PDA

View Full Version : ages and stages help please

VeggieSausage
04-11-2011, 05:59 PM
Hi all,
Have put this in general chat in the hope of more responses :)

When I had my inspection I was told that I should link my observations to the ages and stages that a child is at. I find this very difficult in interpreting what the EYFS says in each age group and looking at what a child is doing and seeing exactly where they are in the age categories. I have a mindee who has a few issues and before I speak to mum I want to carefully observe and see where lo is in the age categories and see where mindee is falling behind. Is there an easy way to do this? what does everyone else do? and if possible is there a document that has a list of skills/achievements and child should be achieving for each category - that is more straightforward than the book? Sorry to go on - hope that is clear!!

Thanks in advance
Happy its Friday xxxx

uf353432
04-11-2011, 06:10 PM
what are the specific issues? because you could link to EYFS or if its talking and communicating you could assess them on ECAT (every childs a talker) there is an excellant assesment sheet which will help you pinpoint exactly where a problem lies in communication, language, listening and understanding.

Someone on here very kindly put all the 6 areas of EYFS onto single sheets according to the age ranges. I had a quick look to try and link it for you as you might find it useful.

Wendybird
04-11-2011, 07:52 PM
I'm a newbie having trouble with this too. I've got a baseline assessment form that I use (maybe I got it on here?) based on what I see as the child is settling in. The ages and stages bit seems soooo much and soooo vague and soooo repetitive. But it has helped me clarify where there may be general areas I can focus on. As to another source for normative child development the book the NHS give you when you have a baby has a lot about development in it. The title is something like 'The First Five Years' or equally creative. I tossed mine (before CM) and need to get another copy!