PDA

View Full Version : Conjuctivitis- exlude or not

It's a small world
16-11-2011, 12:59 PM
Hi I know there are a few threads on this but several comments.
Do u exclude or not exclude if child has conjunctivitis ? And how long. Mum will struggle as single parent and work funny abt time off but don't want to put others at risk xxx

candy cat
16-11-2011, 01:00 PM
I have a policy and as long as being treated then it's ok

Goatgirl
16-11-2011, 01:08 PM
HI :),
It is very contagious. Personally I exclude and don't let them back until all symptoms have gone (usually very quickly after treatment begins). I have an eye condition myself which flares up sporadically and although is relatively easy to treat, having an infection at the same time would seriously compromise the treatment, making it ineffective and leaving me with sight loss :panic: ...so I have to give that priority!
If you really don't want to exclude, I would judge it on the age of the child i.e. how likely that they can avoid touching their eyes and then toys/ other people etc and what other children you have and if you think you have the energy to run around wiping everything they touch with antibac wipes!

Bets wishes,
Wendy :)

Chatterbox Childcare
16-11-2011, 01:55 PM
As long as it is being treated then okay but if no drops or cream then sorry not with me

tashaleee
16-11-2011, 02:35 PM
I have a policy in place and all parents are aware that I always have the option to exclude if a child is pre-school age. If they are school age (or in extreme cases if they understand about touching eyes etc) then I will allow them to come. In under 3s never - as it is highly contagious and easily passed (and I also have problems with my eyes and catching this gives me serious problems)

tashaleee
16-11-2011, 02:36 PM
Forgot to say... how old is the child?

Pipsqueak
16-11-2011, 02:58 PM
Providing treatment has been started for 24hrs min they can come back to me.

It's a small world
16-11-2011, 02:59 PM
Child is 14 mths . Gave it a clean with cotton wool and cooled boiled water ( that's what i did when own child had it ( but several years ago) not had chance to check on Internet if different now. And wasged hands with antibacterial soap etc . Anyway seems ok at the moment but not sure if it's the start of it. Will mention to mum when I drop off and say may exclude as although I only have my own child at same time. Have afterschool too and lo rubs eyes when tired etc so don't want risk of passing on. May have new lo starting next week too so may have to exclude if something develops . Thanks for the replies xx

snufflepuff
16-11-2011, 03:59 PM
I ask that the child has been using treatment for at least 24 hours before they come back to me. It usually clears up pretty quickly after that.

Mouse
16-11-2011, 04:19 PM
I don't exclude for it, nor do I insist on treatment. I've never had a problem with it being passed on from one child to another.

I know I'm in the minority though.

onceinabluemoon
16-11-2011, 04:28 PM
I exclude

I used to get it every time my own children did and I'm allergic to the antibiotics used to treat it. Parents are made aware of this before they sign contracts.

christine e
16-11-2011, 04:33 PM
I don't exclude for it, nor do I insist on treatment. I've never had a problem with it being passed on from one child to another.

That is just what I was thinking Mouse in all the years I have been childminding and even when my own two were little it was never passed on from one to child to another

Cx

rickysmiths
16-11-2011, 06:57 PM

I'm the same Mouse. i have never excluded and never had a problem. Doctors actually won't prescribe for it most of the time now because it usually clears up in 2-3 days on its own anyway.

If you look at the HPA list is says not to exclude.

Carol M
16-11-2011, 07:24 PM
I exclude till eyes have been treated and returned to normal and no more discharge.
The HPA has "recommended" exclusions but conjunctivitis is highly infectious and as young children are not able to manage their own personal hygiene as well as older children and adults the infection can be difficult to control. A lo coughing, sneezing and rubbing eyes can pass infection on quickly and an outbreak could occur.
Carol xx

Beetlejuice
16-11-2011, 07:26 PM
I ask that the child has been using treatment for at least 24 hours before they come back to me. It usually clears up pretty quickly after that.

Ditto here.

miffy
16-11-2011, 08:30 PM
I exclude till eyes have been treated and returned to normal and no more discharge.

Carol xx

I do the same.

Miffy xx

Ali56
16-11-2011, 11:39 PM
I do exclude under 5's too. Parents are made aware from the start. My daughter has a compromised immune system and although she is older and capable of staying away from the LO's, I don't think its fair on her. It would be nasty for her to get, and take much longer to clear up. Lo's do tend to rub eyes and spread the germs around! I don't exclude older children though, if they can leave it alone :)