PDA

View Full Version : Problem

pinky33
13-11-2011, 10:35 PM
Hiya Ladies

Got a problem.
Have a new child starting tomorrow, done settling in on Friday.
We use a online system so all policies, permissions ect are on there and mum hasn't signed them.
I have sent messages asking for them to be signed and also the next two week need paying for. She answered ok but still hasn't signed them. We have to go out to our childminding group as soon as she gets here tomorrow so no time to do paperwork then (we explained thi on Friday).

So my question is would you refuse care as obviously we won't take a child out without permission and we can't miss this group tomorrow as it's a important session tomorrow.

To be honest I don't care if she gets upset about it as I can see her being a pain as we move forward and only took her on as a favour to a old nannying boss

Penny1959
13-11-2011, 10:40 PM
I would phone her first thing in the morning and explain that unless she signs you can not take child in the morning - either into your setting or out of setting.

Up to her then if she signs or not.

Penny :)

samb
13-11-2011, 10:44 PM
Oh dear what a pain! I would send a quick text (only as it is a bit late to ring now!) stating that you will be expecting them to arrive 15 mins (or whatever would be best for you) before contract start time to ensure all paperwork is signed so that you can legally care for her child. You could also tell her what time you would be back in case she cant get to you for then and maybe she could come later with the correct documents? I think you are right to not take the child without the forms signed. Is it really that important to be at group on time? If mum does arrive at contracted time could you just leave 10 mins later? Obviously if getting public transport or something this might not be possible but just thinking if you think she may be awkward in the furture, maybe she will be better if you show willing to be flexible too?

pinky33
13-11-2011, 10:53 PM
Yes can't be late for group as we have a fund raising event on with the general public and we have a lot of the stuff here. I think we have proved our flexibility with her ever changing needs in regard to settling in and stuff.

Think I'm gonna text at 8am and prompt her agin to sign or as you suggested tell her what time we will be home.
Wish I had listened to my gut with this one lol.

rickysmiths
13-11-2011, 11:02 PM
This is why I have a meeting with the parents especially to sign Contracts and all the other forms and they have to bring back the filled in child info form to this meeting as well. They have to pay a four week Deposit at that time as well, which is kept until the end of the contract.

I make it very clear that I can not start care until all this has been done and I can not do it when they turn up on the doorstep the first day either. If they were my parents I would have phoned them earlier today and if I had not got a response I would refuse care until they take the time to complete the paperwork. It is very clear you are not insured to care for their child until they have signed on the dotted line for everything.

Really you should not have done the settling in without all the paperwork in place either because you were working and not insured or fulfilling the terms and requirements of your registration. Sorry.

pinky33
13-11-2011, 11:31 PM
Mum was here for settling in so was t to worried then. Contacts are signed and deposit for a month taken also. This is why she had all weekend to read and sign everything else. I did try to phone but no answer that's why I texted.
Normally parents are quick to sign everything else oh well I shall have to call her early tomorrow.

rickysmiths
14-11-2011, 08:57 AM
Mum was here for settling in so was t to worried then. Contacts are signed and deposit for a month taken also. This is why she had all weekend to read and sign everything else. I did try to phone but no answer that's why I texted.
Normally parents are quick to sign everything else oh well I shall have to call her early tomorrow.

It makes no difference if mum is with you your permissions should be signed before they start and before they use your setting. Next time it might be an idea to do it the way some Nurseries do and get the parents to sign while they are with the child settling in?

pinky33
14-11-2011, 03:23 PM
As far as I was aware if a parent is staying then it's a visit and I don't get visitors to sign all paperwork or maybe I'm mistaken.

Like I said it's done on a online system so policies and permissions are there for them to read at their own pace and sign before thechild is left alone with us. Deposits and contracts are done at a separate meeting before all this. I kind of feel I'm being berated for not doing something right when in fact my problem was that mum hadn't carried out what we needed her to do.

But if I'm wrong and paperwork has to be signed before a parent visits then hands up I'm sorry.

samb
14-11-2011, 06:02 PM
I have mine done before the settling in session prior to contract starting but then I don't have parents staying for that. Maybe it is a good time to get them to sign everything you need if they are there anyway? Did you get it sorted?

pinky33
14-11-2011, 10:17 PM
Yes thanks got it sorted.

Helcatt
14-11-2011, 11:18 PM
we use the same system Pinky and I have had the same problem before. I have made them log in and sign it off in front of me before I can look after the child

Glad you got it sorted

HX

mushpea
15-11-2011, 07:06 AM
i get parents to sign contracts at a meeting but I send them home with the policys and permisions slips to read through first then they bring them back on the 1st day,, if they arent signed then i would refuse care.

Tink
15-11-2011, 07:18 AM
I personally wouldn't do permissions, policies and procedure signing online I like parents to sit in front of me and sign everything, then there is no waiting around etc.