PDA

View Full Version : Safety film (again)

NicoleW
08-11-2011, 06:14 AM
I understand you need to put safety film on glass in the house but I hear dsomeone mention about "below a certain height"

Does anyone know what that height is? plus the windows in my front room are double glazed but without a kite mark, do I still need to have film on my windows? (It looks awful and dreadful)

muffins
08-11-2011, 07:46 AM
I don't know anything about a height but if your windows don't have a kite mark then I would say they need film just to make sure!;)

rickysmiths
08-11-2011, 08:06 AM
Normal height windows do not have to have film on them and do not normally have a kite mark anyway. If this was required we would all have to cover all our windows and we don't.

You should have a risk assessment showing how you prevent children from climbing up to windows, so no chairs or tables they could climb on in front of windows and you need to say how you prevent them from falling out of a window if they do climb up. Do you keep them locked, do you have child locks on them preventing them being opened too far my new windows are fitted with a restrictor in the track limiting how far the window can be opened unless you release a very tough button.

I had new windows in my house last year and the only ones with a kite mark are the patio doors that go to the ground which is where a child has a danger of running into them.

You would need to make sure any glass from half way down a door to the floor or any floor length glazed cupboard doors or mirrors are protected. Anywhere where a child could bash into and break the glass.

NicoleW
08-11-2011, 08:30 AM
I had a development worker round who told me I'd need to safety film all my windows including my kitchen ones, and my vivarium (which is on a stand and the children can't reach but I was oging to safety film that as it's single pane)

I have a risk assessment which says not to put anything infront of the windows which may allow the children to climb up and touch the glass as my windows don't have locks on

rickysmiths
08-11-2011, 08:40 AM
I had a development worker round who told me I'd need to safety film all my windows including my kitchen ones, and my vivarium (which is on a stand and the children can't reach but I was oging to safety film that as it's single pane)

I have a risk assessment which says not to put anything infront of the windows which may allow the children to climb up and touch the glass as my windows don't have locks on

Well it is your choice and only you know your home.

In 17 years of childminding and when I started I had old metal framed single glazed crittle window, I have never had been asked to or questioned by Ofsted why I have not got safety film on all my windows.

Do you have any cm friends locally? Do they have safety film on all their windows?

I have one Billy Bookcase with has glass doors to the floor. Because I didn't want to cover it in safety film my dh built an MDF screen which hooked into 2 small rings on the wall, a bit like a fire screen and I could take it off when I wasn't working and still have a good looking glass fronted display cupboard.

I would not do it, non of my cm friends do it, this is my home as well and I think your DO is going over the top.

What did Ofsted say when they did you pre-reg visit?

kel1983
08-11-2011, 11:19 AM
[QUOTE=rickysmiths;1007546]

I have one Billy Bookcase with has glass doors to the floor. Because I didn't want to cover it in safety film my dh built an MDF screen which hooked into 2 small rings on the wall, a bit like a fire screen and I could take it off when I wasn't working and still have a good looking glass fronted display cupboard.

QUOTE]

We have an antique glass display unit in our dining room which we were definately not putting safety film on so my dad built a 3 sided MDF screen which sits around it. The screen doubles up as a display board which we put all the childrens art work on

We have ikea dvd/cd shelves on our lounge wall which hve a glass panel in the door. They are about half a metre off the floor so in reach of the children. We have the instructions that state the glass is safety glass as they have to comply with eu standards. We havent put safety glass on these either as I think the film is useless. We just put things in front of these to deter the children.

Natternic
08-11-2011, 11:32 AM
I was told to put safety glass film on anything waist height down, that has not got kitemark on. Most windows are lockable these days, so you just havet o prevent children climbing up to "normal windows"
x

JCrakers
08-11-2011, 01:23 PM
I have it on my double doors from lounge to dining room as it thin paned glass.
I wouldnt put it on my windows as I just wouldnt do it.....if I was told to or not. Its my house and I wouldnt have it on..

The children are taught not to climb on the sofa and are not really allowed in the lounge unsupervised anyway :D

coxeypea
26-02-2013, 08:59 PM
I need so advice please, I am Pre-Registration, we live in the first floor of a Victorian house.My question is about what safety measured Ofsted expect of me.... do I have to put safety film on all our very old sash windows.:idea:

WibbleWobble
26-02-2013, 09:50 PM
I need so advice please, I am Pre-Registration, we live in the first floor of a Victorian house.My question is about what safety measured Ofsted expect of me.... do I have to put safety film on all our very old sash windows.:idea:

I have original sash windows in my Victorian house and yes you should have film. Old glass especially will shatter and be very dangerous. I risk assessed it and acted on it

Wibble the safe x

coxeypea
26-02-2013, 10:15 PM
Thanks for that vital piece of information :)