PDA

View Full Version : Help with school run

cockatoos
07-11-2011, 10:22 PM
Hi there,
Just want a bit of advice about the actual school run. After I pick up my son, I have 2 babies in buggy, a 5 yr, 7yr and 11 yr. The house and school are very near to each other but we have to cross a main road. I seem to be constantly bellowing at the boys to not run off and of course my son the 5yr old is the worst culprit.

Any ideas on how to keep them all together? I have tried talking to the 11 year old that he is a role model etc etc. I want to give them a bit of freedom but also be safe- they can't and won't hold the buggy or hand unless we are crossing road.

Thank you,
Amy

mrs robbie williams
08-11-2011, 07:09 AM
i know the feeling - we are very close to the school aswell but there is a main road to cross and despite the fact that im usually on my own with 5 children and a buggy and am edging out between all the parked cars people wont slow down, let me cross etc. I make the younger 2 who are 5 hold the buggy because neither have any road sense at all, the older 3 are not allowed to run off but can walk ahead of me, they know when we cross the road that we all hold hands - it is a bit chaotic and im always relieved when we get home xx

AliceK
08-11-2011, 09:47 AM
I am the same. Some days I have 2 LO's in a buggy, a 3yr old, 2 x 6yr old and 7yr old. I think you have to get very strict. My 3yr old usually walks with me either holding my hand or the buggy. The older children can walk a little way ahead of us but only so far and they know how far. I worry about cars reversing off driveways which they probably wouldn't be aware of or watching out for hence the rule that they are only allowed off a little way, certainly within hearing distance of me calling to them to stop. Everyone knows they have to stop when we get to a road. I have had to be very strict and have had the older ones walking with me before when they have not listened and gone too far or ignored me calling them. It's taken a while and a bit of stress and me having to get strict but I think we've got it now. It might seem strict but where safety is concerned I won't take risks.
Put your foot down, you're in charge and they have to know there are rules which just cannot be broken. It's for their own good.

xxxxx

Forgot to say I also have wrist straps hanging from the buggy (usually for the toddlers who sometimes walk) but I have been known to threaten all the children that if they cannot be trusted they will go on a wrist strap. I don't care what age they are!!

AliceK
08-11-2011, 09:52 AM
i know the feeling - we are very close to the school aswell but there is a main road to cross and despite the fact that im usually on my own with 5 children and a buggy and am edging out between all the parked cars people wont slow down, let me cross etc. I make the younger 2 who are 5 hold the buggy because neither have any road sense at all, the older 3 are not allowed to run off but can walk ahead of me, they know when we cross the road that we all hold hands - it is a bit chaotic and im always relieved when we get home xx

Same here. It makes me so mad. The road we have to cross right outside the school is a nightmare and yet no-one will stop. Trying to explain to the children that we are going to slowly edge out but NOT neccesarily go accross is difficult. That's the worst bit of our journey.

xxx

Pipsqueak
08-11-2011, 09:57 AM
Children who run off or won't walk sensibly/cross the road properly - regardless of age... are put on reins/wriststrap until they can be trusted.

JCrakers
08-11-2011, 11:42 AM
I know exactly how you feel. I have a 10min walk down to school and its not really busy. It is my most stressful time as all the after school children are boys and sorry to stereotype but they don't listen.

I spend my walk reminding them to walk nd be sensible. I have two boys who are very silly and yesterday one of them was running sideways, I told him to stop, he then totally ignored me, turned round and ran forward without looking....WHACK.....straight into a lampost with his head.
Im surprised he dodint knock himself out.

Usually I do manage to get them all walking sensibly but its damn hard work....It wears me out and Im so glad to drop them off

Becky x

JCrakers
08-11-2011, 11:44 AM
I am the same. Some days I have 2 LO's in a buggy, a 3yr old, 2 x 6yr old and 7yr old. I think you have to get very strict. My 3yr old usually walks with me either holding my hand or the buggy. The older children can walk a little way ahead of us but only so far and they know how far. I worry about cars reversing off driveways which they probably wouldn't be aware of or watching out for hence the rule that they are only allowed off a little way, certainly within hearing distance of me calling to them to stop. Everyone knows they have to stop when we get to a road. I have had to be very strict and have had the older ones walking with me before when they have not listened and gone too far or ignored me calling them. It's taken a while and a bit of stress and me having to get strict but I think we've got it now. It might seem strict but where safety is concerned I won't take risks.
Put your foot down, you're in charge and they have to know there are rules which just cannot be broken. It's for their own good.

xxxxx

Forgot to say I also have wrist straps hanging from the buggy (usually for the toddlers who sometimes walk) but I have been known to threaten all the children that if they cannot be trusted they will go on a wrist strap. I don't care what age they are!!

Yes this is the way I do it.....:D

Natternic
08-11-2011, 11:58 AM
me and my son have a stop at the next lampost rule, avoids him going too far ahead. i dont yet have any more on the school run, but could try x

cockatoos
08-11-2011, 12:24 PM
Thank everyone - it's good to know it's not just me! I am going to have a chat with the 11 year old to get him on side. I have a dog lead that I can loop round the buggy handle so there is something for one of the younger ones to hang onto. I'm also going to sit down with all of them and get them to risk assess the school run and work out the risks for themselves.

And if none of this works I'm having big chats with the parents. Wish me luck, I'm slightly dreading the school run today!

Amy

anthea jane
08-11-2011, 12:44 PM
I have 7 to collect today, all boys!!!
I collect 5 from 1 school (4,6,8,8 &9) then we walk to another to collect 2 more (5&7)Luckily I don't have any under 5's

They are all pretty sensible,and if any muck about its always my 2!!! (4&9)

We all walk in a line with the 9 and 8yr together in front,then the other 8yr and 6yr,then the 4yr and 5yr ,then me holding hands with the 7yr (aspergers)

I am very lucky that both schools are very close together and both have lollipop ladies and we live in between!!!!

Sticker rewards are always good!!!!!
http://www.schoolstickers.co.uk/primary/walk-to-school-157

cockatoos
08-11-2011, 06:24 PM
Well it worked ish! Had a chat with the older boy, put dog leads on the buggy which they quite enjoyed hanging onto. Fairly calm until we got home and then they just went bonkers but that's just them!!!

Thanks again for your help,
Amy