PDA

View Full Version : First outing...

jumping j
10-11-2011, 02:36 PM
I think I might be insane. Today I had 2 month old, 21 month old, 22 month old, 3.5 year old and 4 year old and I decided to take them to the local lake, there's a big grassy area away from the lake where they can run around and let off some steam and after the past few miserable days being kept inside I think they needed some fresh air.
I know it was still raining but we put on coats with hoods and were fine.
It went really smoothly, 2 month old went into new baby sling.
21 and 22 month old into double buggy, other two walking next to the buggy. I even managed to negotiate the toilets and fit is all inside, including the buggy, it was the diabled toilets so plenty of room!!!
We went jumping in muddy puddle (peppa pig thank you very much) kicking leaves and chasing around the trees.
All children are now fast asleep and it is very quiet!!!:clapping:
I'm feeling rather proud of my self as I have no children of my own and it's only my second day with the 2 month old :jump for joy:

LeeMarie
10-11-2011, 02:44 PM
Well done! I find it hard going out with four children aged between 18mths and 3.5 years. And when it involves a large open space I try to get another childminder friend to go with me as my mindees would all be running in different directions.

moogster1a
10-11-2011, 04:06 PM
You've got 5 under 5's?!! how on earth did you get the variation for that?

rickysmiths
10-11-2011, 04:38 PM
I was just thinking that, unless this was after school having collected the 4 year old from school at 3pm+

No, I have just looked at the time of the post, the four year old does not appear to be in full time school this was posted at 2.30ish. Unless its a training day.

You need to be careful, I have never heard of any cm getting a variation for 5 under 5s on their own, only if working with an assistant. If you are working over numbers remember your insurance won't be valid nor will your registration.

Please come and tell us we are all wrong.

jumping j
10-11-2011, 04:44 PM
4 and 3 year olds both go to nursery half days, one morning and one afternoon, there's a 45 minute overlap! couldn't cope with them all day!!!:panic: :panic:

moogster1a
10-11-2011, 05:36 PM
And OFSTED were ok with that? You were lucky. I know someone who was refused for a 20 min. overlap

jumping j
10-11-2011, 05:49 PM
yeh, it's for shift workers so it only happens about once every 4 weeks, they said as long as it's not every day/week and it's for continuous care for siblings. I didn't question it!

nic t
10-11-2011, 06:33 PM
Wow so you have 4 under 5s and then on the overlap you have 5 unders?

I am not doubting you but have you checked the wording on your variation? I can see them granting for 4 unders for a 45 min overlap but never heard of one person alone being allowed 5 unders?

Would hate for there to have been some kind of mix up and you get in trouble. :(

Natternic
10-11-2011, 06:45 PM
Gees give this minder a break! She wants to tell you about her outing, not question everything about her variation

nic t
10-11-2011, 06:48 PM
Gees give this minder a break! She wants to tell you about her outing, not question everything about her variation

Erm, from what I can see no-one is having a go, just maybe offering some advice so please don't turn it in to something that it isn't.

Much better to get it checked via this environment than via a complaint. All of the above comments seem to contain genuine concern for the op and her business.

rickysmiths
10-11-2011, 10:49 PM

I have often had Variations to allow me to have four children under five. I am an experienced childminder, 17 years and I have an 18yr old and 17yr old of my own. I know an number of experienced minders who have 4 under fives but never 5 even for an overlap so short even for sibblings it is usually only allowed if you are working with another minder or have a registered assistant.

We are not having a go. We are really concerned that this new childminder has maybe misunderstood a variation and Ofsted. This is important because if she has she is breaking the terms of her registration and she will not be covered by her Insurance so she could be putting herself in danger and the children in her care, a situation I am sure she would not want.

This is one of the benefits of this forum so many people with so much experience to share.

Maza
10-11-2011, 11:04 PM
You're very brave! Obviously very fit too - double buggy and sling! I bet they loved it though - they just love open spaces!

jane5
10-11-2011, 11:15 PM
Wow I think you were really brave to go outside with them all :eek:

I have 4 under 5 aged 1,2,2 and 3 and I have an ABC triple buggy and 1 on reins and will take them to the childminders dropin and a music group where they are all in 1 room.

I would not take them to an open space because I know they would all run in different directions. The 3 yr old is my dd and does tend to play me up although the others are very well behaved.

I think 4 is hard work and I could not imagine 5 ;)