PDA

View Full Version : Poorly CM children

EmmaReed84
15-11-2011, 09:59 AM
Hello

I currently mind 2 siblings L and F aged 1 and 2 their mother has quite an important job with a lot of responsibilty. I also have a 3 yr old son. A while back my son had very bad diarhea, he was ok in himself and was playing fine. I called Mum to let her know about my son and the risk to her children. She told me that she really cant afford to take time off work and she would have to risk it.

Anyway 4 days later (thursday) F was very loose (like water) I called Mum and she said the her hubby was away, her mum was busy and her emergency carer was on holiday. Also that she had a very important presentation to give that could not be cancelled. i reluctantly agreed to keep him. Later that day on the way back from a school run F was very sick in the street. I called Mum and she came back and had the following day off. She called me on Sunday and told me that L had been ill so I told her I would not have them on Monday as it was not 48 hours since they were ill.

The problem I have is that when F was loose and I called her the first time she said that it was ONLY diarhea and not sickness and that she cannot be off too much as they could use this if they announce redundancies and she could end up out of work. Yesterday F hardly ate and today he was loose again. I dont want to keep calling her back for no reason but I dont want to look after a sick child.

I do have a sickness policy but how do you know when to call a parent home? When is loose classed as diarhea? If your child was ill would you catagorically not have minded children or would you give the choice?

:((((((

AliceK
15-11-2011, 10:12 AM
Hi
Where D&S are concerned I am very strict. I'm afraid that if my own children had D or S I would close my setting. Where minded children are concerned I'm afraid that if they had diareahoa (sp) like water then I would be sending them home and excluding for 48hrs end of. I think you need to make it clear to this parent what your policy is on this and then not accept any excuses from her. Unfortunately by working when your own DS was poorly that has put you in an awkward position.
Good luck

xxxxx

RainbowMum
15-11-2011, 10:21 AM
On a side note - small children can become lactose intolerant for a while after a tummy bug - DD used to have an upset tum after any dairy products up to a week after a bug so I always advise parents to avoid dairy if their lo is struggling to get over a bug.

Pipsqueak
15-11-2011, 10:23 AM
Hello

I currently mind 2 siblings L and F aged 1 and 2 their mother has quite an important job with a lot of responsibilty. I also have a 3 yr old son. A while back my son had very bad diarhea, he was ok in himself and was playing fine. I called Mum to let her know about my son and the risk to her children. She told me that she really cant afford to take time off work and she would have to risk it.

Anyway 4 days later (thursday) F was very loose (like water) I called Mum and she said the her hubby was away, her mum was busy and her emergency carer was on holiday. Also that she had a very important presentation to give that could not be cancelled. i reluctantly agreed to keep him. Later that day on the way back from a school run F was very sick in the street. I called Mum and she came back and had the following day off. She called me on Sunday and told me that L had been ill so I told her I would not have them on Monday as it was not 48 hours since they were ill.

The problem I have is that when F was loose and I called her the first time she said that it was ONLY diarhea and not sickness and that she cannot be off too much as they could use this if they announce redundancies and she could end up out of work. Yesterday F hardly ate and today he was loose again. I dont want to keep calling her back for no reason but I dont want to look after a sick child.

I do have a sickness policy but how do you know when to call a parent home? When is loose classed as diarhea? If your child was ill would you catagorically not have minded children or would you give the choice?

:((((((

Can i just say you made a mistake here.... you had minded children whilst your own child had something that you should/would have excluded a minded child for.

Loose to me is classed as the trots upon the second episode.
D&V is just D&V as your clients says - however this is your business, your rules... if the parent wants a nanny then that is what she is going to have to pay for. Its NOT your problem she has an 'important' high powered job - you have an important job - you are a mum and childcare provider.

EmmaReed84
15-11-2011, 10:34 AM
Thank you pip squeak, but what is D&V? I guessed what D&S was but I am not really up on all these acronyms.

Also as I am new to childminding and my parent stresses about her job I felt terrible letting her down because my child was ill, even though to look at he was perfectly fine. A lesson learned :)

Pipsqueak
15-11-2011, 10:44 AM
D&V - diarrhea and vomiting both ends output:D

You live and learn - we have ALL been there hunny! Honestly, you learn to say no and not feel bad about it. Remember you are a childminder not a nurse, nanny or paid skivvy help.....

EmmaReed84
15-11-2011, 10:49 AM
D&V - diarrhea and vomiting both ends output:D

You live and learn - we have ALL been there hunny! Honestly, you learn to say no and not feel bad about it. Remember you are a childminder not a nurse, nanny or paid skivvy help.....

If it was JUST diarhea would you call a parent home? Or see how it progressed?

Pipsqueak
15-11-2011, 10:54 AM

One episode would put me on alert and I'd probably text the parent to forewarn them
a second/subsequent episodes and/OR a first episode coupled with temperature, not eating/drinking, child generally unwell/not happy would trigger a phone call to say collection now please and 48hr exclusion

AliceK
15-11-2011, 11:19 AM

We all live and learn. Once you've caught a sickness / diarehea bug from a minded child and that bug has then spread through your home to you, your OH and your own children you will realise the importance of putting your foot down on this and say NO to the parent, whatever problems that may place on her. If you get it and have to close what will she do then?
I am very flexible and accomodating on other illnesses but D&V, Never.

xxxxx

marnieb
15-11-2011, 01:33 PM
One episode would put me on alert and I'd probably text the parent to forewarn them
a second/subsequent episodes and/OR a first episode coupled with temperature, not eating/drinking, child generally unwell/not happy would trigger a phone call to say collection now please and 48hr exclusion

This is exactly what i do!!!!!

VeggieSausage
15-11-2011, 02:04 PM
Totally with AliceK!