PDA

View Full Version : Which breakfast cereals?

jelly15
08-11-2011, 09:48 AM
Been giving the LOs a choice of weetabix or porridge, I like these cereals, sweetened with fruit puree, especially in the colder months. However, they seemed to have gone off them recently. I know at least two of them get chocolate based cereals for breakfast at home but I want to serve healthier options so I need some ideas please.

rickysmiths
08-11-2011, 09:51 AM
Shreddies

Readybrek

I found a poached or boiled egg and toast went down well for a change.

AliceK
08-11-2011, 09:54 AM
I think my cereal cupboard looks like the cereal isle of a supermarket. I have just about every cereal going. The older ones can choose whay they would like although they usually go for weetabix. The younger ones, I choose for them and as a rule don't give them the chocolate ones, it's mainly my children who eat these :blush:

xxx

singingcactus
08-11-2011, 09:55 AM
I offer my own kids weetabix, ready brek, cornflakes, rice crisies or shreddies. On holidays and weekends though, it's chocolate coated chocolate cereal :D makes the plain stuff more bearable for them during term time.

Nature'sKids!
08-11-2011, 10:03 AM
we have always had muesli, first the baby muesli from plum baby, then pimhill organic muesli, which is allergen free motly. we have it with yoghurt and fruit puree.
occasinally we will have rice puffs or quinoa, amaranth and something else flakes (healthy kellogs essentially lol)
during the winter porridge
pancakes go down well too, with a bit of sweet butternut squash mixed into the pancake mix, and then sweetened with honey or jelly / jam
ds likes to have toast with sugar free jam or fruit concentrate on first thing, then usually has a banana and some muesli
every day is different though lol!
homemade smoothies (fruit and coconut water, with powdered superfoods added)
toast with either jam or cheese and cooked meats (continental style)
fruit on its own or fruit salad
very occasionally i buy the variety packs but we usually have these as a "pudding" or snack as theyre so full of sugar and not very filling either.
i also dont buy nestle so thats a lot of cereals out the window (loved cinamon shreddies as a kid!! :( lol)
granola is quite nice too

Tinglesnark
08-11-2011, 10:34 AM
we are boring, we have cheerios, shreddies, weetabix, porridge and cookie crunch for the weekend :thumbsup: also toast, yoghurt and fruit but usually the cereal is enough for my 2 :)

Maza
08-11-2011, 11:03 AM
I read an article a while ago and I think shredded wheat won the'award' for having the least amount of sugar and salt added.

Tealady
08-11-2011, 11:49 AM
My ones like the filled shredded wheat style cereal. Often filled with apricots, raisins or cranberries. Even the very small ones like these as you can soften them with milk and they eat them with their fingers

Velleity
08-11-2011, 11:59 AM
My own children at the moment want brown rice and boiled eggs for breakfast.

I have also Rice Krispies, Mini Weetabix, Regular Weetabix and Porridge.

The Juggler
08-11-2011, 02:36 PM
rice krispies are one of the best (I think) for low sugar/salt. and in fact cheerios (the plain ones) don't have any more sugar or salt than shreddies - which kind of shocked me :panic: so i offer then as equal options now. never buy the sugar coated or honey nut ones though.

always offer toast/crumpets and banana and milk drink as an option too.:)

Donkey
08-11-2011, 05:27 PM
we have...

plain cornflakes, weetabix, cheerios (bogof in tesco and there was a 30p coupon hanging around... so cost £2.15 for 2 boxes, result! I have 5 boxes at home lol)
sometimes I make scotch pancakes which we have with fruit, sometimes cooked breakfast...

depends really!!

FussyElmo
08-11-2011, 05:44 PM
I think my cereal cupboard looks like the cereal isle of a supermarket. I have just about every cereal going. The older ones can choose whay they would like although they usually go for weetabix. The younger ones, I choose for them and as a rule don't give them the chocolate ones, it's mainly my children who eat these :blush:

xxx

Mines exactly the same :thumbsup: