PDA

View Full Version : RE-Register?? :(

Happyvez
14-11-2011, 10:51 AM
Hi

I am finding it really difficult to get hold of my LA, so thought you may be able to help. I am coming to the end of becoming a registered childminder- just waiting for CRBs to come back and then Ofsted inspection. I hold a CACHE Level 3 in Childcare and Education, as well as the CACHE Home-based childcare certificate and Paediatric First Aid Certificate. I have been volunteering at a Primary School for about a year and I work once a week at a playgroup (I am well trained to become a childminder!). However, a few forums online have mentioned someone in my situation have to redo the whole of the ICP course again as I completed in July 2010 (more than 6 months ago). Not only does this sound crazy! But, I literally cannot afford it as my Doctor alone charged me £95 to sign the Health Declaration. I really hope I don't have to do the ICP course all over again and as I have mentioned, I am unable to get hold of my Local Authority to ask as they never seem to answer the phone. Surely my CACHE Level 3 Diploma in Childcare and Education is a far more superior course anyway and would over-ride the rule?

Thanks in advance!
:angry:

Tealady
14-11-2011, 01:03 PM
Not sure about this but if you can't get hold of your LA I'd try phoning Ofsted

Louise317
14-11-2011, 01:28 PM
My understanding was that you DO have to do ICP regardless of what certificates you have and if over 6 months old have to do again.

On my course were nannies and a teacher who all have the grades... and our LA kept chasing us with the process before registered to make sure we didn't have to do the course again

I would call Ofsted honey if you can't get hold of LA x

samb
14-11-2011, 02:23 PM
I do remember from when I did mine (may 2010) that they said registration had to be done within a certain time frame or would have to be repeated. Not sure how long it was though? It doesn't matter what previous childcare qualifications you have either. It is very annoying - keep trying your LA - all numbers you have for them plus Ofsted. And email too. I know at my LA often the person you need to speak to is out but can be contacted via email. Good luck - hope you don't have to do it again - and I don't think you would have to do the health declaration again anyway?

Penny1959
14-11-2011, 02:25 PM
I think this may be more of a LA think - linked to their quality assurance schemes / funding

Yes if you re register as a cm after a break you may have to re do the introductory course - I did (despite working for NCMA /LA in that break)

And yes all have to do course to register in first place no matter what their level of qualification

BUT currently under EYFS (unless I have missed an update) cm's have 6 months from registration to complete course - in Ofsteds eyes - so I can not see how ofsted can make you do it again if have done it recently (the LA I worked for used to say it was ok provided it was the current course - not aprevious outdated one)

So you really need to contact your LA - as it might be their rules.

Penny :)

Chatterbox Childcare
14-11-2011, 02:38 PM
I think that previously if a person did their ICP and then didn't proceed with their application then the next time they applied they would need to re do it. However, as you completed the whole level 3 I would have thought that this would be sufficient.

The ICP is no longer in place though as the diploma has changed.

Have you tried the Early Years Department at your local council?