PDA

View Full Version : Using a washing machine in minding hours

LittleVoice
09-11-2011, 10:43 AM
Just a quick question, my friend is currently doind her training to be a childminder. She has been told that if you have minded children in the house then you shouldnt use your washing machine/dryer/dishwasher.
Has anyone else heard this before? And is what she been told correct?

RainbowMum
09-11-2011, 10:47 AM
Absolute rot!! PArents choose a childminder for a homelike setting - I would ask for the reasoning behind such a statement and then challenge it! A lot of learning and development can take place if children are allowed to take part in household chores.

Pipsqueak
09-11-2011, 10:50 AM
What a crock of.................

I use my washer, dryer and dishwasher during working hours.
I am often washing and drying towels, rugs, t-towels, flannels, aprons and bibs that the kids have gotten mucky and then I dry them
I wash the cups and utensils the kids are using during the day
Oh and I do stick on a 'normal' household wash here and there - of course I do....

Housework is a life skill and we are in a unique position in which to encourage these life skills. Everything in moderation of course!

Whomever told your friend that obviously has no clue about minding, or is stuck up their own backside or just wants to try to sound grand! A minder works in their OWN home and they are SELF employed....

JCrakers
09-11-2011, 10:57 AM
Eh? What a load of rubbish :laughing:
What planet is she on. Ive got two children who need clean clothes/school uniform...and the majority of childminders have their own children.

My dishwasher goes on twice a day with all the plates mindees use....what a load of poop :D
And I always make sure there isnt a mindee inside before turning it on.....:laughing:

Becky x

Mouse
09-11-2011, 11:02 AM
I have always used my washing machine & tumble drier while I'm working. I'd never keep on top of my washing otherwise.

maryp0ppins
09-11-2011, 11:03 AM
What a crock of.................

I use my washer, dryer and dishwasher during working hours.
I am often washing and drying towels, rugs, t-towels, flannels, aprons and bibs that the kids have gotten mucky and then I dry them
I wash the cups and utensils the kids are using during the day
Oh and I do stick on a 'normal' household wash here and there - of course I do....

Housework is a life skill and we are in a unique position in which to encourage these life skills. Everything in moderation of course!

Whomever told your friend that obviously has no clue about minding, or is stuck up their own backside or just wants to try to sound grand! A minder works in their OWN home and they are SELF employed....

here here Just as pipsqueak said above....Mine is on as we speak & I have 3 with me + as well as reading up on the PC (have a L3 test next week) I am on here....
Everything in moderation & I think apart of everyday normal life IS a must.

Helen79
09-11-2011, 11:07 AM
when I worked in nurseries they always have the washing machine/dryer on for bedding, bibs etc. Staff go home at 6pm so have to get it all done while the children are there so no different to us having it on home. My hoover, washer and dryer is on every day when mindees are here, some children even find the sound soothing.
The only thing I got told by my DO was not to have my wet washing hanging on the radiators to dry when ofsted was here which is fair enough

Narnia34
09-11-2011, 11:09 AM
I was also told that I wasn't allowed to use any of these things when minding, can't remember the reasoning behind it because I was laughing too much! Might have had something to do with the chemicals you put into them, washing powder, dishwasher tablets etc???

As long as you RA it and check that no child has climbed into the machine before you use them, and make sure they aren't drinking the washing liquid (foaming at the mouth usually gives it away when they do :rolleyes: ) they can be great learning tools. Sorting coloured and white clothes, matching socks, life skills with the washing up etc etc.

I had an Ob in a LJ where we'd separated clothes to put them in the machine and Mrs O didn't bat an eyelid on my inspection. If you can't use them during working hours, when are you supposed to do all of this stuff? In the huge number of free hours you have in the evenings :rolleyes: ?

loocyloo
09-11-2011, 11:15 AM
LOL !!!

my washing machine is on, so is my dishwasher, and we've just put bread in the breadmaker! LO's are playing happily, whilst i am on here! we were looking at pictures of elephants and they are printing as i 'speak' !!!

i usually have an airer full of things drying in front of the aga.

LO love sweeping the floor after lunch & tea, another LO loves using the hoover and we often 'dust'!

AND we've all been out raking leaves in the garden and making big piles! ( ok, so we jumped in them, and spread them all out again, but the intention was there! LOL! )

Mouse
09-11-2011, 11:18 AM
At one time we were encouraged to let children help with household jobs and using the washing machine was one of those things we were told they should help with.

