PDA

View Full Version : Parent has been

cher25
16-05-2008, 11:15 AM
Yesterday i posted a message that i'd had a call and the parent was coming round today at half 10. Well she came and left by 11. I didn't get the job.

Things seemed to be going alright until she asked me if i had emergency backup available. To begin with when i said no, she let me carry on and i explained that i hadn't yet been to the drop ins, as i am a shy person and feel a bit silly going along when i have no children. (But that is total lack of confidence in myself.) I explained that i have had calls, but the minute people find out that i have no young children, i don't hear back from them and she understood that i just need someone to give me a chance, even though she would prefer her child did have someone to play with.
However that wasn't the problem, the emergency backup was!!! She was honest with me and gave me some feedback and as she works a fair bit away from here and wouldnt be able to run home if needed, she felt she had to know things were in place.
She wished me luck for the future, but by reminding me that, that kind of thing is extremely important, she has given me the extra kick i so badly needed!!! So i now need to keep reminding myself that the drop in, is on wednesday, to stop being so shy and get myself along to it!

berkschick
16-05-2008, 11:43 AM
Im sorry it didnt work out for you.

I am the same about the drop in!

Ours is on a Tuesday and although I am a fairly outgoing person once I feel comfortable I hate going to anything new like this!

I will go to mine if you go to yours, deal??!!

cherryt
16-05-2008, 11:50 AM
Can I just say the your emergency back up does not have to be a childminder.

I have 2, my next door neighbor and my husband, in the event of an emergency dash to the hospital it is perfectly acceptable for my neighbor to care for the children until the parents come to collect.

This happened 3 yrs ago when my husband fell and broke his leg at home, I took charge, rang all 3 parents and told them to collect their children immediately and if the ambulance arrived before they did the my neighbor(who they all know) would be waiting for them with the children.

And the parent should realize no matter how far away they work if they get that phone call saying they need to come and collect the child from the emergency back up person they need to leave ASAP not after lunch or at the end of the day. After all the child is their responsibility first and yours second.

CT

scottie
16-05-2008, 12:03 PM
:( sorry to hear you didn't get the job

as for being shy about drop in group yes i do understand but what about a childminding group now if you had one of them near you you don't need kids to go and you might just enjoy it

take care you will soon be run off your feet with kids :laughing: :clapping:

angeldelight
16-05-2008, 12:05 PM
Sorry you did not get the job

I am sure you will get some more calls soon

Dont be shy either you can come and chat to us instead and make some nice friends and gain some confidence

We were all shy at the start so dont worry

Angel xx

NikNak
16-05-2008, 12:09 PM
oh dear poor you. It sounds like she has knocked your confidence. I know how hard it is being very shy myself. Its easier said than done but you need to come accross as being ultra confident in your role as a childminder when you meet the parent. You need to be in charge and tell her all the policies and procedures you have in place. Like someone else said ask a friend or family member etc just so you can name someone for next time. (hopefully you will never need to use them)! If a parent asks you something your not sure about or have forgotten to set up then tell them what they want to hear and say yes that will be in place im in the process of doing it etc!! Dont let them intimidate you. You are the boss and its your business!

Im still trying to pluck up the courage to go to my local drop in but just cant face it! Where are you from?

I thought like you at first that i would never get any work but believe me it just suddenley happened and im now working full time and more!

Good luck next time.x

Teresa
16-05-2008, 12:24 PM
i havent got a childminder for backup i have my partner and my 18 year old daughter, and my parents seem happy with this.

katickles
16-05-2008, 12:41 PM
Sorry you didn't get this mindee - but take her feedback & turn it into a positive.

Like you said, next time you'll be prepaired as you will have arranged your backup & by going to your childminders drop in's you never know - you may end up with some mindees from there, thats where one of mine came from so they are so worth going to.

I have to say - like you & alot of others, I felt daunted by going but really enjoy going each week & the kids love it.

:)

caza
16-05-2008, 12:52 PM
Really sorry you didn't get the job. Fingers crossed another will be along very soon :)

Caroline

Spangles
16-05-2008, 01:01 PM
I'm sorry you didn't get this work, what a shame.

I think as you have further meetings with parents you will get more and more confident. They really make me nervous but all the ones I've had have been fine. It really is important to try and be confident at these meetings because you have to make the parent see that you are more than capable of looking after their child.

My husband is my emergency back up at the moment but I've got to come up with someone else sharpish for when he's away and I've got absolutely no idea who that would be at the moment!

Could you phone the leader of the drop in and chat with them a bit before you go? That way you would know someone a little bit and if you explain you're not comfortable with that kind of thing I'm sure they'd take you under their wing and introduce you as I think a majority of people feel like that.

cher25
16-05-2008, 08:24 PM
Im sorry it didnt work out for you.

I am the same about the drop in!

Ours is on a Tuesday and although I am a fairly outgoing person once I feel comfortable I hate going to anything new like this!

I will go to mine if you go to yours, deal??!!

Definitely deal! PMSl. Im saying ill go on wednesday, chances are ill forget or plan something else and it will after half term before i get around to it.

cher25
16-05-2008, 08:26 PM
Im still trying to pluck up the courage to go to my local drop in but just cant face it! Where are you from?

I thought like you at first that i would never get any work but believe me it just suddenley happened and im now working full time and more!

Good luck next time.x

Thank you so much for your message. Im from North Shields in North Tyneside.
xx

miffy
16-05-2008, 08:27 PM
Sorry it didn't work out for you this time

Hope you and Debbie pluck up courage to go to your drop in centres :)

Good luck

miffy xx

cher25
16-05-2008, 08:27 PM
Thank you all for your messages and advice. Im so grateful! Look forward to getting to know you all here.

Cher. xxx

Michelle M
17-05-2008, 04:30 PM
Sorry you didnt get the job

I didnt go to my drop in session as I only had my own daughter, then out of the blue one of the other childmidners phoned me and said to come along it doesnt matter if I dont have any children.

I went, and enjoyed it, I have met a great lot of friends, and we phone each other and meet up quite a bit, passed on our phone numbers, told thegirls what children I wanted, mainly children in the day rather than after schoolers, and they pass on my details to any parents. We have a great group and recommend new parents visit a few of us before deciding. I definitly recommend it. Good luck.

:)