PDA

View Full Version : First Aid Course :(

adele1985
14-11-2011, 04:23 PM
does anyone else hate doing this course as much as I do??

I understand that having a refresh is really useful.....I just HATE doing all the practical stuff infront of a room rul of people i dont know

Its my 2nd week out of 4 tonight :(

Tatjana
14-11-2011, 04:40 PM
Yep me too, got mine to look forward to in January. Also means having to ask parents to pick up earlier to ensure I can get there on time:rolleyes:

Chimps Childminding
14-11-2011, 05:05 PM
Yep!! We did ours in May and I also hate the bit where you have to do role play!!! At least its only every 3 years :rolleyes:

sarah707
14-11-2011, 05:54 PM
Last time I couldn't do the choking doll I just didn't have the strength in my hands. I thought she was going to fail me :(

Luckily I managed after about the 10th try it was really embarrassing in front of everyone as well. But it's over now! :D

Velleity
14-11-2011, 06:04 PM
I hated the role-play too. Really hated it and somehow managed to get volunteered to do it all while the rest of them stood behind me holding up various pieces of paper. I find the whole thing really stressful and am not looking forward to doing it again.

miffy
14-11-2011, 06:05 PM
I hate the dummies - blowing into their mouths makes me want to heave :panic:

Miffy xx

aly
14-11-2011, 06:53 PM

I understand that having a refresh is really useful.....I just HATE doing all the practical stuff infront of a room rul of people i dont know

they are all in the same boat as you ;)

i just did my 2nd on sat ..thank god over with for 3 years....

JCrakers
14-11-2011, 07:50 PM
I did my first aid last Nov and the instructor was so laid back he was nearly lying flat :D

We didn't have to do anything we didn't want so we had a quick go at the dummy in pairs, we did the recovery position while he went to the loo..he came back in had a quick walk round and that was that. The rest of the time we sat and looked at the projector. He was a retired paramedic

The first day we did 9.30am-1.30pm and the next day was 9.30am-12pm
(supposed to be a 12 hr course) we zipped through it so fast :eek:

It was good for me though as i just needed a refresh but there were a few people who were new

Terrible really :blush:

Greengrass74
14-11-2011, 07:59 PM

I tend to agree it is not nice doing this in front of people that you don't know, but just think if you are ever in a situation where you need to use First Aid then hopefully the practical stuff will have been worthwhile.

I think a bit of time out of our comfort zone is well worth it if it means saving a life.

sarah c
14-11-2011, 08:12 PM
awwww i really enjoyed my first aid but the person doing it was laid back and we had a laugh as well as learn. but i did to full days which was better i think.

x

Helen Dempster
14-11-2011, 09:53 PM
the lady who did mine was very funny, I think she helped to relax everyone. It's not a very nice feeling though, I feel so uncomfortable doing the role play stuff (the bit I hate most is shouting "can you hear me?" to the dummy) It just makes me feel embarrassed...and I get all giggly when I'm embarrassed :blush:

Just take comfort in the fact that I can guarantee you that 99% of the people on the course feel exactly the same way that you do...and you never know, one day you may be able to save someone's life - how cool would that be?

Good luck chick :thumbsup:

appleblossom
14-11-2011, 11:53 PM
In October for the first time I arranged mine myself instead of going for the LA course. I did this because the LA courses are all in difficult places to get to by public transport and I don't drive. Also I wanted to do it all in one weekend rather than it eating into two weekends or 6 week nights.

So I booked it with St John's at our local ST John HQ. It was really good to be doing the course with people other than only child minders (although there were a couple of other CM). It did cost me rather than being free as it is with the LA; but worth it as I enjoyed it more and it was more convenient.

Twinkles
14-11-2011, 11:58 PM
Hate hate hate hate hate it !!

The instructors I've had all seem to think they're talking to morons !

Even when you say ' We've been doing this for donkey's years' they insist on droning on about the very basic stuff. Why can't they just get right on and ask us questions to see what we know/remember ?:angry:

I'd rather do a refresher course of an hour or so every year than 12 hours every three.

Tink
15-11-2011, 07:45 AM
I am totally opposite, I love it, just completed another 12 hour course, did this with my sister and there was only 6 of us on the course, the tutor made it so much fun and the 3 nights flew by.
I have always secretly wanted to be a paramedic so I always enjoy learning what to do.