, or planning on getting pregnant in the near future (unless dh changes his mind ;)) But what did you do when you were pregnant with regards to time off for appts, starting Mat leave, going back after baby, emergency hosp visits?

Basically my last two pregs I spent quite a bit of time in hosp, first time for pre eclampsia and second time for possible pre term labour. Anyways DH and I have talked about the possibility of extending our family and just wanted a bit of an insight.....the life of a preggy CM!

Tatjana
16-11-2011, 08:01 PM
I took mindees with me for app'ts, parents were fine with this, luckily I only had to take one a couple of times.

I worked upto 2 weeks before baby was due, but ended up only having the one week as he decided to pop out earlier lol!:laughing:

I took extended maternity leave, which got even more extended when I didn't get any mindees, lol! I didn't want to rush back to minding as wanted to enjoy the one to one with ds:)

shmuck9681
01-12-2011, 01:07 PM
I had extended mat leave in 2009 but just because childrens contracts were ending in the march/april (i was due july) so didnt bother trying to take anyone on but went back to work the following april after 9 glorious months off with my ds, pregnant again this time i have had to arrange appointments around cm but have had to take one lo with me and parents were fine with that.
Biggest bug bear to find out today is that you cant take mat leave with NCMA anymore last time they extended my membership and insurance for 6 months, but this time Ofsted requirements for registation are that you are insured at all times so NCMA and insurance cant be extended so basically having to pay for both for the whole time I am off :(

Tinglesnark
01-12-2011, 02:04 PM
i am currently not working but am interviewing parents tomorrow and next week.
Im only tkaing on after schoolers so appointments wont be a problem and ive said ill work up until bubs makes his/her appearance as ill have to get my own 2 to school/playschool anyway. I have said i plan to take 2 weeks off after the birth so they will need to make their own arrangements as my back up cm doesnt do the schoolrun to our school that or maybe dh could collect them along with our little boy IF that is allowed. I need to find that one out. he has a clear crb but thats it so unsure if he would be allowed.
still we shall cross that bridge when we come to it. :thumbsup:

Anon8319
02-12-2011, 11:44 AM
I am trying for a baby now. I only started childminding in September (had a full timer and schoolie sibling since then, and have another overnight schoolie from Jan) and my first daughter is 19 months old. We are actively trying for our second/final baby now, as my husband has to start a life-long treatment for psoriatic arthritis (recently diagnosed) and it is unlikely we will be able to once he starts it.

The family I have on my books, is quite flexible. I do more/less for them occasionally and they have been flexible recently due to my daughter needing some hospital tests (on 3 occasions, but no more now). If I have a midwife appt, I will arrange it for after 330 once my mindees have all gone; if I have a scan I will arrange for the child's grandmother to have her and make up the time another day (this is how my arrangement works with this family as part of the reason they have me is so that there is not so much pressure on the gran). I am also considering registering my husband and my mother in law as assistants, so if for any reason I needed an emergency scan or appt (I had 2 in my last pregnancy - one due to an electrocution and one due to reduced fetal movements at 37 weeks), I can take my mother in law with me and she can sit with my daughter and my mindee (I won't be taking any more under 5s on) while I am checked out.

Oh and once the baby is here, I'll be giving him/her what my first daughter had - at least 9 months of mat leave! I breastfed my daughter til she was 16 months, and intend to do at least the same with the next baby; I did a few short courses like baby massage, and I want to do those with the next baby; I want time to enjoy my baby like I did my daughter, so I will take the 9 months. I did have a year with my daughter but that was more down to the fact I was waiting to start a job. I wouldn't be able to afford that this time. If I get pregnant quite quickly, I will be due some time at the beginning of the new school year; I will tell the children's mum I will not be offering holiday care for schoolies from July onwards, so she will arrange a holiday club (which she hasn't done so far as the child is a bit young), and I will work up until about 3 weeks before my due date - I went 3 days before due date and gave birth on due date last time, so I want a couple of weeks leeway just in case.

Anon8319
02-12-2011, 11:52 AM
i am currently not working but am interviewing parents tomorrow and next week.
Im only tkaing on after schoolers so appointments wont be a problem and ive said ill work up until bubs makes his/her appearance as ill have to get my own 2 to school/playschool anyway. I have said i plan to take 2 weeks off after the birth so they will need to make their own arrangements as my back up cm doesnt do the schoolrun to our school that or maybe dh could collect them along with our little boy IF that is allowed. I need to find that one out. he has a clear crb but thats it so unsure if he would be allowed.
still we shall cross that bridge when we come to it. :thumbsup:

He can if you register him as an assistant. Contact OfSTED.