PDA

View Full Version : How late do you work?

kel1983
16-11-2011, 01:06 PM
I have had a mum come visit and had her little one for a couple of days while she has been to interviews and training. She has now contacted me and said the agency can only offer ever late shifts which will be from 2-8. She wondered if we would be able to have her till 8.30:eek: Monday and Tuesdays and odd Thursdays.

Now we are in need of the extra cash at the moment and there is 2 of us (comind with my mum) and the Lo will prob be asleep in her buggy by the time her mum collects and it is only 2 days or maybe 3.

How late do you all work? Would you do this if you needed the extra cash?

rickysmiths
16-11-2011, 01:10 PM
I have worked to this time in the past. i had a single mum who was a nurse.

It is hard work but if you need the cash and as you say the lo will prob go to sleep. The other alternative might be for one of you to offer to babysit at the los home from say 6.30 ish if that fitted in with you so lo can be put to bed in their own bed.

kel1983
16-11-2011, 01:12 PM
oh she did also say that come January the agency may offer her early shifts. So may only have to do this till the new year.

Pipsqueak
16-11-2011, 01:13 PM
I have reguarly had a child till 10pm. (don't do overnights)

I now have her till 7.30pm.

I would think very carefully - the child MUST fit into your household dynamics because essentially once all the other kids have gone home this child then becomes an integral part of the household. Sometimes that child has to tag along to parent evenings or appointments, join in family meal times and perhaps doze off on your sofa (you sometimes have to watch what is on the telly....) and then you have to get your own kids to and fro their clubs, homework and a bit of one on one time. You can't get in the bath or lounge in your PJ's.

The parents need to realise that when they come a-knocking at whatever times your kids might be in bed and they need to be quiet and get their child out quickly and considerately

And think carefully about an enhanced rate....:thumbsup:

kel1983
16-11-2011, 01:17 PM
I have reguarly had a child till 10pm. (don't do overnights)

I now have her till 7.30pm.

I would think very carefully - the child MUST fit into your household dynamics because essentially once all the other kids have gone home this child then becomes an integral part of the household. Sometimes that child has to tag along to parent evenings or appointments, join in family meal times and perhaps doze off on your sofa (you sometimes have to watch what is on the telly....) and then you have to get your own kids to and fro their clubs, homework and a bit of one on one time. You can't get in the bath or lounge in your PJ's.

The parents need to realise that when they come a-knocking at whatever times your kids might be in bed and they need to be quiet and get their child out quickly and considerately

I dont have children of my own so thats one less thing to worry about. I live with my parents (mum is co minder) so will have to talk it through with my dad too

kel1983
16-11-2011, 01:19 PM

Oh yeah never thought of that. Did any of you charge exttra for unsociable hrs. I work the occassional saturdays and charge £5 per hour.

Pipsqueak
16-11-2011, 01:23 PM
Oh yeah never thought of that. Did any of you charge exttra for unsociable hrs. I work the occassional saturdays and charge £5 per hour.

darned right I did!!! lol

I charged time and half after 6

Chatterbox Childcare
16-11-2011, 01:30 PM
I have worked until 10pm but I don't have any little ones of my own. Would the mindee fit in with your family life?

kel1983
16-11-2011, 01:33 PM
I have worked until 10pm but I don't have any little ones of my own. Would the mindee fit in with your family life?

Dont have any children of my own

Penny1959
16-11-2011, 01:40 PM
I work in my setting until 7pm but then take the one (whose mum is a nurse) home and put her to bed. I still charge the same even though when at her house I am baby sitting - if mum has a night shift I do overnight at her house to - and charge more for any hours between 10:30 pm and 5:30 am.

Would that be possible for you to do?

My DH feels after 7pm he wants to be able to do what he likes in his home - including watching TV that is not suitable for a little one.

Penny :)

yummymummy
16-11-2011, 01:59 PM
:)
I work in my setting until 7pm but then take the one (whose mum is a nurse) home and put her to bed. I still charge the same even though when at her house I am baby sitting - if mum has a night shift I do overnight at her house to - and charge more for any hours between 10:30 pm and 5:30 am.

Would that be possible for you to do?

My DH feels after 7pm he wants to be able to do what he likes in his home - including watching TV that is not suitable for a little one.

Penny :)

I take my hat off to you, what a lovely lady you must be to do all that and mum and mindee are very lucky to have found you.

Natternic
16-11-2011, 02:00 PM
If i needed the extra money I would do it yes, def charge time and half, and you can always end it if it didnt work for you. Suppose in a way you are in a better position as you dont have your own children to consider in this one.
Go for it

kel1983
16-11-2011, 02:24 PM
I think I may actually go for it for a couple of weeks and see how we go and then do a review in January :panic:

EmmaReed84
16-11-2011, 02:31 PM
I think I may actually go for it for a couple of weeks and see how we go and then do a review in January :panic:

I would make sure that EVERY little detail was covered documented and signed, what time parent will collect, ensure they know any fees for lateness and what constitutes lateness (5 mins late, 10 mins late, no notice etc), I would also talk about fees and certainly charge time and a half after say 6pm or 7pm. Although I know this is done during any kind of childminding I would doubly stress it as it is so late in the evening.

chez
16-11-2011, 05:16 PM
We offer care around the clock.
We charge £3.50 between 7.00-18.00
£4.00 between 18:00 - 19:00 if not staying overnight
and £35 for any child staying overnight (18:00-7:00)

if the child is with me past 19:00 then they are staying the night.

We are a new setting tho I have 3 yrs experiance of being a co-minder in mums setting. In June next year we hope to have 6 children with my OH being my co-minder.

There will be 3 spaces max for children between 18:00-19:00 and 1 space overnight.

If they are staying overnight they are not collectable until 7:00 as I also need to sleep and be able to get them and myself ready in the morning.

Im aware of a minder offing overnight care but is willing to do hand over at any time in the night - I know she was doing on at 2am. To me this is not sutiable or in the childs best intrest.

nipper
16-11-2011, 06:16 PM
I currently mind an eight year old who is in same class as my son at school. Mum works 12hr shifts as a nurse, so I have him from 6.30am (not everyday) two, sometimes three days a week and then also from after school until 8pm.
I charge double time for anything outside my normal working hours (7.30am - 6pm).