PDA

View Full Version : Your childminding career so far...

Anon8319
04-11-2011, 06:15 PM
How long have you been childminding?

What brought you to it?

Is childminding what you expected? Do you enjoy it more or less than you thought you would?

What are your highs and lows of childminding?

Do you think childminding is your forever career?

There are many people here whose posts I read everyday and I know for sure that childminding is their vocation, their life and their forever career.

I think I have been unfortunate with my first clients being tricky and also very tiring because of early starts. I notice on days I get to start later or don't work the weekend as well, I get much more enjoyment from my job!

I have been childminding only 2 months! I have worked with children for about 11 years (I am 28), have a degree in child psych and education, a masters in education and I am a trained teacher. I have worked as a nanny, mentor/counsellor, tutor, carer to disabled chn, with children in care and as a teacher. So childminding is a culmination of a lot of experience and qualifications, and I decided after I had my daughter who is now a toddler, that I would like to do what I love from my own home and run things my own way. I don't run like lots of childminders, but that's fine as it's what makes us all unique and appeal to different parents.

I enjoy it less than I thought I would, unfortunately. I love working for myself and I like being a part of children's development and giving them the opportunities they wouldn't have if they went to nursery! I love making parents happy, but I hate it when they have ridiculous demands!

I've had a fair few lows - well documented on this forum!!!

The jury is out on whether it is my forever career. I've 42 years until I can retire - if I live that long - so probably not I'm ashamed to say! I'm not using it as a means to stay at home (although I did start because I was at a suitable juncture and it works well for my own family, like I said) - it is, as you all know, very hard work and I spent more quality one-to-one time with my daughter when I was working 23.5 hours a week until September! However, my husband has recently been diagnosed with an auto-immune disease which means he has to take a drug that can cause birth defects, so we probably won't be able to have any more biological children (which is devastating) so once my daughter is receiving her early years funding I might have reached my burn-out point.

Hopefully I get some families who will change my mind!!

pinky33
04-11-2011, 06:26 PM
Myself and my DP have been open for just over 2 years!

It has it's highs and lows but mosly highs. We wer both nannies for many years before this and quite frankly got fed up of working in other peoples homes.
We want to have a baby which would have meant us taking it in turns to take a little one to our nanny jobs and only being together during the day for play dates and this wouldn't have been ideal for us.
So us both being at home means we can parent our children together when we finally have one lol.

I guess it's our forever job unless nannying becomes popular again as we originally were meant to open a nanny agency, but then we could reduce our numbers and do both.

I can't remember your other questions lol.

pinky33
04-11-2011, 06:28 PM
Meant to add that I'm sorry to hear about your husband x

uf353432
04-11-2011, 06:28 PM
How long have you been childminding? Coming up for 3 yrs

What brought you to it? My childminder who cared for my daughter suggested it as she thought I would suit childminding. The more I looked into it the more I considered it could be a very flexible and profitable business given my location, proxemity to a school and the fact there are no other childminders in my immediate area.

Is childminding what you expected? Do you enjoy it more or less than you thought you would?

No childminding is nothing like I expected - I thought it would be a way of earning a bit of cash looking after other peoples kids, whilst seeing my own children grow up and develop and being available to go to my kids school activities without the problems of being tied to a boss saying no - you can't have time off.

The reality is its alot more involved, It has taken over my life and ironically I am a victim of my own success - in that I really struggle to juggle the demands of being a mum with the demands of being a CM. I can't even take my youngest to get her jabs because of the timetable of my day - its impossible and my husband will have to do it instead.

That all said I LOVE my job, am passionate about childcare, childminders in general, champion everything childminding in my local community and work hard to improve my knowledge by taking lots of courses and studying really hard. I adore all the kids in my care, have excellant links with the school, preschool, childrens centre and work effectively with all my parents. The only downside is that as a boss to myself I am incredibly demanding lol!

