PDA

View Full Version : Must be mad...starting a degree

maisiemog
13-11-2011, 09:27 AM
Having thought long and hard about whether I want to stay in CMing for a few months I have decided this is definately the career for me! It suits too well and I could never go back to working for somebody else now! So with that in mind I have just signed up to do the open university degree in childhood and youth studies!

First module all paid for and I start in January!!! Eeek!!! I must be mad though as it means I have never had a break from studying! Went straight from school to uni, then straight on to my masters. Did that and then started my NVQ for minding. Finished that in September and now I am starting again for another 4ish years!

Anybody else done this degree??? Or thinking about it???

sharonmanc
13-11-2011, 09:40 AM
Good luck, I love studying and am thinking of studying something in Early years, not sure what yet, but I would love to study along side minding.

green puppy
13-11-2011, 10:58 AM
I am on my second module of the foundation degree in early years with the OU. I am enjoying the study, although this module is a bit boring at the moment! It's quite difficult fitting in study time and 50 odd hours a week childminding plus that paper work. I did look at taking the path to the childhood and youth studies but think I am heading for the BA (HONS) in early years. Which course are you starting with?

jumpinjen
13-11-2011, 02:05 PM
Good luck!

Having just finished my Montessori teaching diploma I am having a few years out having just had a new baby but will probably do a degree in early years then!

i love studying though - hope it goes well!

jen x

Carol M
13-11-2011, 02:47 PM
Good Luck Maisiemog,
Oh how I wish I was 20 yrs younger, I might have the stamina then :laughing:
Carol xx

WibbleWobble
13-11-2011, 03:37 PM
Good Luck Maisiemog,
Oh how I wish I was 20 yrs younger, I might have the stamina then :laughing:
Carol xx

oh how i wish i was too.....but theres no fool like an old fool....on my second module of the OU FD!!!

mandy xx

watgem
13-11-2011, 05:05 PM
I have just started the 3rd year of my early years degree, its hard work but I'm really enjoying it, and would love to do more after if I can get the funding, so well done you and hope you enjoy the next 3-4 years, you will also make some really good friends:)

T0ffee
13-11-2011, 09:33 PM
Hiya, I'm doing BA (hons) in childhood and youth studies through the OU. I have been studying this for the past 5 years with one year left!! It's pretty tough going and hopefully it will be worth it.

miffy
13-11-2011, 09:41 PM
Good luck Maisiemog, I'm sure the time will go quickly for you!

Miffy xx

Penny1959
13-11-2011, 10:46 PM
Good luck - I think you will enjoy it - at least most of the time.

I really must get my act together and do something about completing mine - 90 credits short!

Lets us know how it goes when you start in Jan

Penny :)

bexcee
14-11-2011, 12:11 PM
I've just completed my nvq3 and am wondering what (if anything!) to do next so will be interested to hear how you get on.
I don't want to be a childminder for ever but I don't know what I do want to do so am a bit stuck.

Beetlejuice
14-11-2011, 01:18 PM
Good for you! I started minding just over 4 years ago and I've been studying continuously since then. I did my ICP, then DHC, then NVQ and now on the FOundation Degree in Early Years. I had a 6 month gap between my NVQ and degree so I did a degree module in SEN too :eek: Yep I'm completely bonkers!

Well done you and let us know how you are getting on.
xx

The Juggler
14-11-2011, 02:28 PM
go for it. i did the fd then the top up year. i loved the learning (but hated the homework :laughing: :laughing: ) but the way it has changed how I work and how I see the kids is amazing.:D

FizzWizz
14-11-2011, 02:34 PM
I've just finished my Diploma in Childcare (level 3) and am looking for something to do next. Can anyone advise me on roughly how much it costs to do an early years foundation degree? Thanks...