PDA

View Full Version : Enviromental Health-Help please!!!!

charlieamber
04-11-2011, 04:42 PM
OMG, I have just had my welcome visit from my developement worker as just registered after having a 3 year break ( was minding for 21 years before this!) and she asked me if I have registered with the EH.
I said no, as didnt realise I had to then went on to tell me if I was preparing raw meat and veg ( yes she means carrot, cucumber sticks) I will be told by the EH that I need a second sink in my kitchen installed for handwashing only ( downstairs bathroom sink wont be good enough!!!!!!) Apparently if I was to give the minded kids turkey dummers but not give them fresh turkey breast unless I have this second sink, I think the world has gone crazy, feed kids c**P but not fresh unless like I said I have a second sink LOL

So is this a regulation or law that we have to register with EH, is there a way out of it! I have only had a new kitchen installed 10 months ago and there is no way I want or am going to get a second kitchen LOL

Please help

sarah707
04-11-2011, 05:25 PM
Yes you need to register with the Environmental Health at your local council.

No you do not need a second sink. It is not a requirement under any legislation for childminders.

I suggest you download Safer food better business for childminders and have a look at the requirements.

hth :D

rickysmiths
04-11-2011, 05:36 PM
Goodness don't worry I think your Development Worker needs to chill!!

As Sarah says you don't need a second sink in your kitchen! Goodness most of us would be out of business if we had to do that!

Here is the link to Safer food better business for childminders. If you give them a ring they will send you your folder free of charge :thumbsup:

http://www.food.gov.uk/foodindustry/regulation/hygleg/hyglegresources/sfbb/sfbbchildminders/

All you need to do is have a clean kitchen, know how to store food in your fridge, freezer and cupboards safely. Know how to get food home eg chilled foods in a hot summer, safely. You also need to keep all food receipts for 3 months in case there is a food poisoning incident and they need to trace where your food has come from. How you clean utensils and equipment used and the kitchen and where do you keep your cleaning fluids etc.

Please don't panic!

zippy
04-11-2011, 07:53 PM
must be the same develpment officer that told my friend we are not allowed to do any housework whatsoever when minding, no hoovering, dustpan only, not even washing up, yeah right, my kids help me put socks in pairs, unload the washer, even got a pic of one actually doing the hoovering in her learning journal, load of twoddel, silly woman lol.

Pipsqueak
04-11-2011, 07:58 PM
OMG, I have just had my welcome visit from my developement worker as just registered after having a 3 year break ( was minding for 21 years before this!) and she asked me if I have registered with the EH.
I said no, as didnt realise I had to then went on to tell me if I was preparing raw meat and veg ( yes she means carrot, cucumber sticks) I will be told by the EH that I need a second sink in my kitchen installed for handwashing only ( downstairs bathroom sink wont be good enough!!!!!!) Apparently if I was to give the minded kids turkey dummers but not give them fresh turkey breast unless I have this second sink, I think the world has gone crazy, feed kids c**P but not fresh unless like I said I have a second sink LOL

So is this a regulation or law that we have to register with EH, is there a way out of it! I have only had a new kitchen installed 10 months ago and there is no way I want or am going to get a second kitchen LOL

Please help

Think your DO is

a) off her trolley
b) totally incompetent and doesn't know her rear end from her elbow
c) pulling your leg and thinks it April 1st

As said yes we need to reg with EH and the rest is twaddle:thumbsup:

karensmart4
04-11-2011, 08:32 PM
EH are nothing to worry about, I've had 2 visits now and they were both fine :)

charlieamber
04-11-2011, 09:16 PM
Awww thank you every one for your replies, My DO did actually say she thinks its stupid and they are flighting against this happening, but has heard in last 3 months of 4 childminder being told this in my area. Like I said no way am getting a second sink but will register with EH and see what happens LOL.

Will let you know if I am told same thing ( hope not LOL)