PDA

View Full Version : Troublesome payments and non attendance (this is a long one)

Linzi
15-05-2008, 09:18 PM
Hi,

I am new here and hope someone will be able to help. I have been registered as a childminder for some time but have only just started minding full time.

I recently took on 2 boys (brothers) 14 months and 3 yrs and the first 2 days i had them everything seemed fine i have the 14 month old 8am - 4pm and the 3yr old 8am-12.30pm then take him to nursery and then have him 3-4pm.

On the first 2 days they were collected 1hr and 15 mins late so i charged the mother for this and she was fine with it. She was due to pay me on the friday evening but sent me a text saying she didn't have the money and would pay on monday. She didn't pay me until 9 days later and the boys didn't attend. The came again on monday 8th may but i received a call from there mother at lunch time to say that there grandmother would collect the 14 month old at 2.30 and the 3yr old from nursery. I then got a call from her monday night to say the boys wouldn't be attending till the following week. I informe her that she would have to pay me full pay for the monday as she had let me know at short notice that they were being collected early and that she would have to pay me half pay for the rest of the week due to non attendance. Again she said she would come and pay on the friday and i still have not been paid. Then this week my daughter had to go to hosptial on monday which i had informed her of when we signed the contracts so i have not asked for payment for this day. She brought the boys on tuesday am and i informed her that i had been unwell and booked a docs appointment for tuesday pm as this was the only appointment i could get and asked if the 14 months old could be collected at 12.30 she said this was fine. There grandmother turned up at 10.30 am for them and gave me some verbal about messing her about and i informed her that i wasnt expecting them to be collected till 12.30.

She has not brought the boys for the rest of this week and i have still not recieved any payment from her. I received a call from the mother tonight informing me that she was not going to bring the boys again and that she isonly prepared to pay me £125. My rates are 3.50 per hour for the full time child and £3.00 per hour for the 2nd child. I have worked out that she owes me £150 and i also feel that she should pay something for the next 2 weeks as she is not fufilling the notice period of the contract.

Please could someone advise me where i stand on this.

Many Thanks

Linzi

Trouble
15-05-2008, 09:21 PM
i would get in touch with the ncma

or someone more experience will come a long and help

good luck thou

Rach30
15-05-2008, 09:24 PM
what a damn cheek !! :angry: i would contact NCMA or maybe your development officer. Have a nasty feeling you wont get anymore money of her tho :mad: On the bright side at least you can end the contract and hopefully get some better mindees/parents. Hope it all goes ok for you .

Pipsqueak
15-05-2008, 09:25 PM
If she has signed the contract then she is liable for the hours of non-attendance at whatever you stated.

What is your notice period? 2/4 weeks - whatever it is she has to either give you proper notice or pay you in lieu. She should also be informing you in writing of intention to terminate the contract - according to NCMA contracts we cannot accept verbal intentions.

Get onto NCMA - they will advise you to write to the parents. Deal with it hard and fast

Trouble
15-05-2008, 09:26 PM
if their in their settling in period you can terminate straight away but it still leaves the question of money

Linzi
15-05-2008, 09:50 PM
Hi,

Thank you all for replying. We did organise a settling in period for 2 weeks at the start of April (2 hrs 5 morning per week) which the boys did not attend. I had my doubts with them not turning up for the settling in period and i spoke to the mother about this and she said that it was that she had difficulty arranging someone to collect them as she had already started her job.

I asked for 4 weeks notice of termination of the contract but she asked if we could make it 2 weeks and i said that i would do that. But the contract does still state 4 weeks.

I have felt so messed about tho and I haven't had this problem before. I look after another child before and after school and have done so for some time now and have never had a single problem.

Trouble
15-05-2008, 09:54 PM
i would do what the others have said so you know what to say when you tell her

good luck

Pipsqueak
15-05-2008, 10:06 PM
Hi,

Thank you all for replying. We did organise a settling in period for 2 weeks at the start of April (2 hrs 5 morning per week) which the boys did not attend. I had my doubts with them not turning up for the settling in period and i spoke to the mother about this and she said that it was that she had difficulty arranging someone to collect them as she had already started her job.

I asked for 4 weeks notice of termination of the contract but she asked if we could make it 2 weeks and i said that i would do that. But the contract does still state 4 weeks.

I have felt so messed about tho and I haven't had this problem before. I look after another child before and after school and have done so for some time now and have never had a single problem.

Go with your gut feeling and after that 2wk settling in period (no show) you should have said bye bye (ain't hindsight good) but you are now into the full contract obviously.

Blaze
15-05-2008, 11:23 PM
I would take the £125...then get the NCMA involved!:)

cherryt
15-05-2008, 11:31 PM
can I just say this, I think the parent has taken your ofsted number to get the family tax credits and will be using her mother or a family friend to look after the children, it happened to me once a few years ago.

Get in touch with ncma and also the family tax credits too because she is claiming against your registration number.

sarah707
16-05-2008, 06:56 AM
Cherryt has made a very good point there... unfortunately it is hard to report people because of confidentiality, but it's worth a try!

Contact them through this link here -

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/individuals/tmatax-credits.shtml

It's awful to be messed around like that - it sounds like she just needed some part time childcare and grandma has decided she can fill in and do it...

I hope you get some money back - definitely worth ringing your insurers.

Good luck :D

angeldelight
16-05-2008, 07:32 AM
Sorry you have been messed around like this

I would do what everyone else suggests here

Just wanted to say good luck and hope you are ok

Angel xx

archie_fields
16-05-2008, 10:45 AM
Been thinking about this overnight. Personally I'd take the £125 and forget about the other £25. The chances are if you push for the full amount you won't get anything and £125 is better than nothing.

I'd also try and see what you can do with CTC (or maybe the NCMA would be able to help) - my cousin did exactly the same as has been suggested above. Unfortunately for her I made a phonecall to the benefits fraud department and it got passed to the CTC. A letter was written to the childminder asking her to confirm the children on her books and she obviously didn't know anything about my cousins daughter as she hadn't looked after her for some 9 months. My cousin was claiming child care costs and getting her mum to look after her little girl.

Good luck.

Linzi
16-05-2008, 07:30 PM
Hi all,

Thanks for all the advice given.

The mother got into saying she would come and pay after work today but she hasn't been or contacted me since.

I have spoken to the NCMA today and they have said that what I have asked for as payment it well below what i am entitled to recieve from her as I could have asked for full fees when the boys didn't attend as there wasn't a specified reason, also they said that I should ask her to pay at least 2 weeks retainer for the non attendance during the notice period and that if she doesn't pay to ring them again and they can advise me further as to taking legal action.

I have also discussed this with my husband and he has also suggested that i contact the benefit fraud office and tax credits and inform them of the situation.

I will give her a chance to come over the weekend to pay but if she doesn't come I will be on the phone monday morning and hopefully I can get this hole mess sorted out.

Pudding Girl
16-05-2008, 07:47 PM
I'd be inclined to forgo the £25 and accept the £125 and just get rid quicker. A lot of hassle for just an extra £25 to be chasing and taking her to court if need be etc etc

HilaryT
16-05-2008, 08:24 PM
Poor you! It's every childminder's nightmare - non-payment, bad feeling and being used.

I think you need to decide what's in your best long-term outcome - do you feel so strongly on principle that you are going to fight this all the way to the courts? (with all the stress, visits to courts, paperwork, etc.) or would you prefer to cut your losses and get some of your money owed. That is your decision, and it's not an easy one. I think I might be tempted to take the money, but at the end of the day, I'm not the one who's been used and abused!

Good luck and I hope you get things sorted out to your satisfaction

Hilary

ChocolateChip
17-05-2008, 10:17 PM
Hope you get it sorted out Linzi, if you feel you want to fight your corner the small claims courts aren't too bad, and it might make this woman think twice about ripping someone else off!

Good luck, whatever you decide to do! :)

angeldelight
18-05-2008, 03:44 PM
Hope you get it sorted out

Keep us updated

Angel xx

kellsbells
18-05-2008, 06:09 PM
Hi Linzi, Hope you get it sorted! x

ajs
18-05-2008, 06:37 PM
i think you've got all of the advice you need but i just wanted to wish you luck for tomorrow.

ruby
18-05-2008, 07:08 PM
can't thnk of anything to add just wanted to say good luck for tomorrow

cathy

breezy
18-05-2008, 07:22 PM
Good luck hun :)

Linzi
19-05-2008, 10:12 AM
Hi all,

Well i have had no payment or contact from the family so i have prepared a letter and an inovice with full breakdown of the fees owed to me.

I am going to deliver the letter by hand this afternoon giving her until friday to make the payment and then if i hear nothin from her I will contact the NCMA again to get further legal adivce.

I think what has also upset me is that i used to only childmind before and after school and had a part time job working for the NHS which i had to give up to look after these boys so I have lost a regular income too. I rang the NHS today and my old job has been filled now but they have put me forward for a different position that is still part time, so i have my fingers crossed and think i will stick to childminding before and after school

Will keep you all posted with what happens, thank you all for you support it has been much apprieciated.

Linzi

Pipsqueak
19-05-2008, 10:13 AM
Linzi make sure you keep photocopies of the (signed) letters you deliver/send.

angeldelight
19-05-2008, 10:15 AM
Good luck hope the letter works and hope you get a new part time job to make up your income again

Angel xx

Blaze
19-05-2008, 11:02 AM
Good luck hope the letter works and hope you get a new part time job to make up your income again

Angel xx

Same!:) :thumbsup:

Mrs M
19-05-2008, 11:53 AM
You poor thing. Just wanted to let you know I'm thinking of you and I hope it all turns out ok in the end. If you want to fight then fight but if you don't then just move on and insist on payment up front in future.
Take care love x

caza
19-05-2008, 04:24 PM
Just wanted to say good luck and really hope you get everything sorted out very soon :thumbsup:

Caroline

Linzi
19-05-2008, 07:10 PM
Well she has recieved the letter and called me tonight......

A cheque is in the post which i am pleased about but she doesn't want to leave it at that, she has written a formal complaint to ofsted because she is now saying that i have inappropriate toys for her children. I have 2 children of my own age 2 and 7 yrs so have a wide variety of toys ranging from birth to 7 yrs for both boys and girls. Ofsted inspected me in september last year and they were very happy with my provisions. I am unable to use my garden at the moment as the patio is unsafe and i also have steep steps leading to the garden area, therefore we are having some decking built with a slope to the garden area and also so less steep steps. Ofsted have said that i am right not to use the garden and as i offered alternatives of toddler groups and trips to the park this was a sufficient alternative.

So the saga goes on i am awaiting a call from the inspector as ofsted have informed me that they re-inspect when a complaint has been recieved.

I can't believe she is causing me all this trouble over a non payment issue but i suppose that some people are just like that.:rolleyes:

Pipsqueak
19-05-2008, 07:54 PM
I am sure Ofsted will see this for it really is - a malicious complaint.

You have not received any complaint from her prior regarding toys (I presume) and she has paid you so that will go against her. You don't pay for something if you are not happy with it.

Try not to worry Linzi, get all your paperwork in order, answer any questions openly and honestly and you will be fine. They might not necessarily reinpsect - they might just send you a letter asking you some questions.

What a cow though - some people.

Pudding Girl
19-05-2008, 07:58 PM
:mad: some poeple just like to cause trouble - hope youa re ok x

wendywu
19-05-2008, 09:02 PM
Hope she rots in hell :angry: in the nicest possible way:censored:

Pipsqueak
19-05-2008, 09:16 PM
Hope she rots in hell :angry: in the nicest possible way:censored:

:laughing: :laughing: Well said Wendy!! I so hope you'd be on my side in a fight!!! lol

sue32
22-05-2008, 09:13 PM
Have you got the cheque yet or is this another fob off. I would talk to tax credits people because she sounds like she is claiming and now getting her Mum to do the childminding. Her saying about ofsted and toys is a load of rubbish as you can tell them that the parent has not paid you and is looking for excuses to do so, Hope you have got sorted

angeldelight
22-05-2008, 09:48 PM
Hope you received the cheque

The parent sounds like she is suffering from sour grapes

Cant believe some of these parents complaining like they do

Hope it all works out for you but you sound like you have everything covered

Good luck

Angel xx

Linzi
25-05-2008, 03:25 PM
Hi Guys,

I haven't been on for a while my daughter has been poorly :( and forgot to update you all :o

I didn't get the cheque so i contacted her by text as she requested me to do if i didn't recieve it, and she said that she had stopped the cheque as she was taking legal advice. I replied saying that was fine as i had already contacted my solicitor and that they would be in touch soon. (I have rung the NCMA and they are sending out all the legal forms for me to fill in). Anyway 5 minutes later gets another text saying her mum would be round with a cheque, low and behold her mum turned up that very afternoon with a cheque for £150 couldn't belive it. :laughing:

I have deposited the cheque in my account but waiting for it to clear, hopefully this will be the end of it all and i wont need to take further action against her.

Oh and ofted have been intouch they have asked me to confirm in writing the works being carried on on my garden so that they can put it on my notes other than that they are still very happy with me and the toys that i have for all children.

Thank you all for your support and well wishes it has been much appreciated :D

mum22
25-05-2008, 03:29 PM
Hi Linzi

Good on you - good result! now you can enjoy your bank holiday !!:clapping:

helen

miffy
25-05-2008, 08:32 PM
Well done Linzi - looks like you're sorted now

Hope the cheque clears OK

Sorry your dd's been poorly - hope she's on the mend now

miffy xx

angeldelight
25-05-2008, 08:41 PM
Thats great news Linzi

Hope the cheque clears let us know

Hope your daughter is ok now ?

Angel xx

Lou
25-05-2008, 08:45 PM
Fingers crossed that the cheque clears!!!!

Is your daughter ok??

emler
25-05-2008, 08:54 PM
Glad to hear you got the cheque :clapping: Fingers crossed it does clear. Hope your daughter is ok now

Emler x

Donkey
25-05-2008, 09:03 PM
I hope it clears for you :)

Gherkin
25-05-2008, 09:45 PM
Hope your cheque clears and you get no more hassle from this parent.

breezy
26-05-2008, 02:59 PM
hope the cheque clears and that this is the end of all the hassle.
hope your daughter is ok too

Chimps Childminding
26-05-2008, 05:10 PM
Hi Linzi - hope your daughter is feeling better and I hope your cheque clears ok!!!!!!! then just be glad to be rid of them :thumbsup: