PDA

View Full Version : What age is best?

littletreasures
12-11-2011, 08:11 AM
Just wondering what age you find the easiest to settle and which the hardest when children first start?

I have had a lot of my mindees from 5/6 months and found they settle really quickly.

The ones I have had from 7/8 months I have found take a lot longer to settle.

What about 14 month olds? Do you find they settle quickly?

I know it depends on the child and how many days they come to you, but what age would you prefer to have mindees from?

christine e
12-11-2011, 08:14 AM
Thinking back to my NVQ days I remember up to 5 months a baby would settle best getting harder around the 7-8 months and then after that harder still until they can fully understand what is happening so i would expect a 14 month old to have separation issues.

Cx

sandy64
12-11-2011, 08:24 AM
most of mine have started as babies up to 11months and ive had no problems i did have a 14mth old which lasted a week due to screaming kicking everyone in sight but she hadnt ever been left before so i supose it also depends on if they have been with others or just mummy/daddy:)

jelly15
12-11-2011, 09:30 AM
Six months or younger is easiest and then when they are around their second birthday when they really understand that mummy/daddy will be coming back for them. However, I have recently had a one year old start and from the momment he set foot in the door he has been happy as Larry.

Trouble
12-11-2011, 09:56 AM
None:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

no 2 upwards xxx:D :D :D

AliceK
12-11-2011, 11:47 AM
I don't take babies under 12mths anymore. All the children I've had from the age of 12mths upwards have all settled really well with virtually no problems so that's what I stick with now.

xxx

funemnx
12-11-2011, 09:17 PM
I find the very small babies easiest to settle. The separation anxiety hasn't kicked in yet at that age. Having said that I've only ever had one 'screamer' but that did last 2 years...... :eek:

flowerpots
12-11-2011, 09:27 PM
I think ive found it the opposite to most, ive found under 12months easy to settle 1-2yrs difficult.

miffy
12-11-2011, 09:37 PM
I don't think it's just down to age - it depends on the child's temperament and whether they have ever been left with anyone other than mum/dad.

Miffy xx

Vickster
12-11-2011, 09:42 PM
Well, I have had two 9 month olds start and no tears, napping fine from day one (still with me)! I have my third 9 month old starting in December and hoping for the same. I have had a 2 four year olds, a five year old and a six year old too and they have also been fine.

I too believe it is whether they have been left before

Wendybird
12-11-2011, 09:45 PM
I vote it all depends :laughing: My 17 month old was really hard and still is when he's tired (he pinches and scratches my son when he's feeling upset). But he's never really been apart from mum at all and is still very baby-ish. I prefer to have slightly older children 2-4 as that works best with my family (and playspace) right now. I don't think I'd take another under 2 at the moment - I have a 4 month old of my own and one baby is enough!

littletreasures
13-11-2011, 08:29 AM
I've got a Mum coming to see me soon with a baby who was born in July so 4 months at the moment.

She doesn't know whether to return to work in April when he will be 9 months or September when he will be 14 months. I want to try and guide her.

As you say it depends on whether they are with Mum the whole time or if they go to Granny's etc.

I would plan to do lots of settling sessions leading up to it anyway, so hopefully won't be a problem.

rickysmiths
13-11-2011, 08:49 AM
I don't think there is likely to be any difference between 9mths and 14mths. Some children of that age settle really well and others find it very very hard. A lot depends on how the parents approach the transition. I find the more they have prepared an older child, talked to them about where they are coming and what fun it will be etc helps. If the parent is very nervous and anxious this can transfer to the child.

I had a 13mth ol this summer who was never going to settle because of the parents extreme anxiety. They clutched them tight, reassured them that mum or dad 'were here' as they brought them in and then of course went to work and weren't there :rolleyes:

As an older minder I must say I pref them at no more than 6 or 7 mths and I have never had a problem with any child of this age in terms of settling in. I would be trying to persuade the mum to go back to work in Feb :blush:

littletreasures
13-11-2011, 10:00 AM
As an older minder I must say I pref them at no more than 6 or 7 mths and I have never had a problem with any child of this age in terms of settling in. I would be trying to persuade the mum to go back to work in Feb :blush:

This would be my ideal too. I suppose I could try, but she's a teacher and I don't think she wants to go back mid-term. She's got a meeting with school on 1st December so I need to slip in how much easier they settle the younger they are :blush:

rickysmiths
13-11-2011, 02:31 PM
This would be my ideal too. I suppose I could try, but she's a teacher and I don't think she wants to go back mid-term. She's got a meeting with school on 1st December so I need to slip in how much easier they settle the younger they are :blush:

I think with teachers who are off and due to go back in a September. They have to go back to work for some time, I think even half a term in the summer at least, if they want to be paid over the summer. You may find she will go back after the Half Term which is the first week in June next year because of the Queens Jubilee.

kellib
13-11-2011, 06:49 PM
I've had 2 start with me when they were 14 months and they were both absolutely fine.

And I had an 18 month start last week and he was totally fine as well, much to Mum's disappointment (she seemed upset when I said he hadn't cried once since she's left:laughing: )

WibbleWobble
13-11-2011, 06:56 PM
i have never had problems with settling in (touch wood)

i have had children aged 4 months, 10 months, 20 months, 4 years and all the way up to 9 years start here. and not had one problem

i have a brother and sister who were 10 months and 20 months when they started - older child asked repeatedly where mummy was i told her mummy was at work making money to buy drinks and dinners.

after a week or so she would come and tell me where mummy was.

Now 18 months later they run in and mum has to ask for a kiss...they are so absorbed.

the 4 month old is now 11 months and she wants to close the door on mummy. she sees me from the car and starts waving her legs and arms in excitement. she always wants to come to me when mummy offers her to me.

very very very very lucky....i know

mandy xxx