PDA

View Full Version : Assumptions...

Gherkin
15-05-2008, 10:35 PM
I just love the way people make assumptions. Todays have been:
1) Another childminder telling me that I am far stricter than her - she has never seen me at home and only seen me on the school run when I have a 7 yo with ADHD who takes a hell of a lot of management!

2) Parent assuming that i mind just because I love it an =d not for the fact that I need to earn a living. My dh and I own our house and have 2 cars- one of which is my dh company car. The parent assumes because of the above that I do not need the money. I work to a very tight budget each month and have debts to pay but because we own our house he thinks we are not in need of the money. :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Mind you I am loving the minding!

cherryt
15-05-2008, 11:10 PM
yes I love the minding and the convenience that it brings to our family life, but I sometimes feel that 'outsiders' think it is a game that I play because it keeps me busy rather than 'going out to work' :angry: .

when I say 'outsiders' I do not mean my present clients, they see me at the end of the day frazzled and weary from the stresses that some days can bring, but also the fun and laughter that one small child can start

littlewonders
16-05-2008, 05:32 AM
I am not actually minding yet and already had comments along the lines of 'ooh you'll be raking it in' and 'aw what a nice easy job' I am fed up to the back teeth of explaining paperwork, courses, observations.......lol I only received the registration cert yesterday hehe x

sarah707
16-05-2008, 06:43 AM
I get fed up with 'how doooo you cope with that lot?'... Well, errr, it's my job!!

Wonder how they'd feel if I went to their place of work and asked them how they coped with their job...do you think they might be a touch insulted?? :rolleyes:

susi513
16-05-2008, 07:04 AM
Exactly Sarah. When they tell me they wouldn't do my job, I say well I sure wouldn't do you yours either!

And why do people ALWAYS have to comment on how many children I have with me? "On your own today then?"
Well yes even I get a day off from time to time!

Or "You've got your hands full today!"
Well thats my job
I work hard for my pennies :D

crazybones
16-05-2008, 07:07 AM
People think I have had a buggy attached to me for the last 11 years! I had a day off once with hubby (my dad had actually passed away) and went to school to pick up my own children and left the baby with hubby. You wouldnt believe how many people commented on the fact that I wasnt pushing a pram. Mind you I didnt know what to do with my hands. :o

nell57
16-05-2008, 07:27 AM
Exactly Sarah. When they tell me they wouldn't do my job, I say well I sure wouldn't do you yours either!

And why do people ALWAYS have to comment on how many children I have with me? "On your own today then?"
Well yes even I get a day off from time to time!

Or "You've got your hands full today!"
Well thats my job
I work hard for my pennies :D

:laughing: :laughing: These are excactly the comments I get every day, off the same people every day too:rolleyes:

Helen

Pipsqueak
16-05-2008, 07:40 AM
I love the "how do you cope with all them children" (what children??? I am the Pied Piper y'no!):laughing:

"you'll be ready to go back to work after all them children" - oh yes give me a 9-5 job please away from my own family where I have someone telling me what to do all day. and of course I am not working looking after all these children - I am just "watching" them

:D

Gherkin
16-05-2008, 10:50 PM
My brother in law thinks I am "raking it in". The fact that I work harder now than ever and earn 75% less than I used to before I had my own children seems to pass him by. I also used to get to travel to New York regualrly on business and everyone seems to forget that I had a career pre child care. No one I deal with now seems to thinkwhat I am doing is a career even thought I am running my own business! Arghhhhhhhh!

mum22
17-05-2008, 06:23 AM
its funny when people ask about childminding and say are you still doing it - i say yes of course this is the career i have chosen... they look at me so strange - but i have chosen it and it is a career and now i actually at last have a job that i love and fulfills me.

x helen

LittleAcorns
17-05-2008, 06:56 AM
Arrrrrr all sounds so familiar!!!!

