PDA

View Full Version : Observsations and planning

charlieamber
07-11-2011, 09:55 PM
Ok I am going to sound so stupid here, but I am really at a loss with this planning and obs.
Just re-rigistered after having a 3 year break and I didnt have to do any of this before!!!

How often am I meant to do a ob on each child
Do I need to plan what I am doing weeks ahead of time?
Today is my first day with my a full timer and we did collage fishes as he went to the aquariam in Portsmouth at weekend, so thought this would be good to do today. I have said we will be doing sponge painting tomorrow but this is as far as my planning goes!!!!!

Head is in a muddle!!!! :eek: Please help.

time_4_change
07-11-2011, 10:23 PM
Hi

I didn't want to read and run. I am feeling exactly the same as you. I am a new childminder and I have got my first mindee this week. Mum mentioned in the ''all about me book'' that she likes water and animals so going to do some water play. This is as far as I got. Im hoping to do a planning sheet weekly and I am going to do an observation soon then possibly every month or 3 month after that. I am also thinking of having a writingpad to go with the mindees file so i can make notes on a daily/weekly basis.
:panic:

charlieamber
07-11-2011, 10:28 PM
Hi

I didn't want to read and run. I am feeling exactly the same as you. I am a new childminder and I have got my first mindee this week. Mum mentioned in the ''all about me book'' that she likes water and animals so going to do some water play. This is as far as I got. Im hoping to do a planning sheet weekly and I am going to do an observation soon then possibly every month or 3 month after that. I am also thinking of having a writingpad to go with the mindees file so i can make notes on a daily/weekly basis.
:panic:

Thank you for not running LOL.
Yeah I think I could manage a weekly plan, which I will print out and put into childs journal each week and put one on wall. I was thinking of doing a ob each month ( do you think this is too much!)
How soon after your first mindee starts are you going to link to the eyfs chart ( if you know what I mean, I do just not 100% sure what its called LOL)

Jackie

sarah707
08-11-2011, 07:53 AM
To start with, watch and listen and clue into the child's interests - exactly like you have been doing with the aquarium activities.

Also offer a wide range of free play opportunities which the child can dip into and out of through the day.

This plus the child's routine - meals, rest time etc is all the planning you need.

Then, as the child is settled with you, you might want to start introducing some planned activities to fill the time.

Depending on the child's age you might follow themes or it might work better for you to go with the flow - only you know that.

Write up general ideas of what the child has enjoyed, what you have planned and link them to the Development Matters in the Eyfs.

Hth :D

charlieamber
08-11-2011, 05:55 PM
Thank you for all your help. I think I am slowly getting the idea of it all ( she says still scratching her head LOL)

I will get there one day and when I do will be able to help other, just done wait around for me LOL

I did an obs on a second mindee today, just sponge painting, as I know he loves messy play! So with all the talk about the animal shapes and colours I am still unsure how to link it and to where:blush:

He then started using the sponges to painting the whole a3 size card, so I put down on next steps to get the paints out again and use brushes instead of sponges, is this right, or have I gone of in totally the wrong direction:eek:

Also he was quite concerned about his hands getting paint on ( mum said he loves painting and as this is now his second day I really am taking her word for it).

moggy
08-11-2011, 09:14 PM
Thank you for all your help. I think I am slowly getting the idea of it all ( she says still scratching her head LOL)

I will get there one day and when I do will be able to help other, just done wait around for me LOL

I did an obs on a second mindee today, just sponge painting, as I know he loves messy play! So with all the talk about the animal shapes and colours I am still unsure how to link it and to where:blush:

He then started using the sponges to painting the whole a3 size card, so I put down on next steps to get the paints out again and use brushes instead of sponges, is this right, or have I gone of in totally the wrong direction:eek:

Also he was quite concerned about his hands getting paint on ( mum said he loves painting and as this is now his second day I really am taking her word for it).

Hi, as far as linking to EYFS for this obs- areas to look at are KUW for the animal shapes, maybe if CLL if he was talking about it (not sure of age?), CD for being creative with paint, PD maybe for how he was handling and manipulating the tools/materials. Of course, you don't have to label it under all those, just the one or two you feel are most relevant to him and his development/stage at the moment.
Next steps (I am not sure his age?)... but yes offer brushes or potato printing or glue spreaders or old toothbrushes to dip in paint etc etc, or offer big sheets of lining paper or back of old wallpaper on the floor to work on if he enjoyed the size of the A3 card.
I like to take my planning day by day, just as you are here with this painting. Who know, by next week he could be off painting and into something completely different so I like to keep it almost minute-by-minute and I make sure I have plenty of resources (like a well stocked junk cupboard) so I can whip up an activity at a moment's notice. Keeps us on our toes!

charlieamber
08-11-2011, 09:30 PM
Hi, as far as linking to EYFS for this obs- areas to look at are KUW for the animal shapes, maybe if CLL if he was talking about it (not sure of age?), CD for being creative with paint, PD maybe for how he was handling and manipulating the tools/materials. Of course, you don't have to label it under all those, just the one or two you feel are most relevant to him and his development/stage at the moment.
Next steps (I am not sure his age?)... but yes offer brushes or potato printing or glue spreaders or old toothbrushes to dip in paint etc etc, or offer big sheets of lining paper or back of old wallpaper on the floor to work on if he enjoyed the size of the A3 card.
I like to take my planning day by day, just as you are here with this painting. Who know, by next week he could be off painting and into something completely different so I like to keep it almost minute-by-minute and I make sure I have plenty of resources (like a well stocked junk cupboard) so I can whip up an activity at a moment's notice. Keeps us on our toes!

Thank you so much, Mindee is 28 months old, a lot of copying what I say, I say what is that, he says the same, I say look its a horse, a blue horse so mindee repeats that LOL. Thought about toothbrushes also old hair brushes, will looks through collage cupboard tomorrow as I am planning the next step on thursday, as like you said, if I leave it too long, he may hate paint LOL

Thanks also for the advice on linking :jump for joy:

charlieamber
10-11-2011, 04:22 PM
Well I did my next steps as I said I would, so got out all the paint, and brushes, toothbrushes and hairbrushes too.

Mindees face was a picture, when he saw it all.
First painting was all done with the brushes, next 2 pictures were done with him painting his hands and doing hand prints LOL, so much for other day when he was worried about getting paint on his hands:laughing: