PDA

View Full Version : Let me know your thoughts on this......

mbusybea
10-11-2011, 12:13 PM
Would like to ask all childminders if there is a need out there for someone to set up a private consultancy business. Ex Ofsted inspectors would be running it to advise childminders on everything about inspection including how to obtain Outstanding and better practice. There would be an advisory line linked into this for you to call for any queries relevant to the inspection process and EYFS. Seems there is a need out there for this, as everyone is stabbing around in the dark for answers, when inspectors know the answers and practice to get you through. What are your thoughts let me kindly know.

sarah707
10-11-2011, 06:26 PM
Unfortunately in my experience every inspector I have ever met is looking for something different.

What one inspector notices and pulls a childminder up over another might ignore while focussing on something else.

I feel it will be impossible for anyone to have all or even most of the answers :D

Chimps Childminding
10-11-2011, 06:35 PM
I have to agree with Sarah! Almost every inspector has something which they are "HOT" on which another inspector might not even mention! It would be great if they all sang from the same hymn sheet, but unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the case :(

Pipsqueak
10-11-2011, 06:39 PM
Would like to ask all childminders if there is a need out there for someone to set up a private consultancy business. Ex Ofsted inspectors would be running it to advise childminders on everything about inspection including how to obtain Outstanding and better practice. There would be an advisory line linked into this for you to call for any queries relevant to the inspection process and EYFS. Seems there is a need out there for this, as everyone is stabbing around in the dark for answers, when inspectors know the answers and practice to get you through. What are your thoughts let me kindly know.

That would be interesting to say the least.
In my experience inspectors say and do and expect things differently on a day to day basis (for example the same inspector told my colleague one thing about LJ's and told me something completely different the next day) and no two inspectors say or do the same thing.
So how would things be clarified?

Would this advisory consultancy business be willing to take the flak and comeback from minders who feel they may have been ill advised when their inspection goes differently.
When I was a support minder we were not allowed to specifically comment to minders about so much so there was no comeback when it came to the inspection crunch.

Given some of the idiotic suggestions made by some inspectors (as told on here and other forums and again in my experience) - do they really know 'everything' (eyfs) ? (I really would question this)- certainly most of the inspectors I have come across certainly do not know their way round EYFS and certainly seem to be largely ignorant of how a childminding setting works and is different to other settings.
Personally I think inspectors can tell you what their ideas are but who is to say that is what the next inspector thinks.

Sorry if that is not what you want to hear but that is my experience.

Pauline
10-11-2011, 08:11 PM
If you were all EX Inspectors how would you keep up to date with all the Ofsted changes? They happen so regularly yet you would not have access to Ofsted information and paperwork or any up to date training.

Pipsqueak
10-11-2011, 08:14 PM
If you were all EX Inspectors how would you keep up to date with all the Ofsted changes? They happen so regularly yet you would not have access to Ofsted information and paperwork or any up to date training.

good point Pauline - not even OFSTED know all their own changes and certainly don't pass them onto us... we have to go digging for information!

danasdaycare
10-11-2011, 08:17 PM

This was my initial thought.

I would personally welcome if it was all set up and thoroughly in line with the governance body dependant on area, that it was national, not just for Ofsted please!

:blush:

Mouse
10-11-2011, 08:48 PM
In theory it's a great idea - phone a helpline, get told how to get outstanding, put all the ideas in place and bingo...you've done it :thumbsup:

Unfortunately, there is a lot more to this job than an outstanding grade. I think it's sad if the whole emphasis is on this. I think it would encourage some cms to go all out to get an outstanding grade, without it actually following through into their practice.

And I have to agree with everyone else, I'm afraid I have no confidence in the statement "when inspectors know the answers and practice to get you through". Experience tells me otherwise :rolleyes:

mbusybea
10-11-2011, 09:35 PM
Certainly minor things will never be covered totally, however if the legal framework is not being applied then the consultants would pick that up. Inspectors and providers work from the same publication.

Anything an inspector picks up that is NOT happening in practice from the framework and the c/m is downgraded for, or a recommendation is raised, it is a breach of conduct on the inspectors behalf and the childminder has a right to complain.

Jiorjiina
11-11-2011, 11:43 AM
Surely if there is an area in which the legal framework is not being applied, then your DO would pick up on it?

Also, the kind of childminder who would consider using a private consultant would probably also be the kind of minder who cared about doing a good job, asked their DO's advice about things, and paid attention to making sure they were sticking to the law, which would then make paying a private consultant to check this for them a bit redundant (and a bit of a waste of money!).

If a minder doesn't care about doing a good job for the children, then they aren't going to pay for a private consultant.

I think.

Mouse
11-11-2011, 12:13 PM
Certainly minor things will never be covered totally, however if the legal framework is not being applied then the consultants would pick that up. Inspectors and providers work from the same publication.

Anything an inspector picks up that is NOT happening in practice from the framework and the c/m is downgraded for, or a recommendation is raised, it is a breach of conduct on the inspectors behalf and the childminder has a right to complain.

But do the inspectors realise that?? Sometimes I have my doubts :rolleyes: :laughing:

I think a service that showed inspectors how to carry out fair and consistent inspections would be a winner :thumbsup:

Pipsqueak
11-11-2011, 12:52 PM
[QUOTE=mbusybea;1009249] Inspectors and providers work from the same publication.

QUOTE]

We do???? Could've fooled me!!!:laughing:

mummyMia
12-11-2011, 04:18 PM
I think in theory this could be a good service. I would certainly be interested in hearing from some ex-inspectors. For me the big issue would be the cost. I have to pay out for so many things as it is. I just couldn't justify spending anything on this, especially as my CDO will come out for free:)

The words 'private consultancy' make me think ££££££££!

Pauline
12-11-2011, 04:46 PM
I just couldn't justify spending anything on this, especially as my CDO will come out for free:)

We are all here for free too :D

PixiePetal
12-11-2011, 06:53 PM
I don't have a DO and use the forum as my advisor :thumbsup:

Karaza
12-11-2011, 07:30 PM
trouble is DO or NCMA give mixed messages so often if there was a service that could give honest advice and not expect childminders to do unnecessary paperwork then I would rather sign up to that than NCMA who are going downhill fast

Maza
12-11-2011, 09:36 PM
If I need advice/clarification, I either phone Ofsted, DO, or come on here. I couldn't justify paying someone.

miffy
12-11-2011, 09:56 PM

Can't see any need for this when we already have this wonderful forum.

Miffy xx

rickysmiths
13-11-2011, 09:29 AM
I agree with Miffy.

I wouldn't pay for help from ex inspectors. How will they be up to date? Also all inspectors have their own 'take' on things anyway.

There is loads of information on the Ofsted Web site on how to get an outstanding. Also Forums like this are fantastic.

gigglinggoblin
13-11-2011, 09:41 AM
Certainly minor things will never be covered totally, however if the legal framework is not being applied then the consultants would pick that up.

We already have lots of support for that so there really wouldnt be any need for it round here. We also get lots of support for the little things too. Ime its the little things people need help with, the legal framework is pretty clear to anyone who wants to do well and if anything isnt clear its very easy to find advice. If I was to pay for something like this (and tbh I wouldnt be willing to pay much even if I didnt have the support) I would want some kind of guarantee that I would get a minimum of good, probably would want better. If you offer a guarantee how would that work? 100% of the fee back? What if your advisor tells me to do something different and Ofsted dont like it as much as the way I used to do it?

samb
13-11-2011, 08:25 PM
I went to a great seminar yesterday on Ofsted Inspections and what they are looking for done by my LA. There are many publications on the oftsed website and this great forum too. I don't think there's a need to state the obvious again to be honest.