The assumptions I hate are....parents assuming I dont have a life outside minding!!

one parent rang the other night at 6pm (pick up time) to say she was working late so dad would pick up, fine np, thinking hes on his way, at 6.35 I rang dad to find out where he was?? he was 5 mins away! no thank you no sorry, I was only waiting to sit down with my husband for our tea!!!!! Id only been on the go since 6am!!! started work at 7.10 but hey ho........do you think I was miffed!!!

scottie
17-05-2008, 07:47 AM
i have the same problem with parent just not thinking that what i do is really a job just like they do and never say sorry about being late.

i think our title is part of the problem -'childminder' i think a lot of people think you just sit about and let the kids get on with it maybe it's time for a name chage ???? any ideas:D

after all we do more than most people think:littleangel:

berkschick
17-05-2008, 07:59 AM
I must be very lucky with my parents.

I only have 1 who used to collect late and mess me about with money.

I got a bit tough and now he us actually early!

But it used to really wind me up when he would knock the door 10 mins late, see our tea on the table getting cold and then sit on the sofa and make chit chat with me.

This week we have made paper flowers. ALL the parents were really impressed and thanked me lots. 2 Mums even text me when they got in from work and saw them ( as Dad had colleted).

I ALWAYS get comments at the school when I dont have my triple. I only had the single yesterday as the twins are on hols and I got "business slow today then?" At least you giving the rest of us room on the path" and other stupid comments!

Jinx
17-05-2008, 11:33 AM
When my sister worked full time (37hrs) my mum used to go over to her house and do the cleaning! I 'joked' about it the other day and said maybe she should do mine as I now work a 44hr week.
She replied, 'yes but you're not really working are you. It's not hard looking after the little ones when you've had 4 of your own. You're at home all day and can do your own housework'
Now, my sister is at home with a 1 yr old and another on the way and mum is still going down to help with the house and dad goes down and does the garden for her husband!!!!

Do I sound bitter......yeap.....like a lemon!!!!:D :D

Jinx x

vix84
17-05-2008, 12:21 PM
The only comment I have had was from a fellow childminder, when she realised I didnt have my own children, she looked suprised and said 'so did you not get any questions when you registered etc.' I just said no, and she said 'well your qualified etc.', but I couldnt understand why she thought people would question why Im doing it cuz I dont have children yet:rolleyes:

I childmind because I wanted my own business, to work for myself, not commute to a Nannying job, and it seemed like the ideal job for me!

Cammie Doodle
17-05-2008, 03:03 PM
Oh Jinx I so understand where you are coming from My Mum is always telling me how my sister is running her own business (she is a hairdresser) Mum has had all 3 of my nephews (sister has never payed for childcare or babysitters) Mum washes all salon towels, Dad does anything required. (Dont get me wrong sister really appreciates all the help,) but Mum does not seem to realise that I too am running a business. Best comment was when my Nephew came to stay for 2 weeks he commented on how quickly his clothes were washed ironed and put back in his room when he was with Auntie June :blush: he got shot down in flames by Mum and was told Auntie June is at home all day and your Mum is at work that is why Auntie June can do it:angry: So I was only caring for him 7 others but all I do is stay at home :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

crazybones
17-05-2008, 03:07 PM
I had MIL when flicking through my photo album say - I bet you cant wait to get some children who just want to watch the tv all day instead of you having to amuse them like that!

Jinx
17-05-2008, 03:32 PM
Oh Jinx I so understand where you are coming from My Mum is always telling me how my sister is running her own business (she is a hairdresser) Mum has had all 3 of my nephews (sister has never payed for childcare or babysitters) Mum washes all salon towels, Dad does anything required. (Dont get me wrong sister really appreciates all the help,) but Mum does not seem to realise that I too am running a business. Best comment was when my Nephew came to stay for 2 weeks he commented on how quickly his clothes were washed ironed and put back in his room when he was with Auntie June :blush: he got shot down in flames by Mum and was told Auntie June is at home all day and your Mum is at work that is why Auntie June can do it:angry: So I was only caring for him 7 others but all I do is stay at home :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Oh......my.....god. That is disgusting.

I am seriously :censored: off that I am always explaining how much work is involved in childminding. I might as well tell my 11mth old mindee for all the family understand! After all, its just daytime babysitting isn't it!!!!

Jinx x

disney
17-05-2008, 04:04 PM
this is what other people say to me your kids are all grown up now so you can go out and get a proper job :angry: i do a proper job thank you ! x