PDA

View Full Version : Play bark in the garden

Cazz
15-05-2008, 10:24 PM
I have seen some reasonably priced play bark (the stuff you sometimes get in play areas on parks) and am considering getting some to put under and around the trampoline I want to purchase.

Just wanted to ask if any of you have it in your garden, if Ofsted like it or not (wondered if they may be concerned about a child eating, although they would always be supervised out there) and also does it attract cats to use it as a toilet?

Also, can I keep the receipts for the bark and/or trampoline and claim anything back - my own children will be using during the summer but it will also be available for older mindees (subject to a trampoline policy being signed!) On this subject, if you buy something just for your business how much do you claim back - is it the full cost or just the vat? Sorry this is all new to me!

Dh has got a week off work next week so we can get the house & garden ready so I will add digging and putting bark down to his job list if you think it will be okay! :)

Thanks for your help.

Carole x

chez1373
15-05-2008, 10:28 PM
Sorry ive no idea about Ofsted but the lady across the road from me had bark down and with in 2 months they put the no mow stuff down and she said it was because of the cats using it as there litter box......

I wanted to put it down but since speaking with her i have changed my mind..

Good luck hope others can help with the Ofsted question..

sarah707
16-05-2008, 06:33 AM
I have bark and yes the cats do use it sometimes but it's the best stuff I've come up with for the bit the little ones play on... they use it to transport around the garden though and it does make the lawnmower sound a bit funny sometimes!

I have a membrane down first, then the bark, so weeds don't grow through and I replace it every year as it goes mushy - and yes, I put it through my books. My children are teenagers, I wouldn't have it if I wasn't minding. :D

angeldelight
16-05-2008, 06:46 AM
I have play tree bark

I was lucky enough to get it from my son - he is a landscape gardener and does a lot of work for the council and in their playgrounds

It must be a certain depth but I cant remember now what that is but I could find out - for it to be safe for children

I also got a receipt because I called Ofsted about this and they do like to know that it actually " play bark " you are using and not the type you just put around your bedding
There is a difference and you would get splinters etc from normal bark

It can work out really expensive too

I know wilkinson on line have bags of it fairly cheap but you would need a lot of bags to even do a small area

I never have cats use mine for the toilet but im lucky enough to have a dog haha

I think its great and much more hard wearing than turf

Like Sarah though I would not have it if I was not a childminder

Angel xx

Polly2
16-05-2008, 07:42 AM
I have play bark too and have no trouble with cats - although like Angel I have dogs!!

I put everything I buy for work through my books - even if my children benefit too :thumbsup:

wendywu
16-05-2008, 07:48 AM
Yes i am the same as polly, it all goes through my books. Any toys etc:)

Cazz
16-05-2008, 08:40 AM
Thanks for that. It is play bark cos it says something like playground approved on the bag. The only thing is we do have a lot of cats around here and they go across our garden as a shortcut to next door's pond! Unfortunately we no longer have a dog to keep them away! At the moment there are paving slabs where the trampoline will go so obviously they need to come up and we need to put something safe down.

Angel- if you are able to find out what depth it needs to be for children I would really appreciate it.

Thanks - Carole x

ma7ie
16-05-2008, 09:49 AM
I've got it in my back garden and I get the odd cat using it for a toilet but it's pretty obvious where they have done it because they dig it up. I just clean it up and pour some disinfectant over the area.

Mine is about 2 inch thick to come up to the level of my path.

angeldelight
16-05-2008, 09:56 AM
Yeah I think mine is also about 2 inches

Angel xx