PDA

View Full Version : working with risk assessments

jadavi
05-11-2011, 03:05 PM
Do people date their risk assessments every time they go to the park, say, to show they've read it???

I was thinking after reading the posts about being graded outstanding how you show an ongoing engagement with your RAs.
I understand if yo have to adjust them here and there if new age groups join you etc but do you actually date them?
I don't get mine out every time and read it - I know it!!
Do you?

uf353432
05-11-2011, 03:49 PM
I have my risk assesment and then at the back a blank form for each of them which details specific risks encountered, the date and what I did.

So for example I have a risk assesment for walking from my home to school. It covers any risks I typically would encounter, how I manage multiple kids, small walkers etc. crossing the road, other cars, low light conditions (no street lights)

on the sheet at the back it might have a date where I encountered dog foul on the pavement - that I ensure children were aware of it whilst walking and walked around it.

it has the time when we walked up the hill and there was a huge oil slick which made the road slippery, so it detailed that we walked very carefully and then took an alternative route home until the council had put down sand to cover it.

So it shows that I continually risk assess, but there would be no need to update the actual risk assesment as these are one off issues i've encountered. I would amend my RA IF something changed - like they put in a lollipop lady at a crossing - or if dog foul happened all the time.

jadavi
05-11-2011, 03:56 PM
I really appreciate your answer, don't get me wrong!

But I cant imagine coming home and detailing things like walking around a dog poo!!

Sorry :) do other people do this?

ja x
PS I know you were answering my Q... guess i didn't want to hear the answer haha.

Twinkle-Toes
05-11-2011, 04:27 PM
I already have it in my risk assessment lol

We do have rather a lot of it though.... :panic:

jadavi
05-11-2011, 04:34 PM
Yeah I have it in my RA too - but don't come home and record that we walked around it on that day!

Sorry uf! Nothing personal intended!

sarah707
05-11-2011, 05:05 PM
I update when I have done things differently - for example when we go to town and have to walk on the road to get round a parked car I will make a note because I never know who is watching me and I'd rather it was written down than be caught out by a complaint.

I also update when things change or I take on a new child just to make sure it still reflects what I am doing :D

jadavi
05-11-2011, 05:18 PM
Thanks for the advice.

uf353432
05-11-2011, 08:20 PM
thing is I could not record it - but if I don't make the odd note on my risk assesments, a bit like a toddler not having any notes in their folder of bumps or accidents, then Ofsted wouldn;t beleive that I updated my risk assesments or even took them seriously. A risk assesment is supposed to be a working document - if you don't write anything ever - then its just something you did to satisfy them up there once - but can't actually prove you use on a day to day basis. Now would I record every time I had to bypass dog poo? no probably not - but the first time I definatly do -- because it shows I now bear this in mind when walking with the kids.

babs
05-11-2011, 08:30 PM
I do same risk assessment blank sheet that I write information anything that's changed like this week school run had to walk on road because of Iceland van delivering. dog poo all way down one side of road so had to cross to other side meaning we crossed road twice and that I rung council to come clean it up which they did before I picked up from school at 3 . All dated and signed.

jadavi
06-11-2011, 10:37 AM
Really well explained Uf35 I get it now :) thank you xx