PDA

View Full Version : Time to eat when minding

EmmaReed84
15-11-2011, 08:06 PM
I am currently trying to explain to my DH, the reason why I am sat here eating big plate of cheesey chips is because I am so busy in my day I dont get time to eat until about 4.30ish when I serve up dinner. Even then I dont get a lot so by the time the evening is here I am starving. That is why last night I HAD to have an extra piece of my sons insanely large birthday cake...It is not because I WANT it, I NEED it or I will starve lol

Please tell me I am not alone lol. During the day I make breakfast and clear away whilst they are eating (nice and quiet) I do the same for lunch and for dinner I serve their up get them settled then sit to mine by which time I have a few mouthfuls and I am getting up again for one reason or another then before I know it all the kids are finished wanting to leave the table and my dinner is over

Tatjana
15-11-2011, 08:11 PM
I have days like that when i'm minding very young ones, like today I had 3 under the age of 2, so much to do constantly not much time left for me! Had one slice of toast whilst doing everyones breakfast, stuffed in a tuna bagel whilst they napped, for lunch, whilst dinner just didn't happen.

But usually I do manage to eat lunch, either with them or when they're napping and nearly always have dinner with them too.

mushpea
15-11-2011, 08:16 PM
we all sit down and eat together and wait for each other,, so we will all finish our sandwich then we all have fruit and so on,, can you do this? could you sit with them and all eat together so you all get to eat

EmmaReed84
15-11-2011, 08:23 PM
we all sit down and eat together and wait for each other,, so we will all finish our sandwich then we all have fruit and so on,, can you do this? could you sit with them and all eat together so you all get to eat

I could in the afternoon, but I am usually rushing about preparing for the afternoon. In the evening I cant as I can only seat 4 at my table which are all taken up. I do sit on the sofa which is next to the table and talk to them, but one wants a drink, the other needs the loo, one has dropped a fork, one sneezes and food goes everywhere (today!!) so I dont get the chance to actually sit and eat properly. Plus they eat about 4.30ish and then 2 of my mindees go at 5pm so by the time they have finished I am needing to get them ready, by the time parent has left I dont feel hungry any more :(

I have tried having dinner at lunch time then a supper type meal at tea time but that does not work for my son who is at school and has packed lunch

Rosy Days
15-11-2011, 09:00 PM
Hi, I know exactly where you are coming from, I care for two young babies, both in high chairs so lunch time is basically feeding them and the usual running around like you have described. I just don't seem to get time to eat anything, just pick all day. My hubby always wonders why all the wine gums disappear so quickly out of the kitchen cupboard (I can't stop eating them whilst making tea cos I'm bloomin starving!) :laughing: x

Nature'sKids!
15-11-2011, 09:13 PM
Make yourself a "monkey platter"!!
http://sandradodd.com/eating/monkeyplatter
So you've got some healthy things to nibble on throughout the day.

candlequeen
15-11-2011, 09:19 PM
My eating takes priority - I get low blood sugar very easily and unless I eat every few hours I would be a danger to the kids! I eat bananas or cereal bars at snacktimes and I make sure I sit down and eat at mealtimes, although granted some days this is harder than others. The babies are in their highchairs, and they can have finger foods or toys to keep them occupied while I'm eating or washing up. I let them self-feed as much as possible anyhow -it's important for their development!
Could you try making yourself some sandwiches the night before and having them ready on a plate for lunchtime? At least then you can eat them standing up if necessary.

PixiePetal
15-11-2011, 10:06 PM
I make the most of my slow cooker for family meals - and make enough for mindees the next day to warm up (or the other way round!)

Love the idea of monkey platters :) My kids have been having 'monkey breakfast' for years (various chopped fruits/dried fruits) they are now 17 and 15 :) mindee at the time told her mum she had monkeys breakfast and I had to explain! :laughing:

samb
15-11-2011, 10:09 PM
We also eat althogether - have you got a stool or computer chair or anything you can pull up to the table so you are not constantly up and down? Or invest in a folding stool/chair if space is an issue?

littlegremlins
16-11-2011, 12:11 AM
I understand totally this scenario on a couple of my days (though this should just be one day now :)) I have done the children's food, got one fussy eater so that takes extra time, the clearing up. One day I managed to just about get a pitta bread in the toaster for me with some hummus but it was with some speed I was eating...sometimes it is a playgroup that provides a much needed cup of tea but I'm hoping this all starts to change now

Nature'sKids!
16-11-2011, 10:03 AM
Another great thing to have on hand - for both mindees and you, is smoothies. I make my own, you could add all sorts, yoghurt, bananas, nuts and seeds to make them more filling. These are great for a quick pick me up and energy boost!

Tinglesnark
16-11-2011, 11:03 AM
i make our lunches the night before as we have a cold lunch, i always do mine too because i HAVE to eat and we all eat together. I also get the drinks and everyone to the toilet BEFORE we sit down to eat. any mess made gets cleared up at the end of the meal unless its a disaster (juice everywhere etc)
i always have a snack at snack time too because i make myself one and again, we all sit together to eat those.
My eating is a huge priority to me because im pregnant but even in normal circs, i get VERY grumpy, short tempered and tired if i dont eat.
its not easy to get get organised but once you are it is easier and you will benefit fro the extra food and minutes spared stressing :D

stardust
16-11-2011, 11:37 AM
I could in the afternoon, but I am usually rushing about preparing for the afternoon. In the evening I cant as I can only seat 4 at my table which are all taken up. I do sit on the sofa which is next to the table and talk to them, but one wants a drink, the other needs the loo, one has dropped a fork, one sneezes and food goes everywhere (today!!) so I dont get the chance to actually sit and eat properly. Plus they eat about 4.30ish and then 2 of my mindees go at 5pm so by the time they have finished I am needing to get them ready, by the time parent has left I dont feel hungry any more :(

I have tried having dinner at lunch time then a supper type meal at tea time but that does not work for my son who is at school and has packed lunch

I set out a quite activity whilst i prepare lunch (i cook the night before so its just heating), whilst its heating we tidy away, have a story and songs, check nappies, wash hands. Everyone sits at the table and i have a box of tissues on the table, they have drinks and everything is ready, I then serve it up and everyone eats including myself and when everyone is finished i leave the kitchen (close the stair gate) do nappies, put sleepers down, and the children who don't sleep have quiet time, they all chose a cushion and 2 book's and sit quietly with music on whilst i tidy the kitchen. Then when the kitchen is tidy they can do as they please and i will set an activity up. Because i implement this everyday they do it without fuss. Plus children need quiet times in the day to rest. I also find that after the 'quiet time' they are easier to manage and less manic. x

if your dining room and living room are joined maybe get a room divider. my kitchen and dining area is joined and i have a divider and it helps so much.

ziggy
16-11-2011, 03:15 PM
I just nibble on toast, crackers n oat cakes all day with far too much butter. Yesterday i managed a bowl of home made soup but dont enjoy eating while working coz cant sit n enjoy it. When little ones are sleeping i do other things.
From 1pm onwards i have children arriving n leaving n just no chance to eat.

I live alone and dont bother cooking properly in the evening, just eat more rubbish. Last mindees go at 6pm so too tired to be bothered

Just love the monkey platter idea, gonna try that tomorra

sarah707
16-11-2011, 06:49 PM
I always sit down and eat with the children - it's an important social occasion through the day.

I have breakfast with them... for snack we have some fruit together and a drink... at lunch time I have my meal etc.

There is no way my tummy would let me go through the day without eating :laughing:

Vickster
16-11-2011, 09:40 PM
I sit down with them, but maybe for not as long as they take! I need my food otherwise I would not be happy!

The Juggler
16-11-2011, 10:55 PM
i can honestly say in 7 years of minding it's been a rare occasion that I've missed lunch.

Either I sit down and eat with mindees (if they are all toddlers). If I have babies, I usually sit with all mindees and feed the baby then either eat whilst everyone has their pm nap or if I have non sleepers, i'll play a quick game after naptime has started then let them get on with quiet play in the house or read some books whilst I grab a quick sandwich and a cuppa.

It would be a nightmare day before I miss lunch - I like my food too much :laughing:

lyla's mum
17-11-2011, 11:17 AM
i make a point of when i get back from the morning school run encouraging some free play so i can have my breakfast, before school is just far too busy! lunch is usually eaten whilst washing the pots, and i have my tea with the children, usually stood up whilst running round getting ready for home time. once they have all gone home and my daughter is in bed a hot cup of coffee has never tasted so good! :)

cupcake22
17-11-2011, 11:34 AM
I always sit down and eat with the children - it's an important social occasion through the day.

I have breakfast with them... for snack we have some fruit together and a drink... at lunch time I have my meal etc.

There is no way my tummy would let me go through the day without eating :laughing:

I agree. I cant work properly if I am not fed & watered. Just off to do my lunch while they are playing happily :)

lauren1979
17-11-2011, 01:05 PM
We always eat together for meals and snacks...I think it is a nice time to sit and chat, for them to learn how to sit up a table, use a knife and fork etc.

We have a dishwasher, everything in there and a wipe round is easy enough afterwards. Plus i am awful if I miss a meal/snack blood sugars plummet and I get grumpy!