Lows - uncertainty really - i'm working really hard at the moment have lots of kids lots of families - earnings are pretty fabulous. BUT - I understand it all can go in a heartbeat. Either a parent looses a job, a child starts school or your reputation is hit hard by something or someone - I have only once felt incredibly vunerable by a situation that has occured and it was not a nice feeling at all.

Highs - the kids and the families and feeling like I am someone who is special in the kids lives and reliable constant for the parents. I've got quite a few kids who have been to other childminders - and they all rate me as the best. When you get an appraisal like that you know you have a winning formula and that makes it all worthwhile.

No - it won't be. But I will be linked to EY or childminders in the future - I don't know when or what - but I know an opportunity will present itself and I will run with it. Until then I am more than happy to keep doing this until the new opportunity presents itself.

Trouble
04-11-2011, 06:35 PM
How long have you been childminding?6 years

What brought you to it?I had to pay for private lessons for my daughter who is dyslexic

Is childminding what you expected? Do you enjoy it more or less than you thought you would?Some days i have the best days ever very rewarding but some days i hate it and it is a lonely job ,exhausting job

What are your highs and lows of childminding?high is taking 4 little ones on a train for a picnic, lows are tantrums and kids that scream all the time oh and some parents

Do you think childminding is your forever career? i am looking for another job now but here there arent that many unless your a farmer so no

There are many people here whose posts I read everyday and I know for sure that childminding is their vocation, their life and their forever career.

I think I have been unfortunate with my first clients being tricky and also very tiring because of early starts. I notice on days I get to start later or don't work the weekend as well, I get much more enjoyment from my job!

I have been childminding only 2 months! I have worked with children for about 11 years (I am 28), have a degree in child psych and education, a masters in education and I am a trained teacher. I have worked as a nanny, mentor/counsellor, tutor, carer to disabled chn, with children in care and as a teacher. So childminding is a culmination of a lot of experience and qualifications, and I decided after I had my daughter who is now a toddler, that I would like to do what I love from my own home and run things my own way. I don't run like lots of childminders, but that's fine as it's what makes us all unique and appeal to different parents.

I enjoy it less than I thought I would, unfortunately. I love working for myself and I like being a part of children's development and giving them the opportunities they wouldn't have if they went to nursery! I love making parents happy, but I hate it when they have ridiculous demands!

The jury is out on whether it is my forever career. I've 42 years until I can retire - if I live that long - so probably not I'm ashamed to say! I'm not using it as a means to stay at home (although I did start because I was at a suitable juncture and it works well for my own family, like I said) - it is, as you all know, very hard work and I spent more quality one-to-one time with my daughter when I was working 23.5 hours a week until September! However, my husband has recently been diagnosed with an auto-immune disease which means he has to take a drug that can cause birth defects, so we probably won't be able to have any more biological children (which is devastating) so once my daughter is receiving her early years funding I might have reached my burn-out point.

there are fami/lies out there:rolleyes:

blue bear
04-11-2011, 07:10 PM
I have been minding 15 years, it's my vocation I love it.
I've been really lucky and only have had lovely families and children.

I do worry whether the work will always be there, more because I really can't see me going 'to work' in the traditional sense I love doing what we (children and I )fancy

miss mopple
04-11-2011, 07:10 PM
8 years

What brought you to it?
I was working full time and missing my daughter so much. My sister was a childminder and suggested I register, so I did and I've never looked back :)

Its alot harder than I expected, and I wasn't banking on it being so based on the childs education rather than just being a second mum so to speak. Obviously EYFS has had a huge impact, and to be honest I think I enjoy the job more for it. It gives me focus and inspires me to constantly evolve my business. I love being my own boss and on the whole I love the kids.
Highs- definitely getting the big O. Not sure if I'll get it again, but tbh if I dont thats fine. Low- being told to put my concerns about a childs development in a box by a parent who wasnt prepared to listen until 'someone who knows what they are talking about' flags it :angry:

Yes. Love being my own boss and can't imagine doing anything else now

mufftie
04-11-2011, 07:25 PM
I'll be honnest I hate my job , there's not a day go by when I think when will this end
:eek:
But and its a big but I have a lovely bunch of very appreciative parents who children I do quite honestly adore , they are all friends who work together and love the fact that their children all come to me , I am despite the fact I don't enjoy my job very good at it and childcare comes naturally to me .

