PDA

View Full Version : help with new family!

cadm
15-11-2011, 01:33 PM
been registered since July and minding a little boy full time since sept. Unfortunately family moving away at xmas so had to re-advertise. Had interest from a friend of a friend. All I want to know is what to do really on initial visit? with mindee I have now I knew his mum so even though all paper work spot on the meeting was really informal as we had worked together. This time Im just not sure what depth to go into on initial visit. Also they want to know if I accept childcare vouchers...but I dont know much about that either!? thanks for any help!!x

Pipsqueak
15-11-2011, 01:42 PM
on the intial visit I give them the spiel about me brochure style, how I work, general fees etc
I gather info as to what they require from me

I give a mini tour maybe.

try to allow the chat to flow

thats it on the first ever visit

if they want a second visit and I am happy for that - great - thats when I launch into basic policies etc
I try to fit in a visit to the childs home too - you can guage a LOT by visiting!:D

VeggieSausage
15-11-2011, 01:46 PM
With regards to childcare vouchers - I always say yes and all the companies have been fine to me. All it requires is for you to go online and set up an account. They will give you a number to give to parents - then they wil pay direct into your bank account - you get an email each time a payment is made - easy.

I go through my information folder explaining my training, crb checks, healthy food policy etc etc - get out toys for child to play with x good luck!

cadm
15-11-2011, 01:49 PM
thanks soooo much so helpful x

Goatgirl
15-11-2011, 01:57 PM
Hi,

Childcare vouchers are great. 3 of my parents pay with them :).

You need to find out who the voucher company are and register with them. Allow time for this as you may need to send them a copy of your registration certificate. Once registered, the money is simply transferred from their wages to the voucher account and they authorise a payment to you as needed.

Depending how I receive the enquiry (telephone or email) I may email my policies or give them copies to read through/take home on a first visit. Although I try to email as I never see them again if they leave the premises!

Then I just chat to them about their child his/her needs/ routines/ anything unusual, like medical conditions and care needed or allergies etc etc and then ask if they have questions.

Then just general things like explaining how i go about naps ( i try to get them all down straight after lunch as we do our 'busy' things in the mornings, but very sleepy children can nap upstairs if we are home or in the buggy if we are out); about food etc : they provide lunch, i provide drinks and healthy snacks, only include healthy items etc (they'll have seen/ be able to look at my food and drink policy).

I emphasis payment systems - always in advance - late charges - I charge for hols etc according to my availability, so full if i'm available and they don't bring lo, nothing if I'm on holiday, sick, unexpected time off etc........ 48 hour rule for sickness or diarrhea... the fact that hours are NOT transferable unless we come to a mutual agreement before the event. It will be up to me whether I accept their requests for any change or deviations from the contract.

basically, the things that I have found parents conveniently 'forget' further down the line. Because I know i have made a point of going over these things I feel better about getting tough with them if there's a 'query' later on :thumbsup:

I try to interact with the child mainly, and have toys out which should suit the age group in general, whilst they read and ask questions/ answer my questions about the lo.

Then I send them off with an 'all about me' form, an extensive list of possible snack foods i provide so that they can tick which ones their little one does or really DOES NOT like ;) for future reference.

Good luck: just be yourself, but a bit more business-like :thumbsup:

best wishes,
Wendy :)

rickysmiths
15-11-2011, 02:01 PM
I have a Parent Info Folder which I use as my guide during the first visit. I show them around and explain where the children play and show them the garden.

In the folder I have:

one page with a bit about me and my family
some photos of my setting
a copy of my leaflet that they can take out and keep
a page about Home from home care and a leaflet from NCMA
a copy of my latest Ofsted Report
a copy of my current Ofsted Registration Certificate
a copy of my current public liability insurance cert
a page with sample menu ideas
a blank page of my attendance register (NCMA one)
a blank copy of my contract (NCMA one) with my charges written on it.
a blank parental Responsibility form
a blank next of kin form
a blank Child Info Form
a copy of my Consents and Permissions form i list all mine so parents only sign once.
a copy of all my Policies and Emergency Procedure done as a 7 page booklet
a copy of my Complaints procedure
Socket Cover Policy and Procedure which explains why I have never used socket covers
a poem 'When your child comes home messy'
A booklet 'It's child play EYFS' from Dept of Schools and Families which outlines what EYFS is all about
Guidance on infection control in schools and other childcare settings from the Health Protection Agency because I use this as my guide on excluding a sick child.
A copy of my First Aid Certificate
A copy of my Employee's Insurance which I have because my dh is Registered as my assistant.

All the above covers all the business aspects of my childminding and I briefly go through it with the parent(s) and then let them take it home for a coup;e of days because there is so much info and so many things for them to fill in I think it is hard for them to take it all in in one visit. I have only had to go and get it from one parent. Most return it to me.

I also have out
my Parent Feedback Folder with all the letters and cards from past and present parents.
My Training Folder with all my Certs in and
My Risk Assessment Folder

and I have two multi frames on the wall with photos of past and present mindees and ones of all ages taking part in a wide range of different activities and outings.

Childcare Vouchers are really good. It means you get paid up to £243 per parent straight into your bank account and then my parents pay any balance directly into my account. There are lots of different Voucher companies and the chances are that if both mum and dad get them they will be different companies if they have different employers. The parents should give you a form to fill in which you return to the company yourself because it will ask for Bank details and you send a copy of your Registration Cert with it. It doesn't take long to activate and the voucher company will usually email when a payment is going to be made.

EmmaReed84
15-11-2011, 02:05 PM
I have two different parent who I mind for and I didnt know them from adam. I advised them to visit me when I was not working and to begin with without children. Get them to write down questions they want to ask, I also have a new start pack with the question I need.

I have a chat with them and talk about what is required on both sides, show them my house, garden, toys etc. I let them go with all my details and advise if they are happy so far then they can arrange a further meeting with children. I also offer to email info so they can discuss with partners.

If they come back with the child I will already have an idea of what that child likes from the about me and will arrange an activity around their likes.

I then arrange any further visits they want.

With my first parent who is a city professional she was much info, info, info. My second parent was so pleased she asked to sign the contracts right away