PDA

View Full Version : Difference between assistant and co minder?

littleblue
11-11-2011, 01:56 PM
I am thinking of having my husband work with me on a full time basis. As far as I can tell he would just need a first aid certificate to become my assistant. Is there any difference in the number of children we could have if he was a childminder too? I'm thinking Ofsted would allow us a further 3 in the early years either way, am I right? And does anyone know how many 5-8's we could have between us? Thanks!

butterfly
11-11-2011, 04:22 PM
If he becomes your assistant he will need a first aid certificate but will probably only be allowed to work alongside you not on his own (unless for very short periods when it can't be avoided eg school runs) Numbers of children would be dependent on square footage and wouldn't necessarily double your allowance.

If he registered in his own right he would need all the same checks and courses as you and would be inspected seperately unless you can persuade Ofsted to inspect you together. He would then be allowed to work on his own allowing him to carry on even if you couldn't work. He would get his own number of children (mx 6 under 8 - as long as your house provides the necessary square footage)

Depends why you want him really - if it's just support whilst you're working maybe an assistant would be better but it would worth measuring your home and ringing ofsted to ask.

Also check you don't need to get planning permission in your area - we do here for anything over 6 children under 8 in one house.