PDA

View Full Version : Health and Safety

Bernie
10-11-2011, 11:19 PM
Is there a diffinitive list of what we can and can't use in our setting? Like schools and nurseries have?

I.e.

Not allowedto use polystyrene
Not allowed to use toilet roll tubes for crafting

etc.

I don't really have anything in my paperwork but you hear little snippets from different places.

:blush: :blush: :blush:

redsky
11-11-2011, 12:25 AM
I'm not a childminder yet, but I am pretty certain there isn't, as there isn't actually a definitive list for use in nurseries either, it's a bit of an "urban myth" type thing that you can't use toilet tubes for crafting.
See this HSE 'myth-buster' on it:
http://www.hse.gov.uk/myth/august.htm

nokidshere
11-11-2011, 10:25 AM
Is there a diffinitive list of what we can and can't use in our setting? Like schools and nurseries have?

I.e.

Not allowedto use polystyrene
Not allowed to use toilet roll tubes for crafting

etc.

I don't really have anything in my paperwork but you hear little snippets from different places.

:blush: :blush: :blush:

I don't know about polystyrene - I wouldn;t use it because ingested it can be dangerous and its too easily broken up but don't know if there is a difinitive "rule" about it.

As for toilet roll tubes, egg boxes etc etc as a previous poster said, it's all urban myths - the hse website is good for seeing what funny little things are going round!

Its worth noting that the HSE do not make "laws" about the use of any items in any workplace. They are an advisory service that simply give people the skills to ensure that their workplaces are as safe as possible. And that means risk assessing not banning. Even in highly dangerous factories they don't say "you can't do that" they only say "how can you do that as safely as possible".

Bernie
12-11-2011, 07:53 PM
Thanks guys.

xx