PDA

View Full Version : Mindees last day

Tatia
15-05-2008, 10:11 PM
Today was my 5 year old mindee's last day.:( I've had him for 9 months, after his father got awarded sole custody in a bitter court battle. He was 4 when I took him on and it used to break my heart when he would struggle to hide his tears and his pain (at just 4!) and then collapse against my shoulder when I held him and just sob. He's come so far and adjusted so well. :D I'm really proud of him.

Well, today, his dad showed up to collect him. Dad is a big guy, about 6'4''. I was struggling not to cry as I showed him the memory book and then I looked at Dad and he was bawling his eyes out. This is a good move for them, moving in with Dad's new girlfriend in Suffolk (she's lovely) and I am happy for them but it broke my heart. And to see a grown man cry because he was sad to see his son parted from me started me off, crying. He hugged me and thanked me for everything and after 20 minutes, they left. I sat on sofa next to my husband saying I knew it was gonna be sad but I didn;t realize it was gonna be painful for me to see him go. Next thing I know, husband says "they're back" because they had showed up with an enormous bouquet of flowers for me!:)

I'm just glad I was able to have an impact in what has been a very difficult time for them both. I take comfort knowing they're moving on to a better life.

chez1373
15-05-2008, 10:15 PM
OMG ive got tears in my eyes reading this
Its heart breaking for you and the little boy
Very nice flowers though and you know he is off to bigger and better things so to speak you must have worked wonders i hope it is like that for me when the time comes for my mindees to leave..

Hope your ok now and looking forward to more mindees?

Cazz
15-05-2008, 10:31 PM
Hope you're okay now Tatia.

That must be really heart-wrenching when they leave after you have built up such a special relationship with a child but you should feel very proud of yourself for helping him come through a difficult time and realise what an important part you have played within this family.

I really hope that I will be able to do the same when I start minding, it must be one of the most rewarding parts of the job.

Carole x

sarah707
16-05-2008, 06:34 AM
Hugs Tatia xx

miffy
16-05-2008, 06:37 AM
With some children it's really hard to part even when you know things will be better for them

But you should be proud you were able to make such a difference to this little boy's life and that your care was so appreciated.

Hope you are OK today :)

miffy xx

angeldelight
16-05-2008, 06:40 AM
Oh sorry the little one has now left you

I bet you cried when they gave you the flowers - that is lovely and im sure you deserved them

Hugs to you hope you are ok today

Angel xx

Eagles4ever
16-05-2008, 06:45 AM
Oh that's made me cry :blush:

How lovely that you could make such a difference to the little boy.

Sue x

mrsbumbles
16-05-2008, 06:54 AM
How lovely :thumbsup:

Brought tears to my eyes too :)

crazybones
16-05-2008, 07:03 AM
:group hug: Enjoy your flowers and the fact that you have made a difference to this little man (and his dad's) life.

SimplyLucy
16-05-2008, 07:10 AM
:crying: Awwww that made me cry and I'm normally a right hard cow!

Be proud of yourself for making such a difference.

Tatia
16-05-2008, 12:16 PM
Thank you guys so much. It was so strange without him this morning (although it did mean I got to lie in a bit longer!). We got to school gates this morning and don't you know, I automaically headed for Reception because I had forgotten for a moment! His teacher looked at me from the door and laughed at me (kindly cos she misses him, too).

I've got his new address and will be sending him postcards and letters to keep in touch. I've had other mindees move on but have never really missed them like this.

ma7ie
16-05-2008, 12:19 PM
You've got me blubbing too.

I'm sure he really benefitted from being with you through such a tough time.

LOOPYLISA
16-05-2008, 12:45 PM
Today was my 5 year old mindee's last day.:( I've had him for 9 months, after his father got awarded sole custody in a bitter court battle. He was 4 when I took him on and it used to break my heart when he would struggle to hide his tears and his pain (at just 4!) and then collapse against my shoulder when I held him and just sob. He's come so far and adjusted so well. :D I'm really proud of him.

Well, today, his dad showed up to collect him. Dad is a big guy, about 6'4''. I was struggling not to cry as I showed him the memory book and then I looked at Dad and he was bawling his eyes out. This is a good move for them, moving in with Dad's new girlfriend in Suffolk (she's lovely) and I am happy for them but it broke my heart. And to see a grown man cry because he was sad to see his son parted from me started me off, crying. He hugged me and thanked me for everything and after 20 minutes, they left. I sat on sofa next to my husband saying I knew it was gonna be sad but I didn;t realize it was gonna be painful for me to see him go. Next thing I know, husband says "they're back" because they had showed up with an enormous bouquet of flowers for me!:)

I'm just glad I was able to have an impact in what has been a very difficult time for them both. I take comfort knowing they're moving on to a better life.

Ah ive got tears in my eyes x

ajs
16-05-2008, 12:51 PM
rotten woman i have tears rolling down my face and i've just smudged my mascara

that is so lovely that not only did dad appreciate your efforts by buying you flowers but could see how important you were to the little one too.

the flowers are the easy bit but the thanks and the tears too are what shows his appreciation really.

i feel sure that they will stay in touch with you.

i have just reread your first bit to check something and i'm bawling again.

Cammie Doodle
16-05-2008, 12:54 PM
Bless him, but he will never forget you .I see some of my ex Foster kids (all grown up now) and they can still recall things we done years ago, its so lovely, it makes you realise you did do some good . Enjoy your flowers:)

jaz
16-05-2008, 08:30 PM
What lovely memories you must have of your time together.

Have a lovely weekend and enjoy your flowers - they are well deserved!

J
xx