PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed-charging while at preschool?

mummyspice
15-05-2008, 08:54 PM
Hi All, Sorry not been on for a while-not enough hours in the day lol
I have a dilemma which has upset me all day.:panic:
Gave parents first invoice the other day, charging full fees for when child is at nursery. She came this morning, not at all happy, saying she didn't want to pay for 2 lots of childcare(we are talking 3 hrs a week!!!)
I immediately apologised, just said that that was what most childminders did (imo) and agreed to amend invoice. Just wondering what your thoughts were???
Many thanks, Lisa x

Trouble
15-05-2008, 08:55 PM
sorry but i need to know this too

sorry mummyspice to pinch your thread

i dont think parents like paying full stop

Wendy Woo
15-05-2008, 08:57 PM
you should charge because at the end of the day you cant get another child to fill those 3hrs a week and its not your choice the child goes to nursery!!! They cant expect u to go without. I charge while my mindee is at pre school and i will do for any future ones.
Parents who needs em really. it would be so much simpler with just the children!!!!

berkschick
15-05-2008, 08:59 PM
It is in my policies and written into every contract that full fees apply if I am taking and collecting the child from pre-school or nursery.

You can not fill the place with another child for such a short time.

Trouble
15-05-2008, 09:00 PM
someone told me if they expent you to take them and pick them up full price
but if they are willing to take them and be cover for while they are their and you pick them up 1/2 fee

not sure?

carolinel
15-05-2008, 09:00 PM
You know my thoughts!!! CHARGE HER!

xx

littletreasures
15-05-2008, 09:01 PM
I charge especially if you are taking and collecting the child. You can't fill that space. It probably won't be for long that they have to pay out for 2 lots of childcare anyway as once they are 3 preschool will be paid for.

My parent's have never queried it.

Stick to your guns and just explain that you are taking and collecting and will be responsible for the child.

littletreasures

berkschick
15-05-2008, 09:03 PM
Im not sure if you are not taking them.

That would be differant I think.

None of mine are at pre-school yet but one parent asked when she signed up and I told her it would be full fees as I couldnt afford to half my earnings when G starts pre-school.

wendywu
15-05-2008, 09:05 PM
Sorry but its standard practice most of us do it. My motto is, if you cant afford kids dont have them....end of story.

Sorry i know its easy to be flippant when you live in a part of the country where work is plentyful, but if its in the contract she signed tough. Stick to your guns. :angry:

mum22
15-05-2008, 09:06 PM
I charge for pre-schoolers as i have only 1 vacancy under 3 - you prob wont be able to fill that space anyway. charge!;)

Helen

mummyspice
15-05-2008, 09:09 PM
wow, can't believe how quick you ladies reply-you're super!
My problem is that i'm a walkover, have already said I won't charge.(I cried as she left this morning:blush:
It is actually about 3 miles away, so my hubby said to tell her i'll charge from leaving the house to take/pick up and also 40p/mile. Don't think I can bring myself to tell her though!
really p's me off, I give 110% to her kids, treat them like my own and she knows it:angry:

Noodles
15-05-2008, 09:09 PM
I charge full fees. I take child and mum picks up but she wants me to have her full time in holidays so have to keep place open for her:)

wendywu
15-05-2008, 09:14 PM
Tell her your very sorry but you have been in touch with the NCMA and they advise that as you cannot fill the place you should charge for the time. Of course if SHE can find another mother who can Place Share (like job share) with her then you wont charge her. Sorted.

Im sorry but i could not work for a parent like that, i would be back on the list, fill the space and then give her notice. :angry:

Trouble
15-05-2008, 09:18 PM
My problem is that i'm a walkover, have already said I won't charge.(I cried as she left this morning:blush:
It is actually about 3 miles away, so my hubby said to tell her i'll charge from leaving the house to take/pick up and also 40p/mile. Don't think I can bring myself to tell her though!
really p's me off, I give 110% to her kids, treat them like my own and she knows it:angry:

time to get tough

i was the same as you but people have walked alover me so many time i got mad take all that upset and turn it into anger and just say im sorry but i cannot fill the space so its full fee plus 40permile their and back if you want me to have her or something to that effect probably not well put but someone better at it will re type it for me

Pipsqueak
15-05-2008, 09:32 PM
Tough up and don't apologise for your rules your business Spice.

Did you discuss this and is it in the contract?

I charge half fee while at nursery if I take and bring back. I can't fill that space 2.5hrs so therefore they pay.

If they are at nursery the free places then they aren't paying twice.

You set your rules and fees and if they don't like it they can go elsewhere - I would have said 99% of minders will charge for that time.

Pipsqueak
15-05-2008, 09:35 PM

YES YES YES you CAN do it.

Give her whatever notice period of change of policies/fees and tell her this is the new fees I will be implementing in 2/4 weeks time and the contracts will be amended accordingly. If she kicks up and chooses not to take the new contract YOU are offering then she can give you notice and work the notice period out - in which time you can be advertising your space.

Don't allow yourself to be pushed around by these parents - they couldn't dictate terms to a nursery so why should they to you:angry:

Rubybubbles
15-05-2008, 09:37 PM
I'm the same as vik and charge 1/2 fee whilst they are there (only done this since coming on here:o )

If I had to drive out then full fees! sorry but I am not a taxi service, no sir

Trouble
15-05-2008, 09:39 PM
and if they didnt turn up in a nursery not only would they loose their place but they would have to pay

told you some one would help out with the words
im not very polite with parents so i have to reprase things
hubbys orders but i smile well
:laughing:

Rubybubbles
15-05-2008, 09:40 PM
and if they didnt turn up in a nursery not only would they loose their place but they would have to pay

told you some one would help out with the words
im not very polite with parents so i have to reprase things
hubbys orders but i smile well
:laughing:

I can't imagine that, you nothing but polite on here hun:D

chez1373
15-05-2008, 09:40 PM
I think im in same situation i am to start taking and picking up 2hrs later i havent charged her for the 2hrs
I hope you sort it with the mum its not nice when they make demands on you like that good luck and let us know what you decide to do i might speak to mum and tell her i need to charge her.??

Trouble
15-05-2008, 09:42 PM
I can't imagine that, you nothing but polite on here hun:D

i speak then think when people get me mad

i like to think in polite not;)

Rubybubbles
15-05-2008, 09:43 PM
i speak then think when people get me mad

i like to think in polite not;)

ohhhh sounds like me:p

I had a huge fall out with my mum last week cos I couldn't hold my tongue:D oh well it needed to be said

angeldelight
15-05-2008, 09:45 PM
HI Lisa

I have been there and been soft - but learnt from it

I always charge full fees now when children are at nursery / preschool
They are after all taking up a place

I dont think you should have been saying sorry to this parent and I think deep down you know this too

YOU make the rules NOT the parents

Did she agree to pay you anyway when she signed the contract ? If so tell her they are your rules !!!!

Hope you sort it out

Good luck

Angel xx

miffy
15-05-2008, 09:46 PM
Sorry this parent is trying it on

You should charge in full whilst the child is at playgroup because you can't fill the space whilst he/she is there and you are limited to the number of children you can care for.

This should have been sorted when you did the contract but it's easy to make mistakes (I've made plenty and had to get tough) so you need to give her notice that you intend to review the contract and then add in that she must pay whilst child is at playgroup.

As pip said the playgroup place will eventually be free so she won't be paying twice but for now it is her choice to send her child there and she shouldn't expect you to lose out

miffy xx

Trouble
15-05-2008, 09:48 PM
you and i are alike
i fell out with my mum a while ago and she told me unless i apologise for whatever reason she would no long be my mother(like she ever was)

i said to be a mother is a gift which she didnt deserve and said bye then and put the phone down

2 weeks later she rang me and i put the phone down but she keep ringing
now i give her the time of day and nothing else:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

she shouldnt treat me so:censored: and i will treat her better

sorry if this offends anyone:blush:

Rubybubbles
15-05-2008, 09:50 PM
you and i are alike
i fell out with my mum a while ago and she told me unless i apologise for whatever reason she would no long be my mother(like she ever was)

i said to be a mother is a gift which she didnt deserve and said bye then and put the phone down

2 weeks later she rang me and i put the phone down but she keep ringing
now i give her the time of day and nothing else:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

she shouldnt treat me so:censored: and i will treat her better

sorry if this offends anyone:blush:

honestly it's getting close to that! My little sister is getting married and she's brideszilla (that right?) and mum has gone power crazy:laughing: :laughing: I told her some home truths on it:o

mummyspice
15-05-2008, 09:50 PM
Thanks again.
I haven't got round to updating contracts yet(had elder one since 6 months old and now have sibling)-so we didn't discuss it then.
Going to have a good sort out/print out tomorrow, is she going to like it when I tell her she's got to pay when she's on hols and i'm not?!?
Feel sick already, lol
Lisa x:panic:

Trouble
15-05-2008, 09:52 PM
take lots of deep breaths and you will be fine with the support of all these childminder behind you

let us know how you get on.

carolinel
15-05-2008, 09:55 PM
good for you Rascal, wish I was as brave!!

I've never got on with my Mum, (I am adopted, Sister isn't -blatant favouritsm) I started being ill in January, 2 weeks later she booked a holiday to Goa-actually said goodbye to me whilst I was in hospital hooked up to monitors. said she booked it as we thought it was panic attacks - I said No- you thought it was panic attacks I just knew it wasn't.

Then when I came back from seeing consultant few weeks ago she asked me when I would be having operation as she wanted to book another holiday!
I couldn't believe it - her daughter needs a heart op and all she's worried about is when she can book holiday. I told her today when it is and she said, oh I'm glad it's not on a monday or tuesday. (she works mon and tue and I need her to have kids)
She came over today and spent less than an hour with kids, I just know she will be going over to my sisters tomorrow and spend the whole day with her, as she does most fridays.

Well I could go on and on but I wont!!

Pipsqueak
15-05-2008, 09:57 PM
Thanks again.
I haven't got round to updating contracts yet(had elder one since 6 months old and now have sibling)-so we didn't discuss it then.
Going to have a good sort out/print out tomorrow, is she going to like it when I tell her she's got to pay when she's on hols and i'm not?!?
Feel sick already, lol
Lisa x:panic:

Don't panic Spice - your rules your business if she don't like it tough

The hols bit is pretty standard anyway - the majority of us charge for parents and not hours. Sounds like she has had a great deal from you in the past - you just need to present it in the way that she will still be getting a great deal and you will be too!!!:D

Love your avatar by the way:D

Trouble
15-05-2008, 09:58 PM
some mothers dont deserve the title

bring you kids here ill have them

i think you get to a point where i have no respect for her and never will

she isnt always right and a liar and i dont like her and she hates that fact that i dont need her and never will

good luck with your op

wendywu
15-05-2008, 09:58 PM
Lisa tell her "feel free to ask other minders or phone the NCMA if you feel that i am conducting my business in an unfair manner" (NOT)

Give her my number, i will put her on the right track.:angry:

Oh and what about inset days i expect she will want you to have the child then, or if she is under the weather and a bit too fragile to go to nursery. I bet you would have her then as well.:panic:

miffy
15-05-2008, 10:03 PM
Good luck Lisa - hope you get it sorted

Be brave :)

miffy xx

manjay
15-05-2008, 10:18 PM
I agree! Be brave! Once a parent knows you will back down if they question something they will try it all the more. I always find it is hardest the first time you have to stick to your guns but it does tend to get easier.

I too would charge while at nursery. I have a 3 year old who comes to me at 8.30. i take him to playgroup at 9.15, has lunch there and then goes straight into the school nursery. i pick him up at 3.15. I charge 50% for the time he is not with me as he is taking up one of my valuable under 5 spaces and I am needed to look afer him in hols and if playgroup is closed. I would charge full if child just going to nursery and I was taking and picking up

amanda xx

cherryt
15-05-2008, 10:50 PM
I have read through the relevant posts and wanted to add my bit too.

I have in the past charged 1/2 fees for children at pre-school but after the time involved taking and collecting and also having to be available for school holiday cover I made a ruling. 52 week full fee regardless of where the child was unless I was unable to provide a service.

I have a mindee who is at pre-school 2 mornings a week 9.30 - 12.00 and it is in the families catchment area not mine so I have to drive, therefore add 15 mins each end to that and yes it is inconvenient for me and the other children I look after.

If a parent respects and trusts you enough to look after their child then they should respect you enough not to penny pinch at the end of the month.

wendywu
15-05-2008, 11:22 PM
If a parent respects and trusts you enough to look after their child then they should respect you enough not to penny pinch at the end of the month.[/QUOTE]

Here Here :clapping:

littlewonders
16-05-2008, 05:29 AM
I have read through the relevant posts and wanted to add my bit too.

I have in the past charged 1/2 fees for children at pre-school but after the time involved taking and collecting and also having to be available for school holiday cover I made a ruling. 52 week full fee regardless of where the child was unless I was unable to provide a service.

I have a mindee who is at pre-school 2 mornings a week 9.30 - 12.00 and it is in the families catchment area not mine so I have to drive, therefore add 15 mins each end to that and yes it is inconvenient for me and the other children I look after.

If a parent respects and trusts you enough to look after their child then they should respect you enough not to penny pinch at the end of the month.

I agree with this, especially when the parents receive tax credits - paid 52 weeks of the year.
There has been some fab advice, I hope you find the confidence to speak up for you and your business....but I understand, I am exactly the same and I have already backed down to parents demands upon enquiries!!!
I think I will follow some advice here lol :blush:

SimplyLucy
16-05-2008, 06:02 AM
I now charge full fee for the time a child is at preschool.

However I didn't for my first term...........it never crossed my mind. Fortunatly it was only for one child and when she wanted to adjust hours to include more playgroup sessions the following term I took the chance to ammend the contract so she had to pay whilst he was at preschool.

All of a sudden she decided that on the 2 afternoons that he goes, she'd be able to collect!

I'm still up money wise on the term before though! :)

Stick to your guns, and just keep telling yourself "my bussiness, my rules"

christine e
16-05-2008, 06:58 AM
Hi
I charge full fee, remember when it is school holidays they will need you to have them the extra hours, I once knew someone who charged the full fee and extra to cover mileage!!!! Point that one out to her. In my experience if you back down over this something else will come up you have to be firm and stand your ground otherwise they will walk all over you. Take a deep breath and be confident.

Good luck
Christine

kiddiwinks
16-05-2008, 09:59 AM
Inthe ncma booklet it gives you samples and it does say that you can charge full fee if taking a child to pre school, and you will be on call for them to pick up or ill e.t.c or in school holidays.

I have just had a little girl start pre school on afternoons and i charge the parents the normal weekly fee that they were paying before she started as she will be starting morning pre school prob January 2009, then school Sep 2009 but will still be reqired to have her in school holidays. If i did not charge this fee i would be losing out.
Even when she starts school i will still have to put charge on as cant often just fill term time. Does any one else charge for this, and what charge.

The Parents have been fine doing this, i do know that she talks to other parents who have children with childminders.

I did make an error when i took child on, when the parent came to me to see about child places she was 6 months pregnant and wanted 5 days 7.30 till 4 when the child would be 10 weeks old. I had never taken child on that young and for so many hours a week so when it came to holidays i said that i would charge 1/4 for thers and a 1/4 for mine as i felt a bit guilty for taking £65 a week for holiday of 1 child.
A couple of weeks after the baby Started they gave me the holidays and there were 9 weeks holiday for the year so i lost out big time when she was off. They have since had another baby which i have taken on from 10 weeks and they gave me the holidays for this year in Jan and there are 13 weeks of. So i am losing a couple of thousand this year for there hols as they pay me just £60 for both of them to have a weeks holiday. (i usually get £240 a week for them so big big drop.)

She even asked me for discount for the new child as i will be having 2 for them

tulip0803
16-05-2008, 10:36 AM
I have always charged if I am expected to drop off and pick up and also if during school holidays they want those 3 hours, they have to pay for them. They are not paying for you to work they are paying for a child-care space and whether they choose to use that space or not if it is in contracted hours they should pay the fee.

yummymummy
16-05-2008, 12:24 PM
I think parents today have it so good compared to parents when I started minding and it makes them very greedy! (In my ten years my fees have hardly gone up too!)
Funding for pre school did not exist, tax credits did not exist, childcare vouchers did not exist and yet I found less parents moaned about costs than today!!!!!
Some of my parents claim all three of the above and STILL moan!!!!:angry:
You are enabling the child to go to the nursery of the parents choice whilst still being cared for in a home environment. Maybe you could give this example to the mum, would she be happy if she went to work and they told her they didn't need her for 2 1/2 in the day and that they wouldn't pay her but she would be required to stay around just in case and then carry on her working day afterwards?!!!!
Try to think of it like that if you can, I have always found that parents like this try it on to make you feel bad but when you stand your ground and think they may go elsewhere they don't as they KNOW they are trying it on and other childminders will charge the same!!!
Try to be strong and don't let her walk all over you! (very hard I know!);)

NikNak
16-05-2008, 01:19 PM
Be firm and to the point. Put on your business hat. Use words like Ofsted and ncma when you tell her your updates. Write them down/type the points you need to tell her in a news letter.

Remind her this is your business and you follow the national guidlines set for childminders etc with regards to fees and charges. Hand it to her and say oh just to let you know I have had some thought about........................ and have taken on board what you have said but have decided to update some aspects of your business, say to her why dont you take this home and have a think about it and you can let me know tommorrow if you would still like me to care for your child. Then usher her out the door!

Thats what I would do anyway!

Good luck, be strong.x

wendywu
16-05-2008, 05:06 PM
Dont forget to give her a quick kick up the back side as you usher her out the door :laughing:

manjay
16-05-2008, 06:53 PM
Dont forget to give her a quick kick up the back side as you usher her out the door :laughing:

You are so my kind of childminder Wendy:thumbsup:

amanda xx

wendywu
16-05-2008, 07:41 PM
Dont get me wrong Amanda i will help anyone out. I dont charge extra if they turn up the odd 20 min late due to traffic or trains being held up i am very easy going.

But it really gets my goat if people start quibbling about money especially when it is pennies. :angry: The trouble with me is if anyone does this to me then i would want them gone and SOON. I find it very hard to be civil to someone when i know they are trying to have me over. :censored:

But i am very lucky with my parents i have some of them for 7 years and they are very trusting of my judgement and good to me :littleangel:

But i would love to be able to give this parent a piece of my mind:angry:

mummyspice
16-05-2008, 10:58 PM
Thanks so much for all your honest replies!
I think I will put this one down to experience, after all it's just 3 hrs a week. I have always been extremely flexible with her and am just so upset by it all. I will make sure I have a policy set for any future mindees and will definately become 'harder' in future;)
Lisa x

Chimps Childminding
17-05-2008, 03:08 PM
At present if a child goes to nursery/playschool I charge half - however I am going to revise this as after reading on here it is right that a child is still taking up a place whether they are at nursery or not, you cannot fill the time they are there, and they will need cover for the school holidays - so I am gonna get tough!!!!!!!!!! (well I'll try anyway :blush: )

casey's mum
17-05-2008, 04:20 PM
I have a lo who goes to pre school 12.45 till 3.10 mon - fri and I charge full price for that time as I take and collect her. It has never been questioned. Round here all the childminders follow this.

Angela xx

tulip0803
17-05-2008, 05:24 PM
At present if a child goes to nursery/playschool I charge half - however I am going to revise this as after reading on here it is right that a child is still taking up a place whether they are at nursery or not, you cannot fill the time they are there, and they will need cover for the school holidays - so I am gonna get tough!!!!!!!!!! (well I'll try anyway :blush: )

Go for it girl !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbsup: