PDA

View Full Version : When to leave children alone for the first time?

Nature'sKids!
05-11-2011, 10:32 AM
What age are your mindees when you first leave them "unattended" - like playing alone in a secure garden, or in another room? Have you got a set age or is it dependant on te development and totally individual?

Trouble
05-11-2011, 10:34 AM
i dont im always there with them my garden is at the front so its unsafe for me but would be nice

uf353432
05-11-2011, 10:41 AM
totally age and development. I have a very secure garden and play area in my house. I have two 2 yr olds on my books - one of which I can confidently leave for a few mins to go to the loo, or to go fetch something, or to be in kitchen prepping stuff. The other - man I need her sellotaped to my side she is what I call my flight risk - if there was trouble she'd get into it.

I took both along to a safety awareness centre in half term - for the older kids and the younger ones came for the ride - as soon as we entered the house she was in all the cupboards that contained the pretend poisons, in the shed with all the dangerous equipment, she was playing the living room with ALL the props that were considered a 'risk' the lady should have just said if everyone watches this little girl - she'll show you all the risks because she was literally magnetised to them all. Where as the other 2 yr old was already more risk aware and left well alone.

Nature'sKids!
05-11-2011, 11:33 AM
Oh my sounds like you've got your hands full!
My ds is 20 mnths now but he started walking at 8 months, started climbing the loft ladders at 10 months and WALKING not crawling up and down the stairs at 15 months. He is really short too so don't know how he does it lol! He has safely been able to navigate steps from about 8 months too.
He is just so aware and because of this I felt confident in leaving him, with his big brother (4) in the garden alone from about 12 months (obviously always within earshot - windows open etc)
And now he is unstoppable, climbing up playground equipment, navigating round the big area at softplay, etc... It's going to be a shock I think if I get a child who needs watching so closely! Lol

uf353432
05-11-2011, 11:53 AM
you'll know immediately if you do - the first time I took my flight risk out was to a park - one minute she was on some play equipment the next thing she was gone!!! I immediately raised the alarm, people raced around trying to find her and 2 mins later she was found by the edge of a duck pond peering in. That is how she earnt her name and now she is on a strap if we are not in any enclosed park area's. I have to have a risk assesment just for her I tell you!

Nature'sKids!
05-11-2011, 01:19 PM
Lol do you call her that? :laughing:
"come on flight risk, let's go feed the ducks " :laughing:
That's tickled me lol

uf353432
05-11-2011, 02:18 PM
lol! no - I never call her that. Mum knows that I have effectionatley coined her my little flight risk though - and she totally understands the sentiment. We work together on having continuity between us so she has the same freedom at home and here but the same restrictions as well.

buildingblocks
06-11-2011, 04:52 PM
What age are your mindees when you first leave them "unattended" - like playing alone in a secure garden, or in another room? Have you got a set age or is it dependant on te development and totally individual?

Completely depends on the child. Only exception is if I go to toilet (mine is upstairs) then all children under 5 (and some I have had over come into the house) older ones would stay outside dependant again on how I would trust them but to be honest not sure if even then I would never had that situation.

I have a very secure garden and am able to cordon off certain areas so if I have a baby asleep in my front room and cannot leave the play room I can let children outside and be able to see them at all times. Parents give permission for this as they are still in my sight and hearing (which used to be what was stated by Ofsted). But the 20 month old that I wouldn't trust outside on his own even if I could see and hear him as he would still manage to do something and injure himself. but the one who is slightly older I could quite happily let outside while I watch from the playroom. But

I personally wouldn't let any child under 2 and a half outside here without me just for my own peace of mind. This will change when I manage to put a gate up on the decked area making it a secure area for the little ones to play if I am in the playroom.

Hope this makes sense.

Nature'sKids!
06-11-2011, 05:32 PM
Sounds imilar to what I've got - decking and grassed area from conservatory / playroom - all visible from both living and playroom