I don't let children sort dirty washing, but they watch while I fill the machine & put the powder in. They turn the dial & press the start button. When it's finished they help take the clean clothes out of the machine & put them in the drier. Then, when the clothes are dry, they help fold them & sort them into piles. There is so much learning going on all the time they're doing it.

catminder
09-11-2011, 11:20 AM
I often have my washing machine on when i'm minding. The children also help me peg it on the line and I teach them that it's a good thing to dry washing on the line if possible instead of the tumble dryer because it saves electricity. We have lots of discussions about whose clothes they are, bigger and smaller, colours, pairs of socks etc which are good learning opportunities as well.

ziggy
09-11-2011, 11:21 AM
had my tumble drier on at 9.05 as bottom of mindees joggers were wet from school run and he likes them warmed up in drier lol, he wont be happy if i refuse to do it:laughing:

LittleVoice
09-11-2011, 11:25 AM
Thank you ladies,
That was my respone to it as well. My argument to her was if you cant use any of those items then how can you use an oven to cook food as surely that was more dangerous.
She said someone had asked that and the trainer told them that they should encourage parents to bring their own food for their children as it was safer and promoted partnership working with parents. :eeeek:

What is this world coming too?!! :huh:

JCrakers
09-11-2011, 11:28 AM
Thank you ladies,
That was my respone to it as well. My argument to her was if you cant use any of those items then how can you use an oven to cook food as surely that was more dangerous.
She said someone had asked that and the trainer told them that they should encourage parents to bring their own food for their children as it was safer and promoted partnership working with parents. :eeeek:

Ooh I like that one...No more cooking..fantastic idea :D

rickysmiths
09-11-2011, 11:55 AM
Eh? What a load of rubbish :laughing:
What planet is she on. Ive got two children who need clean clothes/school uniform...and the majority of childminders have their own children.

My dishwasher goes on twice a day with all the plates mindees use....what a load of poop :D
And I always make sure there isnt a mindee inside before turning it on.....:laughing:

Becky x

I asume you have that as part of you Child Protection Policy? :laughing: :laughing:

rickysmiths
09-11-2011, 11:58 AM
I was also told that I wasn't allowed to use any of these things when minding, can't remember the reasoning behind it because I was laughing too much! Might have had something to do with the chemicals you put into them, washing powder, dishwasher tablets etc???

As long as you RA it and check that no child has climbed into the machine before you use them, and make sure they aren't drinking the washing liquid (foaming at the mouth usually gives it away when they do :rolleyes: ) they can be great learning tools. Sorting coloured and white clothes, matching socks, life skills with the washing up etc etc.

I had an Ob in a LJ where we'd separated clothes to put them in the machine and Mrs O didn't bat an eyelid on my inspection. If you can't use them during working hours, when are you supposed to do all of this stuff? In the huge number of free hours you have in the evenings :rolleyes: ?

We don't have any of those, toooo much paperwork and training to do! :laughing:

AliceK
09-11-2011, 11:58 AM
Thank you ladies,

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Well Ofsted better de-register me pronto then because I use my washing machine most days and my tumble dryer and my dishwasher probably 2 /3 times a day AND I COOK FOR MY MINDEES :eek: . I am a bad bad childminder :laughing:

xxxxx

Beetlejuice
09-11-2011, 12:00 PM
I've done a load of washing and just put it in the tumble drier now. Mindee is asleep upstairs and I'm catching up on paperwork (and sneaking in here!)

I remember an ofsted inspector telling a childminder she shouldn't use her hoover during working hours - which I found odd especially when children make a mess with their food at lunchtime. I certainly couldn't leave manky food and crumbs all over the floor :eek:

rickysmiths
09-11-2011, 12:07 PM
Thank you ladies,

Oh my parents would love that!! They are far too busy to cook for their children in the week, they are working all day :D

There are some people around that clearly have no idea what a childminder does.

I do my washing, just about to go and get some out and put another load in. In the good weather it goes on the washing line today it will go on airers in the downstairs shower room.

The dishwasher will go on after lunch and the children will tell me where to put their plates and cups!

I have popped on here for a few mins before I get two children up, the third has been playing happily in the playroom just behind me for 30mins. The imagination and language as he talks to himself as he plays and the story telling has been a joy to listen to. One ace observation for his LJ :thumbsup:

LChurch
09-11-2011, 12:09 PM
I vaguely remember in my training the instructor said that too, but we just wouldn't have enough time in the day. I do try and make sure I don't have too much in the living room but that is the only place to dry them in this weather! They enjoy saying thats J or L's or bib or whatever. I have gate to my kitchen so they can't get in to where the dishwasher and washing machine are.

jumping j
09-11-2011, 12:11 PM
I did my IHP training exactly a year ago and we were told that we musn't use the washing machine etc. while preparing food but otherwise it was fine and if we could involve children and link it to the EYFS even better!!!
I'm in bbig trouble if we're not allowed!!!:eek:

nic t
09-11-2011, 12:11 PM
I'm pretty sure that I have read somewhere that if your washing machine is in your kitchen then you are not supposed to put a wash on during minded hours because of contamination of the food stuff.

Not sure where I heard it though, I might have made it up!!! :laughing:

kellib
09-11-2011, 12:15 PM
I wasn't told anything about washing machines, maybe it didn't occur to the woman though as mine is hidden behind a cupboard like door ;)

She did tell me that I shouldn't have toothbrushes in the bathroom though, not quite sure where she wanted me to put them! :rolleyes:

JCrakers
09-11-2011, 12:23 PM
I asume you have that as part of you Child Protection Policy? :laughing: :laughing:

Yes its in the parents handout :D

I will ensure all children are kept safe by ensuring they are not in the dishwasher before I turn it on' :laughing:
As well as...Children WILL NOT be allowed to play in the dishwasher. If you do allow them to at home, I am sorry but it dosent happen here!!

ooh I might put that in my SEF

Mouse
09-11-2011, 12:26 PM
I'm pretty sure that I have read somewhere that if your washing machine is in your kitchen then you are not supposed to put a wash on during minded hours because of contamination of the food stuff.

Not sure where I heard it though, I might have made it up!!! :laughing:

Yes, I do think there is an environmental health thing that you shouldn't have dirty washing in the kitchen, so no linen basket left there. That's why I don't let mindees sort the dirty washing, only help with it once it's washed.

Narnia34
09-11-2011, 12:31 PM
Yes, I do think there is an environmental health thing that you shouldn't have dirty washing in the kitchen, so no linen basket left there. That's why I don't let mindees sort the dirty washing, only help with it once it's washed.

Just to clarify, before anyone suggests I'm utterly fezzing. When I did the ob of the children sorting clothes into coloured and whites, there were no 'smalls' involved, just t-shirts and bedding. Getting kids to sort 'smalls' would be wrong beyond belief :laughing:

rickysmiths
09-11-2011, 12:38 PM
I wasn't told anything about washing machines, maybe it didn't occur to the woman though as mine is hidden behind a cupboard like door ;)

She did tell me that I shouldn't have toothbrushes in the bathroom though, not quite sure where she wanted me to put them! :rolleyes:

You can have them but it is because of contamination when flushing the loo with the lid open. Also mindees brushes shouldn't touch each others. The way round is to ask the parents or to provide the little boxes that clip over the brush part to protect it.:thumbsup:

blue bear
09-11-2011, 12:51 PM
World has gone too pc in my opinion, I went on a child protection course the other week and the child protection officer said children would be damaged if they could see a wine bottle, we thought he was joking and fell about laughing, he was not amused. Are we supposed to put blinkers on the children if we go on tesco?

Mouse
09-11-2011, 12:53 PM
Just to clarify, before anyone suggests I'm utterly fezzing. When I did the ob of the children sorting clothes into coloured and whites, there were no 'smalls' involved, just t-shirts and bedding. Getting kids to sort 'smalls' would be wrong beyond belief :laughing:

Sorry, I didn't see your other post. Please don't think my comment was aimed at you :p :laughing:

Mindees have no access to my "not so smalls" even after they're washed and dried :eek: Some things have to be kept private :laughing: :laughing:

VeggieSausage
09-11-2011, 12:54 PM
We were told that you shouldn't have dirty clothes/washing in an area where you were preparing food rather than couldn't use the washing machine at all x

Narnia34
09-11-2011, 12:55 PM
World has gone too pc in my opinion, I went on a child protection course the other week and the child protection officer said children would be damaged if they could see a wine bottle, we thought he was joking and fell about laughing, he was not amused. Are we supposed to put blinkers on the children if we go on tesco?

Surely they would only be damaged if said wine bottle fell on them? If that's the case, then we should all make sure that any wine is consumed immediately it is brought into our houses :laughing:

Chimps Childminding
09-11-2011, 12:57 PM
If I couldn't do washing etc whilst minding I would have to give up, I just couldn't keep up with in otherwise!! I also HAVE to hoover during minding hours as I have a mindee who has an egg allergy, so I need to clean up regularly to make sure he doesn't pick up anything he shouldn't have!!!

This job is getting more and more institutionalised (is that a word and if so is it the right word???:rolleyes: ) we will soon not be able to do anything :angry:

JCrakers
09-11-2011, 01:08 PM

Lol.... :laughing: my bottles are all empty due to the numerous glasses I consume in the evening due to work related stress
:D

(not really, i have g&t and the bottle lasts longer, but is stored away so no children can be damaged by it :D )

Drinking after work and using the washing machine...what a bad, bad person I am :blush:

rickysmiths
09-11-2011, 01:09 PM

Oh that explains it then! I have been damaged for the last 56yrs :laughing: Blame it on my parents!!

I'm sorry but I agree the world has gone mad.

While I don't have the bottles lined up on the sideboard :laughing:

Until last year my living room was my main minding room and we have a glass fronted cupboard with our drinks and glasses in. (maybe it was ok because it isn't wine, only the hard stuff :laughing: ) The cupboard is locked and out of reach, but it was not out of sight.

I do sometimes have a bottle of red wine tucked at the back of the work surface in the kitchen which is used for cooking. It is out of reach for the children I have and if I had older ones it wouldn't be there, but it is in sight when we sit down for meals. Would a 16mth, 18mth and a 2yr old even realise what the bottle was??

cupcake22
09-11-2011, 01:13 PM
when I worked in nurseries they always have the washing machine/dryer on for bedding, bibs etc. Staff go home at 6pm so have to get it all done while the children are there so no different to us having it on home. My hoover, washer and dryer is on every day when mindees are here, some children even find the sound soothing.
The only thing I got told by my DO was not to have my wet washing hanging on the radiators to dry when ofsted was here which is fair enough

Oh heck thats a favorite of mine (having washing drying on the rads) My inspection is due tomorrow so I will put a wash on now while the little ones are asleep so that it can dry over night & I can take it off in the morning before she graces my door lol. Thanks for that!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cupcake22

flowerpots
09-11-2011, 01:17 PM
This thread has really made me chuckle. :laughing:

sweets
09-11-2011, 01:19 PM
im sorry but this thread has made me laugh :laughing: :laughing:

i use the washing machine while mindees are here and its in my kitchen where i prepare food! shock horror. I wouldnt leave dirty washing around tho as its brought downstairs and put straight in the machine.

i am a very bad minder and do lots of household jobs while mindees are around although i have a great group at the mo who just play really well together and dont really like or need my interference so i have plenty of time.

im an even worse minder because i let the mindees help, they love it when henry hoover comes out and they all get a go, they dust and even clean the patio windows and why shouldnt they as its their dirty fingerprints on them most of the time.

im contemplating whether to teach them how to clean the bathroom and loo :laughing: :laughing: (only joking on that one!)

Chatterbox Childcare
09-11-2011, 01:26 PM
Baloney - does that mean that I can no longer hoover up the mess the mindees make and then the little ones would be crawling around in their lunch mess.

Your instructor must be mad

Louise317
09-11-2011, 01:29 PM
I was told that in my training to... but as we speak my washer is going and the little one asleep in the pushchair in front of it as it helps him to sleep :)

Tealady
09-11-2011, 01:40 PM
We had a CM who left her washing machine going whilst at Toddlers and it caught fire whilst she was out. :eek: Perhaps that's why, but it is such a rare occurance...

PixiePetal
09-11-2011, 02:09 PM
We had a CM who left her washing machine going whilst at Toddlers and it caught fire whilst she was out. :eek: Perhaps that's why, but it is such a rare occurance...

electrical faults can happen at any time and I don't put mine on when I am out as BIL, who is a firefighter, said it is one of their commonest call outs

I do use my machine when working but keep my not so smalls to dry on radiator over night and remove (from radiator :laughing: ) in the morning before mindees arrive

singingcactus
09-11-2011, 02:13 PM
I seem to remember it saying somewhere in the EYFS paperwork about children not having any access to laundry facilities.

I tend not to have the washing machine on while I work, but it has nothing to do with EYFS or OFSTED, it's just that my teens do the laundry in this house. They do it at the end of the day. Plus my machine, although brand new, is pigging loud and is not exactly level at the mo and walks across the floor hehe.

miffy
09-11-2011, 02:14 PM
This thread has made me laugh but what a sad reflection of the constant so-called rules we're supposed to follow. Mind, I'd be quite happy not to use the cooker! :laughing:

Miffy xx

chez
09-11-2011, 02:21 PM
gosh I better really start planning as I overnight childcare too I wont be able to use them evenings either. :rolleyes:

JCrakers
09-11-2011, 02:43 PM
gosh I better really start planning as I overnight childcare too I wont be able to use them evenings either. :rolleyes:

You'll be smelling like a victorian soon then :D

stargazer1
09-11-2011, 02:47 PM
I sat my ICP in May and my course instructor said that to stick a load of washing on, hang a load on the line while the kids are playing in the sand pit etc, all fine. She just said that there is a line - if we've got the kids sat in front of the telly all day while we wash, iron, hoover, dust for 6 hours a day is unacceptablr. So basically, common sense!! We are opening our homes (well, I'm not registered yet but will be shortly fingers crossed!) so how on earth are we supposed to not get on with some level of daily chores?? When the children have their snackks, lunch etc, are we supposed to leave crumbs on the floor, dirty plates in the sink etc. Surely, showing the children how to learn these skills and how to tidy up after yourself etc is just part of life? The world is going mad I tell you!!!!!! :eek:

JCrakers
09-11-2011, 02:49 PM
I sat my ICP in May and my course instructor said that to stick a load of washing on, hang a load on the line while the kids are playing in the sand pit etc, all fine. She just said that there is a line - if we've got the kids sat in front of the telly all day while we wash, iron, hoover, dust for 6 hours a day is unacceptablr. So basically, common sense!! We are opening our homes (well, I'm not registered yet but will be shortly fingers crossed!) so how on earth are we supposed to not get on with some level of daily chores?? When the children have their snackks, lunch etc, are we supposed to leave crumbs on the floor, dirty plates in the sink etc. Surely, showing the children how to learn these skills and how to tidy up after yourself etc is just part of life? The world is going mad I tell you!!!!!! :eek:

:laughing:

Maza
09-11-2011, 04:12 PM
I wouldn't be able to move in my kitchen if I didn't put the dishwasher on after lunch. That would be more of a H and S risk!

Tatjana
09-11-2011, 07:19 PM
Thank you ladies,

Oh, should the parents also bring meals for us and our families, duuuhhh!!!!:censored:

PerkyEars
09-11-2011, 07:37 PM
children would be damaged if they could see a wine bottle

So my two 12 litres of homebrew in full view on a table is right out then. :laughing:

kel1983
09-11-2011, 07:52 PM
How stupid. In the last week I have had the tumble drier on lods as the little ones have got wet and their parents havent yet supplied spare clothes :angry:

The washing machine is on atleast twice a day and the dishwasher is sometimes on in the morning if it hasnt been put on the night before.

The children all put their hoes on and come out and help hang the washing on the line.

zippy
09-11-2011, 07:56 PM
absolute rubbish, i even got my friend to check with her ofsted inspector when she had her pre reg she said shed never heard anything so ridiculous

mummyof3
09-11-2011, 09:01 PM
When I started out I listened to ALL the advice I didn't even go to the toilet until they slept for fear of leaving them! I banned TV for my own children in case people thought I'd put them in front of it all day. I wouldn't even open the front door to the post man! That was then..............................

I now realise that I've raised 3 healthy and safe children by doing the opposite of the above and they are fine! I use the washing machine, I hang out washing, I put on the dishwasher, I wipe down the kitchen sides, mop the floor if the dogs muddy feet dirty it, I even go for a wee alone!!!!!!

I am not going to be dictated to by anyone because last time I checked I AM SELF EMPLOYED I do not answer to anybody!!!!! :D The children are happy, parents are happy and I'm happy !!

LittleVoice
09-11-2011, 09:24 PM
I completely agree with everyone, it is completely barking mad, when i did my training only a year ago, nothing at all about this was mentioned. The only thing we were told was to keep the kitchen tidy from pots. SO, if you are full, especially during holidays, ot using a dishwasher you'd spend most of your day preparing food and washing up and not with the children!!

I personally use a childminder for my daughter for the simple fact i wanted her to be in a home from home environment. I wanted her to be involved in every day acitivites, and she was and loves it. :thumbsup: