PDA

View Full Version : Anyone do before/after-school care but NOT holiday care?

Anon8319
07-11-2011, 08:59 PM
Hi lovelies,
I was just wondering if anyone does this. I only have one school mindee, and that's mainly due to the fact I have the younger sibling full time. So I have 2 pre-schoolers including my own 19 month old, and although I have enquiries and some others kind of lined up, I'm thinking in a way I want to keep it as it is for now. It seems quite busy for mindees round here.

I don't get a huge amount extra for doing school holiday cover and there are good holiday activity clubs at the many local private schools, sports centre etc etc. His mum actually was thinking of sending him to one but decided he's a bit young at the mo, which is fair enough. However, I actually find it a nightmare - he's very precocious and forgetting the issues I've had with this family anyway, he's hard to keep happy/stop whining. I don't enjoy school holiday times because I don't enjoy pushing the pre-school stuff onto more of a back-burner, and the 2 pre-schoolers in themselves are very demanding actually!

So does anyone else not provide holiday care, whether they do before/after-school care or not?

Ripeberry
07-11-2011, 09:53 PM
I'm term-time only. Which suits me fine as I feel the holidays are for myself and my own family. You may not get so many enquiries but lots of people work term-time.
As you said, lots of holiday clubs around here as well and I would be charging more than they do.
You could do a mixture, only offer year round care for non-school aged children and term-time only for the school kids.

Chimps Childminding
08-11-2011, 11:34 AM
I would love to get rid of my schoolies full stop :blush: I hate the holidays, but our local school doesn't offer a before/after school or holiday club facility :( !! It is difficult when you have had a child from being a baby to turn round any say you don't want them once they go to school, but I do find it hard work, even after school, and the noise really gets to me - maybe I'm just getting too old for this job!! :rolleyes:

butterfly
08-11-2011, 12:22 PM
I have after schoolies but no holiday care - we have a cheap holiday play scheme and i find most parents try and use as much holiday as they can furing the school hols to keep childcare costs low.

i personally hate having the older ones - they are much ruder, more disruptive and harder to keep entertained. I only have one cause of an younger sibling and one cause mum is a friend but as soon as their circumstances change i'm not having any more!!!

asatess
08-11-2011, 01:40 PM
I'm term time only, but help out a little during scholl hols if needed. I tend to do lots of teachers children! With the local holiday club charging £10 per day and covering all holidays theres no demand from schoolies at all

amanda1309
08-11-2011, 02:16 PM
I work all year but all my schoolies are term time only. Is just the way it's happened, but I like it :blush:

Anon8319
08-11-2011, 02:53 PM
I am a trained teacher and initially set out to do TT only as there is such a shortage of CMs here who offer it, but my current family came along and there are no TT only mindees on the horizon at the moment! I think I'd give notice if there were as I do want to redress the work-life balance a bit (I work 6 days a week, starting at 630/7 Mon-Fri, and one week a month I do 7 days as I work with a disabled child for county council on that day).

Mrs Pootle
08-11-2011, 07:30 PM
I only work term time, and that fits for my family. My before/after schoolies know I don't provide holiday care, and they make alternative arrangements.

yummymummy
08-11-2011, 08:52 PM
Back when my own children were at Primary school I quickly realised that it was a total nightmare offering holiday care to the after schoolies. I pointed them in the direction of a holiday club that was much cheaper than me and then only took on children who didn't want/need holiday care and never had a problem filling my vacancies at all.