PDA

View Full Version : How would you deal with this?

smurfette
12-11-2011, 05:42 PM
Hi

I asked all of my mums to give me car seats for their little ones and I provide everything else mainly because of cost and I feel history of car seats can be dodgy .. However the one one of my mums provided is one I think she may have used when she was a baby I am not joking it is old as the hills! It doesnt sit well on my car seats sort of overhangs the seat and the inside belt isn't adjustable the way they are now so difficult to change if she is wearing a coat etc. And now it's tearing on the hole where the straps come through.. Bit annoyed cos she gave a new one to her mum who doesn't do as much mileage with her as me!

If I can get a second hand more modern seat should I and how would I say to mum I would rather use that?! Or .. Would I be better using hers and If there ever (god forbid) was an accident I will be covered? Thanks

loocyloo
12-11-2011, 05:50 PM
sorry, i don't know what to suggest.

i provide all the car seats, as that way i know they fit my car, and are suitable for the child and are safe. it IS expensive, but you can get some good value seats, and they last a long time!

x

Chimps Childminding
12-11-2011, 06:28 PM
I also provide car seats, I put them through my books too!! You can pick up some good deals from time to time so its worth looking out!

If I was going to buy one I would look at getting a new one in the sale somewhere rather than buy a second hand one, (tbh no one is going to tell you if it has been involved in an accident :rolleyes:) unless you can get one from someone you know and know for sure it is ok!!

rickysmiths
12-11-2011, 06:31 PM
The only car seats I borrow are the first rear facing ones. I provide my own after that because I know their history, always new, they can be put down as an expense and I know they have been bought to fit in my car. Unfortunately not all seats fit all cars. I would never buy a second hand car seat because you have no idea if it has been n an accident or even dropping them can cause damage. The damage may not be visable either just that the frame has been stressed and so not as effective as it should be.

You don't have to spend a fortune on seats look at Asda/Tesco/Kiddicare and watch out for sale in places like Halfords.

Natternic
12-11-2011, 06:50 PM
all cars are different so asking someone else to supply the seat is bit tricky in the first place. You really need to get down to a safety centre or halfords and see which seats they recomend fit your car.

stardust
12-11-2011, 07:07 PM
I have 2 rear facing car seats, 3 toddler seats and 2 booster seats.
All of which i picked up cheap when Argos have their baby and toddler events and in sales well all but my son's silver cross rear facing which rrp's at £200! It was part of the travel system set pushchair cost £300 and i was stupid enough to say to my Nan i liked it and on Christmas day last year mother care had a deal on buy both together and get the car seat free. So my nanny bought it for me :thumbsup: x

Ripeberry
12-11-2011, 07:30 PM
I provide the car seats as it's my car and I'm responsible for the safety of all the passengers. I use one of the baby seats that my own two daughters had and the rest a brand new.
I put them through the books but try and get a good deal on them.
The best website to check for seats is Brittax as they have a 'tool' for checking which seats fit each type of car and where the best position is for each seat :thumbsup:

Nature'sKids!
12-11-2011, 07:32 PM
Look at the ECE Mark on the side. If this isn't up to datethe car seat is illegal, so you aren't allowed to use it, never mind it not being safe.
You need to tell the mum this because you don't want to be breaking the law!

http://www.childcarseats.org.uk/standards/r4403.htm

It needs to have this on the sticker:

ECE R44.03 or ECE R44.04.

gigglinggoblin
12-11-2011, 07:33 PM
I wouldnt be 100% certain you would be covered if there was an accident, if the seat is obviously not safe (and if the belt doesnt adjust I dont see how it can be) and you still use it I think that is rather questionable. If parents provide food and send in rat poison you wouldnt give it to the child and say you are covered because it wasnt your choice! Sad fact is lots of parents dont think car seats (and in some cases seatbelts!) are important and they may object to providing you with one for whatever reason. I think you need to talk to mum and if she is unwilling to buy a new one you need to decide if you are keeping the child safe by using that seat, if not buy a new one.

Edit to add - I would never, ever use a second hand car seat. Not even if it was provided by parents (if the seat is as bad as you say have you considered it might have been from a car boot sale or something?)

VeggieSausage
12-11-2011, 07:39 PM
Asda have new car seats for £25 - I find it far easier to provide all equipment then there are not these issues x

mushpea
12-11-2011, 08:07 PM
I refuse to use parents firstly as they might not fit my car and secondly as I cant garuntee they havent bought 2nd hand and dont know the history also what would I do with the children whilst I strap their car seats in? if I know I am likley to go out then seats are strapped in the night before.

Nature'sKids!
12-11-2011, 08:14 PM
To be honest this is really bugging me. I'm a bit of a car seat nerd, so that's probably why! But I would suggest you talk to the parents first thing tomorrow morning and say that you need their car seat until they or you can provide another new one for you to use.
I wouldn't drive anywhere with this seat either instead, I it's indeed out of date, it needs to be scrapped. Straps cut, cover taken off, and the seatshell damaged so noone can use it again. I've heard of people pulling car seats out of skips!! Sadly car seats and their proper use don't seem to be regarded as important :(

alwaysright
12-11-2011, 08:21 PM
why not just tell her straight its not suitable! i wouldnt put the child in it as once in your car they are your responsibility, for this reason i provide all seats except the birth to nine months one, parents seats are sometimes not cared for properly whereas i know mine always are as they have to last me so they are kept clean etc

Chimps Childminding
12-11-2011, 08:30 PM
To be fair to the mum she may not be able to afford to supply another car seat for the childminder to use/keep (I am assuming you keep it ? or does it goes home every day ?) I know that some of my parents have one in each of their car, or one for nan/grandad and asking them to supply another may just not be feasible!

Pipsqueak
12-11-2011, 08:31 PM
I provide carseats except rear facing infants ones.

i make sure the carseats I have are age and stage appropriate, are new and I know their history and that they fit my car.

moggy
12-11-2011, 09:07 PM
I am no lawyer but I'd say if you are driving you are responsible for what you strap the children in your care into in your own car. If it is not a seat you are happy with do not use it. It is your reputation and record which will be damaged if it is ever questioned- ie if Police ever stop you for some random reason and they see what seat is being used. Would your car insurance even cover you if an unsuitable seat is being used?

funemnx
12-11-2011, 09:14 PM
I provide all the car seats that are used in my car. I bought three of the Mothercare age 9 months to 11 years ones which have 5 point harnesses for just £40.00 each which are really good and very flexible for the age range they cover :thumbsup:

miffy
12-11-2011, 09:49 PM
If you don't think the car seat is safe I wouldn't use it, it just isn't worth the risk.

I'd look out for a new one in the sales - you can claim the cost through your expenses.

Miffy xx

flowerpots
12-11-2011, 09:56 PM
I definately wouldnt use car seats provided by any of my parents (except rear facing) as i just couldnt guaruntee they hadnt been handed down/bought second hand.

PixiePetal
13-11-2011, 11:43 AM
I keep one for emergencies (I don't drive myself) bought from ASDA in the baby event sale.

Our local hospital is between mindees and my house so in emergency DH could take mindee and me in car to meet parent at hospital.

Helen79
13-11-2011, 12:16 PM
I wouldn't use it either, your insurance would probably be invalid if you had an accident. It's recommended to scrap car seats every 5 years as the plastic can deteriorate in the heat changes in the car so one that is that old isn't going to be safe.
I bought a cheap one from argos that goes from 9months-11years, think it was only 30pound which is a small price to pay for a child's safety.
Does the car seats go home every night or are they kept in your car all the time? I provide car seats cos I couldn't be doing with faffing around every morning putting the car seats in

The Juggler
13-11-2011, 11:28 PM
i would tell her you have had a change of policy and will now provide the carseats and then hand hers back. that way you'll hopefully not upset her but I would also add that it might be just in the nick of time as I noticed the straps etc are wearing. Tell her about your 'bargain' find (if you do get a good deal) and and recommend she get one too.:)

smurfette
13-11-2011, 11:46 PM
Thanks y'all .. No this is one she leaves with me. Car seats dont seem to be as cheap here in Ireland and we can't claim expenses like you , nevertheless I am on the lookout now for a reasonably priced new one. Thanks for the comments and suggestions how to handle it, as always very helpful and appreciate it!