PDA

View Full Version : Sensory item suggestions for a dark den?

Cazz
07-11-2011, 10:59 PM
I got the dark den from the Sainsbury's Active kids promotion but now I need items to use with it.

Can anyone suggest what safe items I can put in there and where I can purchase them from? (I currently mind children from 10 months to 6 years old).

I've seen dark den accessory kits on a couple of websites - they cost about £70.00 including vat, for around 17 items. Wasn't sure if that is a good price or if it's cheaper to buy things individually?

christine e
08-11-2011, 06:48 AM
I would buy things as you see them. I had an accessory kit and most of the items broke quite quickly. I recently made some glow in the dark playdough

http://sunhatswellieboots.blogspot.com/2011/09/homemade-glow-in-dark-play-dough.html

I have some lovely balls that light up when bounced, and lots of things that light up that I have bought from places like Home Bargains

Cx

Toothfairy
08-11-2011, 07:39 AM
Glow sticks (£ shop)
Fibre optic light
Torch
Balls that light up
Illuminious scarves
Illuminious shapes/stars to stick on the sides
Larva Lamp
Get children to wear white socks on their feet and hands and then turn on an ultra violet lamp.

PixiePetal
08-11-2011, 07:48 AM
I got some squishy light up toys from crafty crocodiles 80p to £1.20 each :thumbsup:

miss mopple
08-11-2011, 08:24 AM
I get stuff from here

http://www.sensorytoywarehouse.com/

Maza
08-11-2011, 08:46 AM
I got some glow sticks from the £ shop. I also added torches, glow in thedark stars from the ELC, bouncy balls that light up. If your kids are older you could add shiny items - foil, tinsel etc and see if they still shine in the dark. You could put in some night time animals for them to feel. I love this topic!

PixiePetal
08-11-2011, 09:05 AM
silver space blankets look great with coloured lights in the den :thumbsup:

sillysausage
08-11-2011, 10:47 AM
When I got my dark den I also bought the accessory pack and I have to say the accessory pack really wasn't worth the money (£50 or £60) as I've found similar items elsewhere that would have been cheaper.
I have recently bought some packs of 3 light up ducklings in Matalan £2.99
glow lightsticks - £shop
Battery Xmas light strings -£shop
colour changing shapes (globe/heart/egg)- argos clearance-£4
battery tea-lights -£shop

I've missed a couple of ideal opportunities for adding to my collection. When we were on holiday, at a Haven caravan site, I kicked myself for not buying some of the flashing light toys that they had on sale. I kicked myself again when we were in Blackpool a few weeks ago for the illuminations as there were loads of street sellers selling various flashing, spinning things.

Nature'sKids!
08-11-2011, 11:08 AM
LED fairy lights and torches

The Juggler
08-11-2011, 02:41 PM
mini lava lamps and home made botles with glitter oil etc.
torches
scarves
soft toys
bells (other instruments)
a selection of things from your treasure basket