PDA

View Full Version : Business is really bad.

TheBTeam
04-11-2011, 06:44 PM
Not sure how sustainable we are, as things have gone incredibly quiet with no sign of any new work on the horizon and only the possibility of losing some of the little we have.

Not sure what the point of me writing this is, but think just need to put it in writing!

:(

Trouble
04-11-2011, 06:47 PM
same here:(

FussyElmo
04-11-2011, 06:49 PM
and here :(

Mouse
04-11-2011, 06:56 PM
:(

That's one of the things that makes this job so tough.

I am very lucky at the moment in that I am as full as I want to be, but I know it wouldn't take much for it all to change.

Hope things pick up for you all.

blue bear
04-11-2011, 06:59 PM
It's really quiet here too, we have had four sessional preschools turn into full daycare and calls have just about dried up.
It's all over the news sbout sending your child to nursery that people dont think about childminders, we really need to up our profile.

I personally have been quite lucky and am as full as I want to be but there are others down to one or none and looking for other work

Mrs Book
04-11-2011, 07:03 PM
very quiet here as well. Just taken back two old mindies with a review at christmas. After today wishing I hadn't :laughing:

mufftie
04-11-2011, 07:09 PM
You probably don't want to hear this but I'm full to the brim :laughing:
But I'm telling you this not because I want to rub it in but because just 3 months ago was a very different story , I lost 7 mindees in 2 months !!! :eek: 3 mums went and had babies and 2 went to school
I was dropped in it well and truely but luck would have it that I've managed to replace them
So chin up as you just never no what tomorrow brings

JCrakers
04-11-2011, 07:25 PM
After a whole Year from Nov10 until now I had no enquiries at all and had two mindees leave in Sept for school. I was beginning to get really down about it and had advertised like mad but no joy.

Now I have signed 4 more children so things are looking up.
Hang in there you never know whats round the corner :D

Happy Bunny
04-11-2011, 07:33 PM
Quiet here, I have had to use one of my full time spaces for a before and after school just to make ends meet.

The Juggler
04-11-2011, 07:44 PM
oh hon. any chance of offering to run creche service for the local CC???

TheBTeam
04-11-2011, 07:57 PM
oh hon. any chance of offering to run creche service for the local CC???

Have signed up for every creche and extra that they have said about over the year and nothing has come of any of them, just doesnt seem to be the need when it comes down to it.

miffy
05-11-2011, 08:27 AM
What about offering session care whilst people do their Christmas shopping? Might bring in a bit of cash short term and maybe some work in the long term.

Hope things pick up for you soon.

Miffy xx

TheBTeam
05-11-2011, 07:20 PM
I already advertise as offering emergency and short notice, but just doesnt seem to be the demand.

jadavi
05-11-2011, 07:32 PM
are you signed up for childcare.co.uk?

I have had consistently a family every 3 weeks since July and that is the ONLY work i have had but it is really good and I am almost full. Every family has folllowed thru. I check my local familes on there every 3 days and write to them to introduce myself...no one else from my area seems to do that. I get them every time !

It seems when people google that's what comes up.....

babs
05-11-2011, 08:50 PM
Do you advertise at your local college and all playgroups. we have different playgroup going on all time morning and afternoon dropped leaflets in all of them . Postoffice .local shops I'm sure you have already done this just trying to throw ideas out.

TheBTeam
05-11-2011, 09:03 PM
are you signed up for childcare.co.uk?

I have had consistently a family every 3 weeks since July and that is the ONLY work i have had but it is really good and I am almost full. Every family has folllowed thru. I check my local familes on there every 3 days and write to them to introduce myself...no one else from my area seems to do that. I get them every time !

It seems when people google that's what comes up.....

Yep done that and playgroups you name it short of a bill board on my belly i have done it!:laughing:

mushpea
05-11-2011, 09:15 PM
last year i was full and over flowing and passing children on to other childminders as I was so full but now I am almost empty with the risk of loosing another one at christmas,, when I was full I did think that I should enjoy the money etc as one day I would be empty and here is that day,, I am sure it will turn around again at some point and things will pick up ,, hopefully it wont be too far away and I will be able to keep going till then.
I have just put ads in the local shops and have also contacted the council about respite care for disabled children which is somthing I have wanted to do for a long time but havent had the space.

Maza
05-11-2011, 10:07 PM
I'm also quiet. A few months ago I was turning people down and now typically, when I have spaces I'm not hearing anything!

funemnx
05-11-2011, 10:25 PM
I hope things pick up for you soon - things getting quiet here now too. Not lost any children but parents are tightening their belts and reducing hours...

The Juggler
05-11-2011, 10:34 PM
:( :( :( oh playmate (and everyone else posting on here) I am so sorry. really hope things pick up soon :(

Tealady
05-11-2011, 10:46 PM
I've discovered that this job has it's peaks and troughs. It seems when there's work there's loads and when it's quiet it's dead

kel1983
06-11-2011, 10:06 AM
This time last year I only had one mindee. Didnt get anymore till June 2011. I hated not having the work. I really feel for you all.

I hope business picks up for you all. I know that I will probably lose atleast 3 of mine next year when they turn 3 and tak up their free entitlements at nursery and pre-school.

sillysausage
06-11-2011, 03:29 PM
Some areas offer sustainability grants to childminders who can't fill their places. It is worth checking with your DO or local early years team. Not sure how it works but a childminding colleague got £500 when she was struggling and considering giving up. Wasn't a lot but it seriously helped.