PDA

View Full Version : How to get around with 3x one year olds

asatess
08-11-2011, 01:17 PM
After Xmas I'll have two 18mths olds, and one 14 month. I've never had 3 under 5s before, never mind any so young. I do the school run twice a day and obviously want to get out and about. Is a triple buggy my only option or has anyone managed to transport 3 of this age around using any other method. Thanks

cupcake22
08-11-2011, 01:38 PM
I have had 1 at 1yr, 1 at 13mths & 1 at 2yrs old. I walked with the 2 yr old with the other 2 in a double buggy. Once the little ones started to walk I would walk short journeys using single buggy with them to practice. When 1 got tired I would them in the buggy & let the other one have a turn. i just made sure I didnt go too far as I did not want to be carring one home. Hope this helps

Cupcake22

T0ffee
08-11-2011, 02:00 PM
Hi, I have had 3 one year olds and have found my bibi stroller a fantastic invention!! If you have a double buggy then this will save the trouble of buying a triple buggy!! You attach it on to the double buggy and it's like a seat which has a strap round.

Look at amazon or bay for it

Mouse
08-11-2011, 02:17 PM
When I had 3 under 18mths I used a tandem pushchair & a buggy pod.

The Juggler
08-11-2011, 02:27 PM
depends on your 18 month old. one of my 2 year olds now loved the buggy board at 18 months.

Give it a go maybe they can ttake turns about on the buggy board. if it doesn't work then a triple might be your only option.

I have to use my T3 as a triple in jan/feb. will have 6 month old, 15 months and 18 months. I only have to do it for 1 day though.

snufflepuff
08-11-2011, 02:36 PM
When I had three one year olds I double (tandem type) with a sit down buggy board on the back. It was okay but very heavy and awkward, so we just didn't go far. Luckily I didn't have to do a school run with it, it may just have killed me as it was about 35 minutes walk, 45 with the schoolie with me!

Penny1959
08-11-2011, 03:03 PM
I am an expert at this - I have 4 of them all under 22ms but were all under 19m when school went back in Sept.

I used a double pushchaire and they took turns. It will depend how far it is to school - mine is a 15 min walk on my own and a 30 - 40 min walk with the little ones - so that is another consideration.

I did a lot of practising in the school holidays - and at first it was terrible - they did not hold on, if on reins they pulled in the other direction, their legs became tired very quickly and when tired they sat down and screamed refusing to move!

However I just stuck at it - going a bit further every time and within a couple of weeks we had cracked it. now at 21m they are all excellent walkers are very well behaved when we are out walking.

Good luck

Penny :)

jane5
08-11-2011, 03:08 PM
I tried a buggy board and a buggy pod (to heavy to push and pulled to 1 side pulling on my shoulder) and for me they didnt work.

I like to be able to strap them all in safe and out of mischief if I go into a shop and I also like to be able to walk quickly if I need to.

I eventually bought an ABC adventure buggy off ebay and it has been my life saver and really easy to push. I paid about £285 for it and it is worth every penny :thumbsup:

Tam's Tribe
08-11-2011, 03:10 PM
A double tandem with a buggy pod (fab invention)

asatess
08-11-2011, 03:13 PM
The school run is 3 mins (I can see the school from my window) but it is across 2 roads, both busy but with a crossing. So its not far but could be dangerous if the children arent fairly secure. I dont want to spend a fortune as in 7 yrs of minding this is the first time I've had three so young and dont want to make a habit of it!

Penny1959
08-11-2011, 03:22 PM
To ensure mime are safe they are on reins and the straps of reins over buggy handle. I hold hands if one a bit hesitant at roads and also take care when going up and down kerbs

Penny :)

littleelm
08-11-2011, 03:26 PM
If I were you, I'd have the youngest in a buggy and the two 18 month year olds on reins/little life backpack, and have a buggy board for them to take turns going on (maybe one on the way to school, the other on the way back!)

Nature'sKids!
08-11-2011, 03:43 PM
I think a dole buggy is probably a good investment, as you'll probably go out to do other things too?
I would then put the youngest / lightest in a carrier on my back (I use a manduca or a Mei tai but equally as good are ergo's, beco's, patapum's, wompat's,... Search eBay or join ukbabywearingswap group on yahoo for cheap second hand ones.
Most can be usedfrom birth to about 3/4 years and they have good resale value!
Then, once they're older a buggy board or
Sit board

jumping j
08-11-2011, 03:46 PM
I have this situation at the moment, I have either;
6 weeks
20 months
21 months
3 years old
4 years old
or
6 weeks old
20 months
2 years
3 years
4 years
I have a double buggy, reins and wrist restraints, the 2, 3 and 4 year olds are very good at holdging hands/buggy now after laots of practice. The 6 week old obviouly goes in the buggy and the other two take turns in the buggy or in reins. I am debating getting a baby sling or baby backpack though so that on the days when I have 3 little ones they can all be strapped in.

blue bear
08-11-2011, 08:57 PM
I started off with a p &t with buggy pod, now at 17mth, 23mth, and 2x 27 months we are down to the p&t but only occasionally use two seats as the lo's take turns at walking and riding.
Do your local authority loan raiment to childminders? Ours does which means you don't have to store bulky items when no longer have lo's