I fell into childminding because when my youngest son was little I worked in a garage as a qualified mechanic , back then tax credits didn't exist so I was forced to work at mcdonalds on the evening just to cover the childcare Bill, it dawned on me that whilst flipping burgers , it would be more profitable to become a childminder and then people could pay me the childcare rather than me having to pay it out , and so that's what I did
Financially I've never looked back but I really would rather go out to work especially now as my own family don't need me here so much

Ripeberry
04-11-2011, 08:00 PM
Registered in Jan 09 and started minding in Aug 09.
Came to it as my own children had been to a CM one day a week when they were small and I was doing voluntuary work for Age Concern, weeding old people's gardens and then doing meals on wheels.
Carried on until 7 months pregnant with DD2, but by then could not do the gardens and the smell of the meals was too much!

I knew I wanted to do some kind of caring job and when DD2 was 2yrs old I did Homecare for just under a year, working evenings and weekends, but I hardly saw my DH and the Homecare system is just run for profit and I did not think the customers were getting what they needed.

The EYFS came in the a month AFTER we had done our pre-reg course and we had not even looked at the information. So had to do it myself, but had great help from the Development Officer.

Highs, are being able to be at home for my kids every day, seeing mindees growing up and having fun with them. Being part of the community.Getting my Outstanding, when I was setting up and compiling my policies I said to myself "If this is not good enough, then I don't know what is!"

Lows, getting up early, cleaning the house every single day, being on best behaviour at all times, even when off-duty (small village). Putting my own kids needs last. Mindees come first. Parents who are late and the children always manage to hurt themselves in the time they SHOULD have left.

It won't be my forever job, as once both my DDs go to secondary school (4yrs time), then I will look for a part-time job and maybe help out more as a parent volunteer at the local pre-school and the school.

PixiePetal
04-11-2011, 08:20 PM
17 years

What brought you to it?
was a nanny before having my daughter, began registering when pregnant and ready to work when she was 6 months - natural progression for me

It was what I thought it was - things have changed a lot over the years and we are taken more seriously but have to work harder for it ie paperwork. I still love it though :)

Highs - some great families who are still family friends, spending days in the park/beach, doing what I want, when I want to
Lows - being reported and temp suspended - speedily cleared but the pain and upset was immense. It was then I realised just how much this all meant to me as it would have been easier to give up and clean toilets :(

for sure - I am 46 now and hope to continue for as long as I can find mindees

Mouse
04-11-2011, 08:53 PM
I got into it by accident. My friend asked me to look after her son when she was at work (I'd just left my job after having my 3rd child) and I did that for a few months before realising I was supposed to be registered!

I knew I wasn't going back to my office job as childcare was too expensive with 3 children, so I registered. I couldn't have been a stay at home mum, not working, as that wouldn't have suited me, so this meant I was working as well as being at home. I did it for the money & to stop myself from getting bored, but actually found I enjoyed it & was good at it :thumbsup: I also found it fitted in well with my family and suited us all.

I went on to have 2 more children and always planned to give up when my youngest started school. That was 6yrs ago and I'm still here :laughing: I'll keep going until I find I'm no longer enjoying it. I earn good money and would possibly struggle to find a job out of the house that pays so well. When I stop childminding, I'll probably stop working at all and become a lady of leisure!

Boris
06-11-2011, 08:07 PM
Just over a year

What brought you to it?
Had 2nd baby and couldn't afford to return to work. I had worked in childcare previously.

Is childminding what you expected?
Yes, I think I had a good idea of what it would be like.

Do you enjoy it more or less than you thought you would?
I do enjoy it but find it a bit lonely at times. I have just registered my mum as my assistant so I am looking forward to having some adult company!

Highs are definately being able to develop such lovely relationships with the children and families, seeing them progress and do new things. Being able to be at home with my babies too!

Lows probably the same as everyone else; chasing payments, fussy parents, amount of wasted food:angry:, messy house and hubby thinking I don't do anything all day!!

I would see myself in this career for the forseeable future but maybe not forever.

nannysue
06-11-2011, 08:27 PM
How long have i been childminding ....... forever !!!

31 years to be exact !!! :eek:

I came into it because of my love of children and wanting to make a difference to their lives ( i started working with Social Services, some very sad cases)

I did not expect to still be doing it all these later , but despite the lows, hard work ( and now so much paperwork !) i wouldn't change it for anything

I been lucky to have some fabulous children and parents which makes it all the more enjoyable and easier.

I hope you will enjoy many more years in chldminding :)

mandy moo
07-11-2011, 02:10 PM
3 yrs 8mths

What brought you to it?
Was working with a child with Down Syndrome, which finished when he went to secondary school :-(

No not sure wqhat I expected to be honest, just wanted to work with children and be there for mine when they got in from school.
highs - the kids, parents are ok too mostly
lows - only 2 really with Ofsted involved in both, but could have been a whole lot worse when I think about it

No, for the time being I will carry on childminding until Im satisfied that my own kids are not gonna set light to the house etc etc when Im not there!!
or prehaps untill my present parents dont need me any more, Im not thinking about taking anymore children on, as, if Im honest I really want to work in a Pre School/ Primary School setting.

Sorry too hear about your DH, sending a hug & as someone else said there are some decent families out there

singingcactus
07-11-2011, 02:56 PM
I've been minding 17 years now. I got into it when the friends of the little boy I was nannying for asked me to also care for their son. I was getting married at the same time so I just went ahead and registered the house and moved over to minding - rather than nannying.

My highs are very regular, when a plan comes together, when the kids have a blast, when I get an unexpected hug from a kid, a kiss on the cheek in the playground from a mum :eek: . My low was just a couple of years ago, when I was caring for a child with autism, when we were fighting to get him diagnosed, when more bad stuff than one person should ever have to deal with in a lifetime was thrown at this mum all at the same time. And another low was last week, when my little whirlwinds baby sister died. Another this month while the afore mentioned mum is waiting on possible life ending news from the docs. We get so involved with these families, we become friends and take on their children as our own, we unite with the mums and dads and become brothers and sisters of an extended family and when they hurt we hurt too.

But the highs get us through :)

I'm in it for the long haul - but some days when the plan is not coming together and the hugs are not there I think...hmm maybe shelf stacking is for me after all lol. Then the smiles come and the plan works, and child minding is for me again.

snufflepuff
07-11-2011, 04:02 PM
Almost 2 years

What brought you to it?
I have always worked in childcare so after my son was born it seemed the obvious next step for me.

I don't enjoy it as much as I thought I would. I find it very hard to be honest.

Highs- playing with the children, seeing them learn new things, when parents show how much they appreciate me. Lows- it's really uncertain and you can easily drop to no money coming in just like that, parents thinking they can walk all over you, it's quite a lonely job, your home is not your own anymore, people generally don't understand how much we have to do.

Unfortunately not. I'm pregnant and probably won't come back to minding after my baby is born. It's just not worth the stress I've been through.

uf353432
07-11-2011, 04:49 PM
How long have i been childminding ....... forever !!!

31 years to be exact !!! :eek:

I came into it because of my love of children and wanting to make a difference to their lives ( i started working with Social Services, some very sad cases)

I did not expect to still be doing it all these later , but despite the lows, hard work ( and now so much paperwork !) i wouldn't change it for anything

I been lucky to have some fabulous children and parents which makes it all the more enjoyable and easier.

I hope you will enjoy many more years in chldminding :)

WOW!!!! doths my cap in your direction! :clapping: :clapping: you'll have to give yourself a long service medal or bottle of whiskey!