PDA

View Full Version : Starting to get a bit worried now

kel1983
16-11-2011, 09:53 AM
Got a family we mind 11 month old tues-fri 8.5 hours a day and her older sister who is only here frid 3 hours. They still owe from October but they have money problems so struggling to find the money. We asked them last thursday if their was any chance of getting paid something and dad said they are doing some creative finances. Friday he rang to say he was working from home so would look after both. We have not yet seen them this week. No phone call. It is not unusual for them though to have a few days off and not let us know as they have done this a lot over the last couple of weeks which I think is very rude.:angry:

In their contract it has we will only charge half fees for days off. So wondering if this is is part of their creative finances. Probably thinking they could work from home and only have to pay us half fees. :angry: But then starting to worry we will never see them again. I hope this is not the case. The parents dont seem to come across as being runners :panic:

Gonna send them a message later asking if we are likely to see them this week. They owe over £600.

Anyone got any good advice. I cant really advertise the space until we know for definate they will not be back. Money is really tight at the moment too.

Becci26
16-11-2011, 10:17 AM
I don't have much advice as not actually minding yet but what is in your fees policy re late payment? You need to implement that and give them a deadline as to when you expect payment. I realise it is probably hard to be firm as I would imagine you have built up a good relationship with them but it is your business and you that it is affecting, so I feel your business hat needs to go on for this one.
sorry not much help x

Mouse
16-11-2011, 10:28 AM
To be honest, I wouldn't start adding late fees yet. If they're struggling to pay now, they're not going to manage to pay late fees as well & if their debt continues building up because of late fees, they're more likely to disappear without paying anything.

Don't send any text messages, they're easy to ignore. Phone them up and speak to them direct. Don't ask if you're likely to see them, or if you're likely to get paid, tell them how much they owe and give them a deadline date for paying. If they can't do that, tell them they need to come & see you to arrange a payment plan.

It's tricky if you have it in your contract that you will only charge half fees for their time off as there's not much you can do about it unless you have specified a maximum amount of time off or a minimum notice period.

If all else fails, contact your insurance company. The debt is constantly building up, so you might be better giving notice now & taking someone else on.

kel1983
16-11-2011, 10:35 AM
I dont want to charge a late payment just yet as I do know how hard it is if you are having money diffuiculties.

I think it would have been polite of them to phone me and chat about it instead of just ignoring the problem.

Mouse
16-11-2011, 10:53 AM
I think it would have been polite of them to phone me and chat about it instead of just ignoring the problem.

That's definitely what they should of done. Unfortunately lots of people with money worries prefer to hide their heads in the sand rather than face up to them & deal with it.
That's why you need to be the ones to take the lead. Explain to them how it'll work (they either pay in full or agree a payment plan that they will stick to). I think you also need to come to an agreement about how much time they can take off.

kel1983
17-11-2011, 01:37 PM
Hi just thought I would update you all

Well it was a no show again today so decided to send them a short text saying "Hope you are all well just we have not heard from you this week"

The mum eventually sent text back saying "Sorry there has been a communication error with xxx (The dad) The girls will not be with you for the rest of this week or next week. Will contact you and let you know" :angry:

I am so annoyed right now. We have written them a nice letter with Octobers invoice and hopefully they will come up with atleast some of the money they owe and I suppose we will just have to wait and see if they come back the week after next.

Goatgirl
17-11-2011, 02:09 PM
Hi just thought I would update you all

Well it was a no show again today so decided to send them a short text saying "Hope you are all well just we have not heard from you this week"

The mum eventually sent text back saying "Sorry there has been a communication error with xxx (The dad) The girls will not be with you for the rest of this week or next week. Will contact you and let you know" :angry:

I am so annoyed right now. We have written them a nice letter with Octobers invoice and hopefully they will come up with atleast some of the money they owe and I suppose we will just have to wait and see if they come back the week after next.

I would be telling them that they seem to have misunderstood the understanding behind half fees for holidays: half fees only applies to normal holiday periods, not as a money saving exercise for parents: you have bills to pay too and couldn't afford to take on contracts where you may potentially only make 50% of the income from them. Then I would put a cap on the number of weeks.
This would then effectively put them in a position where they will run out of half pay weeks and at that point, have to choose whether they can continue with their contract or if they need to give notice.

In the meantime I would consider that I probably have spaces coming up and see other enquirers on that basis.

You have gone out of your way to help.

Good luck,
Wendy :)

Pipsqueak
17-11-2011, 02:17 PM
I think you need to stop dillydallying around here.

unfortunately you have shot yourself in the foot with the half fees thing (I would urgently review this and rectify for future parents)

I would be now sending parents a letter outlining outstanding fees and give a deadline to pay.

If they are struggling to pay you need to offer them a chance to organise a payment plan with you....

you need to give a deadline though for them to pay up or sort this out with you. if nothing is forthcoming I would then be saying that you are terminating the contract and pursuing outstanding monies through legal means bla blah.

i would say that the half fees/holidays are being reviewed and that they appear to be using it as a money saving exercise - you appreciate their difficulties however you did not intend this generous financial offer to be taken advantage of in such a manner.

STOP texting - its not professional and its too easily ignored
Put it ALL in written form

kel1983
17-11-2011, 03:52 PM
Pipsqueak we have sent the letter this afternoon with invoice and deadline to pay.

Unfortunately there is no other enquiries at the moment otherwise I would have terminated their contract and taken on someone new.

Definately going to review contracts and change the amount of days off at half fees. We have definately learnt by our mistakes.

And we wont be texting them again. If we get no reply to the letter or they are a no show when they stated then I will then take it further

rickysmiths
17-11-2011, 05:11 PM
I agree with what Pip has advised.

Definately no texts it is not a good way to communicate.

I never allow parents any time off at half fee. If they are off when I am open then they pay full fee. There is then no opportunity for creative accounting. Do the parents pay anything via Vouchers? Do they get Tax Credits?

Are they having problems because one of them has been made redundant do you think? I know they must still pay you but it could explain why one of the is 'working' from home so much.