PDA

View Full Version : not made any profit

nelly
16-11-2011, 09:29 AM
just wondering if its normal not to make a profit.i only work part time and really don't want loads of children on my books because of looking after my disabled son,but so far iv made a loss every year (3 years) is this normal.:huh:

JCrakers
16-11-2011, 10:28 AM
I would say its fine to make a loss in your first year due to start up costs.
But by three years you really should be getting some money from your job otherwise its pointless working. I really love my job but wouldnt do it if it wasnt bringing any money in. If I was making a loss then I would seriously start looking at why.

Are you spending too much on food or toys etc?
Hope other people have some help and ideas for you.

kel1983
16-11-2011, 10:33 AM
Yeah I agree with the above. Surely by year 3 you should be making a profit. I though I was oing to make a loss in the first year but to my suprise made a profit.

Perhaps go back and see where you are spending the money. Cut back on things you dont need.

I wouldnt be doing this if I was not making a profit.

VeggieSausage
16-11-2011, 12:56 PM
Make sure you are charging the going rate for the area too just in case you are undercharging - are you claiming free milk too?

Chatterbox Childcare
16-11-2011, 02:12 PM
I would expect a loss in the first year but not after that

As others have said look at your expenses. the other reason may be because you are having a low proportion of children but claiming for your rates and elec etc... and maybe these are high

leeloo1
16-11-2011, 03:26 PM
Are you making a loss, or a 'loss' - IYSWIM? If you don't earn much, but are able to discount lots of expenses (which you'd pay anyway), so on paper you're making a loss, but you're actually still doing ok then its still worth working. If you're genuinely out of pocket then you either need to put your prices up, take on more/different children or change job.