PDA

View Full Version : RAISINS - been told not to give!

butterfly
10-11-2011, 07:32 AM
A parents returned from their child's 2.5 yr check with the health visitor yesterday and said that she had been told not to give raisins as a snack to her 2.5 yr old.

Apparently the health visiting team are advising against it die to the level of natural sugars in raisins and because of the fact that they are sticky and the sugars stick to children's teeth.

Has anyone else heard this? Do other people give raisins?

PixiePetal
10-11-2011, 07:36 AM
I do give them but my dentist told me he has had lots of 'healthy eating' parents children with problems. They say 'but they don't eat sweets' - he asks if they eat raisins and drink juice and the answer is always YES!

Good dental practice is key - as usual :)

butterfly
10-11-2011, 07:38 AM
I do give them but my dentist told me he has had lots of 'healthy eating' parents children with problems. They say 'but they don't eat sweets' - he asks if they eat raisins and drink juice and the answer is always YES!

Good dental practice is key - as usual :)

Yes I think that too - I told the parent that D had had raisins yesterday with me so she would need to make sure her teeth were cleaned well. Is it my job to worry about whether parents brush their children's teeth after I give raisins or should I just not give them?

Toothfairy
10-11-2011, 07:38 AM
Yes, its true.
They are high in natural sugars and because they are sticky they are stuck to the tooth surface for a long time.

singingcactus
10-11-2011, 07:40 AM
I've heard this years ago. I never sent dried fruit in to school as a snack because of this.

I was reading recently though, some dental research where it had been proved that the sugars from dried fruit are actually moved from the mouth quicker and more easily than fresh fruit. I will look and see if I can re-find the research. I knew I should have bookmarked it.

JulieA
10-11-2011, 07:41 AM
Yes, tis true. It is recommended to give them at a main meal rather than as a snack - same for any dried fruit or juice.

chez
10-11-2011, 07:42 AM
Mum minds for a little 2 yr old whos never had sweets mums really strict about cakes and biscuits etc.

A few months ago she had a routine denist appointment and ended up having a filling.

Her mum was deversated as you can imagine.

Dentist has put it down to raisins and said shed have been better off having sweets.

FussyElmo
10-11-2011, 07:46 AM
Everything in moderation was told this years ago still give my kids raisins if they want it.

Its the same as crisps they do more damage than coke does because you swallow coke straight away whereas crisps can get stuck in your teeth.

Tink
10-11-2011, 07:52 AM
I was told by our dentist not to give raisins as it is worse than sweets.
We stick to apples, pears etc.

If we looked at every thing we ate I think we would all live off rice cakes!!!

Nature'sKids!
10-11-2011, 08:16 AM
I think it's a bit ridiculous to say "better off having sweets" because raisins have at least got nutritional value whereas sweets don't and dental health is also influenced by the nutrition our body receives.
Brushing teeth is the key

Polly2
10-11-2011, 09:07 AM
I did some dental training recently and we were told the same - that raisins were very high in sugar and sticky BUT she did say that as they can be counted as one of our 5 a day we should not stop giving them to children.

She suggested giving them after lunch, so that the teeth do not have more than 4 sugar bursts a day. I think what she was saying that some children are grazing on them making the acidity in their mouth high.

Like others have said - everything in moderation.

VeggieSausage
10-11-2011, 09:10 AM
also in the drying process of raisins are oil covered....

jayjay1963
10-11-2011, 11:00 AM
I was told to give cheese with raisins as they help to neutralize each other.

jacqui

Jiorjiina
10-11-2011, 11:47 AM
I was told by our dentist not to give raisins as it is worse than sweets.
We stick to apples, pears etc.

But Hazey, what about the fruit acids that erodes the enamel on the children's teeth!! :panic:

;)

JCrakers
10-11-2011, 12:01 PM
Yes agree to the raisins being very high in sugar and sticking to teeth.
Sometimes you think, yes its fruit and its good for you but when you actuallt think about it its high.

My next door neighbour told me a few yrs ago that her son who is now 13yrs had terrible tooth decay due to baby juice she gave him instead of water when he was a baby....she didnt realise that it was so bad, she thought because it was for babies it was good for him.

The dentist who is sorting out my dd teeth (she has 4 with no enamel) said that he sees a lot of toddlers with terrible teeth due to Mums giving them baby bottles of squash and juice instead of water.

Becky x

charleyfarley
10-11-2011, 12:17 PM
I was told to give any dried fruit such as raisins, apricots etc at meal times because of the sugar content and not to give them as snacks.

Carol xx

The Juggler
10-11-2011, 12:32 PM
i have heard this, they do really stick to the teeth hon. rather than be brushing teeth all the time, I'd stick to bananas etc.:panic:

Cinderbella
10-11-2011, 12:58 PM
I have never even thought of this, and often top up snacks with raisens.... I have them in my handbag for when we're out and about incase the children get hungry, will have to find an alternative xxx

mandy moo
10-11-2011, 02:02 PM
Are bananas and grapes not high in suger too tho?

jumping j
10-11-2011, 02:10 PM
On a routine check up my dentist asked how much tea, coffee, juice and red wine I drink, my answer was none, I only drink water and occasionally cranberry juice.
He then said well you must snack on a lot of sugary drinks and swwets, no, I don't particularly like them.
He then went on to ask what I do snack on, fruit!
He also said it was as bad as having a mars bar as a snack, and that was on adult teeth. It hasn't stopped me though, i prefer a healthy diet to snacking on crisps and chocolate and I still give the children fruit for snack time, but they also all have a tooth brush so that they can brush their teeth regularly!!!

keeks
10-11-2011, 02:16 PM
Our dentist told me many years ago that it is better for your teeth to give a piece of chocolate than raisins. However, she also said that there is more nutrition in raisins, so use common sense and give occasionally if you want to. Good dental hygiene is the most important thing though.

xx

Polly2
10-11-2011, 03:43 PM
Are bananas and grapes not high in suger too tho?

Yes but not as sticky.

Jiorjiina
10-11-2011, 04:37 PM
All fruit is high in sugar, but it is a type of sugar that breaks down very quickly into energy for use by the body, so it gets used up quite soon after eating.